Range Trip to ASC

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 4

Range Trip to ASC

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Just got home from American Shooting Center. It was a great day to go shooting. The place was almost full. They put up a temporary trailer since there building was ruined from Harvey. Another good thing...when i went in to pay i noticed they were selling Black Rifle coffees and t-shirts. I bought two bags of coffee on the spot. Saves on shipping/handling charges. I took two new shooters to teach them safe gun handling and to show them the ropes. They were thrilled and did quite well on paper. It was a fun day on the range. :fire

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Range Trip to ASC

Post by puma guy »

Take Down Sicko wrote:Just got home from American Shooting Center. It was a great day to go shooting. The place was almost full. They put up a temporary trailer since there building was ruined from Harvey. Another good thing...when i went in to pay i noticed they were selling Black Rifle coffees and t-shirts. I bought two bags of coffee on the spot. Saves on shipping/handling charges. I took two new shooters to teach them safe gun handling and to show them the ropes. They were thrilled and did quite well on paper. It was a fun day on the range. :fire
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

JRG

Post by JRG »

Take Down Sicko wrote:Just got home from American Shooting Center. It was a great day to go shooting. The place was almost full. They put up a temporary trailer since there building was ruined from Harvey. Another good thing...when i went in to pay i noticed they were selling Black Rifle coffees and t-shirts. I bought two bags of coffee on the spot. Saves on shipping/handling charges. I took two new shooters to teach them safe gun handling and to show them the ropes. They were thrilled and did quite well on paper. It was a fun day on the range. :fire

Good on you!!

Joe

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have not been there since Harvey, and need to head out there to zero in some rifles. I'm not a huge fan of their pricing structure, but they are the only game in town for those of us in that part of Houston.

Cheapsk8

Post by Cheapsk8 »

There is a nice indoor range in Stafford hwy 90 and Dulles ave closet major intersection. That has a 50 yard indoor range.

https://texasgunclub.com/
Soccerdad1995 wrote:I have not been there since Harvey, and need to head out there to zero in some rifles. I'm not a huge fan of their pricing structure, but they are the only game in town for those of us in that part of Houston.
In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I have not been there since Harvey, and need to head out there to zero in some rifles. I'm not a huge fan of their pricing structure, but they are the only game in town for those of us in that part of Houston.
Better hurry before it gets too hot. I quit going in the middle of summer. I was cooking in my own juices one day last year and didnt go back till it got cooler.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I wish they have a senior discount, don't mind the heat. Years ago I was a member, liked shooting the steel plates.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Take Down Sicko wrote:
Better hurry before it gets too hot. I quit going in the middle of summer. I was cooking in my own juices one day last year and didnt go back till it got cooler.
The last time I went was last July. I brought a couple liter sized bottled waters and they only lasted me 2 hours. By then I was ready to leave anyway. It definitely does get hot.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Cheapsk8 wrote:There is a nice indoor range in Stafford hwy 90 and Dulles ave closet major intersection. That has a 50 yard indoor range.

I have been meaning to check that place out. I am a member at Boyert, which has 25 yard lanes at their Katy location, so I don't get a ton of added benefit by going out to 50. ASC has 300 yard lanes available.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Cheapsk8 wrote:There is a nice indoor range in Stafford hwy 90 and Dulles ave closet major intersection. That has a 50 yard indoor range.

I have been meaning to check that place out. I am a member at Boyert, which has 25 yard lanes at their Katy location, so I don't get a ton of added benefit by going out to 50. ASC has 300 yard lanes available.
I just took a quick look at the Texas Gun Club site. The pricing seems in line with other ranges. Expect to pay $25 to $30 to shoot some rifles, $20 for handguns, one hour limit. No additional fees for extra firearms. The target retrieval system is a big plus compared to ASC. No overly constrictive rules in general (ASC restricts rate of fire to one round per second, and holster work is allowed at Texas GC with approval).

The one rule that is just plain odd is regarding brass retrieval. You are not allowed to pick up brass from the floor, but they will give you a bag of brass, same quantity and caliber that you are shooting. This is cited as a "safety issue". Not really a problem, but just odd. No reloads will be an issue depending on how that is enforced. If they want to look through my bag of loose packed rounds or require me to unload magazines then it may be a no-go, or at least a "no-return". And can anyone please explain how steel cased rounds can "damage range equipment"? The casing only hits the lane partitions. Does it really do significantly more damage to these walls than a brass casing does?

Net-net, I will definitely check it out at some point. Maybe tomorrow if I have time.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

There are some good things, and some not-so-good about ASC.

Good:
  • Varmint Village - great place to bring the kiddos out shooting .22 at a bunch of steel gophers at various distances
  • Longer-range shooting - if you qualify at 300 yards, you can shoot up to 600 yards there.
  • Sporting Clays and Trap & Skeet - can't get much of that done at the indoor ranges
Not as good:
  • Per-gun pricing - you pay per gun you bring, not how long you stay
  • Cease-fires - a few too many for my preference (but if you shoot anywhere to the right of (and including) Varmint Village - generally all the longer-range areas, you have self-called cease fires, rather than scheduled ones.
Generally, a fun place to shoot.

My only quirk with them is that they have a VERY nice LTC qualification area that sits empty most of the time. I asked if outside LTC instructors could pay to use that one in the vast number of unused hours, and they said no. They teach classes there, and don't want to let others use it. As a businessman, I don't understand the logic. I'm going to teach my students, and I'm going to shoot somewhere, so why not (a) introduce them to your range, and (b) make a little $$ when the real estate is not in use by your own people. Oh well - it's their business, and they can run it how they want. I take my students to other ranges.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Vol Texan wrote:There are some good things, and some not-so-good about ASC.

Good:
  • Varmint Village - great place to bring the kiddos out shooting .22 at a bunch of steel gophers at various distances
  • Longer-range shooting - if you qualify at 300 yards, you can shoot up to 600 yards there.
  • Sporting Clays and Trap & Skeet - can't get much of that done at the indoor ranges
Not as good:
  • Per-gun pricing - you pay per gun you bring, not how long you stay
  • Cease-fires - a few too many for my preference (but if you shoot anywhere to the right of (and including) Varmint Village - generally all the longer-range areas, you have self-called cease fires, rather than scheduled ones.
Generally, a fun place to shoot.

My only quirk with them is that they have a VERY nice LTC qualification area that sits empty most of the time. I asked if outside LTC instructors could pay to use that one in the vast number of unused hours, and they said no. They teach classes there, and don't want to let others use it. As a businessman, I don't understand the logic. I'm going to teach my students, and I'm going to shoot somewhere, so why not (a) introduce them to your range, and (b) make a little $$ when the real estate is not in use by your own people. Oh well - it's their business, and they can run it how they want. I take my students to other ranges.
I forgot about varmint village. I need to take my 9 year old there one of these weekends. The frequency of cease fires ties in with the lack of a target retrieval system. Long walks down range could also be included as a con. Even if you don't mind walking, it is always a bit unnerving to be walking in front of the firing line.

I agree on the LTC qualification area. I know that for the first year after getting my LTC I shot almost exclusively at the range where I qualified because I felt comfortable there. If the folks running ASC were smart, they would not only let outside instructors rent the area but would also make a point of being friendly to all the students, and explaining the range rules and pricing, etc. Then again, I think ASC focuses a lot on rifle shooters so maybe they aren't really all that interested in getting newer handgun shooters to frequent?

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

ASC has a cease fire every twenty minutes to allow for target change and for new arrivals to post there targets. I took my LTC course at ASC just over two years ago. It was a fun time.

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

Took a trip to the America Shooting Center after voting today. I almost had the whole pistol range to myself. Only two other guys shooting pistols and they left soon after i arrived. The new Sig Sauer P320 9mm is a great shooter. I did much better today at 10 yards than i did the first time i shot it and the new tucker holster and belt are just about fully broke-in.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”