Your own land

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SW40VE
Posts in topic: 1

Your own land

Post by SW40VE »

What are the stipulations to shooting on your own property? Do you have to own a certain number of acres? Does it depend on the county?
Springfield Armory XD 9mm Service
Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
ROHM RG-26
Yugo SKS (DIY USA Transplant)
56 days to receive my CHL

Renegade

Re: Your own land

Post by Renegade »

SW40VE wrote:What are the stipulations to shooting on your own property? Do you have to own a certain number of acres? Does it depend on the county?
It varies by city/county. There are some state laws that give protection, based on how much property you own.

Witness P
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Witness P »

In collin county you must have a minimum of 10 acres to be able to shoot, and that's the only stipulation.

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

Witness P wrote:In collin county you must have a minimum of 10 acres to be able to shoot, and that's the only stipulation.
Not exactly. That ordinance only applies to folks in platted subdivisions. If you are unincorporated and are not in a platted subdivision, common sense is all you need.

Witness P
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Witness P »

I guess cops aren't always right in there information on every topic that comes there way. I was told that you can not shoot on incorporated land period, and you could only shoot on un-incorporated land that had a minimum of 10 acres of space, which is a big jump from the 5 acres it used to be last year.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Witness P wrote:I guess cops aren't always right in there information on every topic that comes there way. I was told that you can not shoot on incorporated land period, and you could only shoot on un-incorporated land that had a minimum of 10 acres of space, which is a big jump from the 5 acres it used to be last year.
Most municipalities have ordinances against shooting within the city limits.

But you are correct; cops can sometimes be mistaken.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The situation is complicated. Every city that I have looked at regulates discharging firearms within city limits. Some prohibit it entirely. Some allow it on large tracts. Cities can't override hunting regulations. Therefore it is sometimes legal to hunt where you could not target shoot. The west end of Galveston Island is like that.

- Jim
Last edited by seamusTX on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex B

Tarrant

Post by Rex B »

I'm on less than an acre in a smaller unincorporated subdivision surrounded by Ft. Worth and Keller. It's my understanding that I can shoot anywhere on my property as long as I'm safe and nothing leaves the property.
This has been corroborated by the Deputy who attends our crime watch group. When asked what to do about coyotes on our property, his answer was "Shoot 'em".
I routinely target shoot with a .22 in my backyard with no problems. I could legally shoot larger bores if I had a proper backstop, but I don't want to push my luck. In fact, all I shoot from the .22s is CB caps
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Return to “Shooting Ranges”