No more American Shooting Center (Houston) for me...

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: No more American Shooting Center (Houston) for me...

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Per gun? Wow, I guess I'm sheltered, I've never been to a range that does that...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

dragun

Post by dragun »

Yeah I'm with others, I won't spend my money when treated like that. Should have tried to sell your gift certificate to someone there.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Thunder Gun is has its pricing as per gun or per person which ever is greater. They have a 100 yard range the price is 12.01 currently per gun/person.

Gun emporium in Conroe is also per gun or per person its pricing is 14 for the first and 7 thereafter.

The indoor ranges in the area dont have 100 yards but all charge by per person per hour with unlimited guns.

Thunder gun usually gives a wrist band since your paying for the day basically. So I guess you could just bring in one gun at a time. I have only ever shot there with one gun. When I have brought the wife since we paid for two people I did occupy two pistol lanes, I figured that was fair and they were not packed.

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

Wow I am glad I have my neighborhood range High Noon. Great owners friendly people.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vol Texan »

I have shot at ASC, and I've had good experiences there. Other than their dedicated .22 range for kids (Varmint Village) with a bunch of steel gophers to shoot at, I don't go very often. The folks there have been very friendly and welcoming to my daughter since she started shooting there at age 4, so I've always been supportive of them. The 'per gun' policy is a problem, though, so I go elsewhere when I have several that I want to shoot.

But for those who advise, "don't spend your money there", please remember one thing: This is a gift certificate that the OP talks about. The money is already spent, and the ASC already has it in the bank. Just go, use up the remainder on ammo, or targets, or something else, and then move on. There's no reason to leave this money on the table. If you do, nobody wins except ASC.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

KLB

Post by KLB »

Some places charge by the gun, some by the shooter. It's the owner's range and the owner's call. And it's the shooter's call to balance cost against convenience.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Vol Texan wrote:I have shot at ASC, and I've had good experiences there. Other than their dedicated .22 range for kids (Varmint Village) with a bunch of steel gophers to shoot at, I don't go very often. The folks there have been very friendly and welcoming to my daughter since she started shooting there at age 4, so I've always been supportive of them. The 'per gun' policy is a problem, though, so I go elsewhere when I have several that I want to shoot.

But for those who advise, "don't spend your money there", please remember one thing: This is a gift certificate that the OP talks about. The money is already spent, and the ASC already has it in the bank. Just go, use up the remainder on ammo, or targets, or something else, and then move on. There's no reason to leave this money on the table. If you do, nobody wins except ASC.
Good advice, but a little late. The OP was from 2008. :lol: :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Mick22

Post by Mick22 »

I know my local range does not allow spectators, probably due to people claiming to be spectators and end up shooting a few rounds.

Rules are rules, however, they probably should have only charged her for 1 gun.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Pawpaw wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:I have shot at ASC, and I've had good experiences there. Other than their dedicated .22 range for kids (Varmint Village) with a bunch of steel gophers to shoot at, I don't go very often. The folks there have been very friendly and welcoming to my daughter since she started shooting there at age 4, so I've always been supportive of them. The 'per gun' policy is a problem, though, so I go elsewhere when I have several that I want to shoot.

You're absolutely right. I saw a bunch of things popping up on this today, and I had no idea it had been necroposted 8 full years later!

Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

KLB wrote:Some places charge by the gun, some by the shooter. It's the owner's range and the owner's call. And it's the shooter's call to balance cost against convenience.
:iagree:

But it is troubling when there are not many alternatives, and the pricing structure seems illogical. A gun range is selling the use of their facility. So it makes sense that if I use more, I pay more. Charging per gun just does not make sense unless I can somehow shoot more than one gun at a time. Charging based on time, or even rounds fired makes more sense. I am actually hard pressed to come up with a worse example of how a range could determine their pricing schema.

That said, yes ultimately a business can price their goods or services however they want. As consumers we can best speak with our dollars to the extent that alternatives are available.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Vol Texan wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

You're absolutely right. I saw a bunch of things popping up on this today, and I had no idea it had been necroposted 8 full years later!

Oh, I knew how it happened. I thought the same thing at first... then I saw in the menu when the thread was opened.

I chose to pick on you because I knew you could take it. ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Pawpaw wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:
Oh, I knew how it happened. I thought the same thing at first... then I saw in the menu when the thread was opened.

But I'm a delicate snowflake. I've been offended terribly. I need to retreat to my safe space before you utter another trigger word at me.

:biggrinjester:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Now now. Take as long a break as you need to, Snowflake! "rlol"

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Vol Texan wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:

But I'm a delicate snowflake. I've been offended terribly. I need to retreat to my safe space before you utter another trigger word at me.

:biggrinjester:
Trigger? Did someone say trigger? We need to ban these triggers. They are weapons of war and have no place on our streets*

* Except for the weapons carried by my security detail, of course.

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Just got home from American Shooting Centers. They are finally back open since yesterday (6-16-2016). I had to cut my trip there short due to the heat and humidity. I couldnt see due to the steam in my safety glasses. Shot about a hundred and seventy five rounds and packed my bag and came home. Had good chat with the range guy and a guy shooting next to me. Was a fun time.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”