No more American Shooting Center (Houston) for me...

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bullseye10x
Posts in topic: 2

No more American Shooting Center (Houston) for me...

Post by bullseye10x »

A few weeks ago, I got a $100 gift certificate for ASC as a birthday present. Finally got out there yesterday, brought lots of toys, and was really looking forward to shooting because I haven't been to a range in awhile. So I check in at the clubhouse, grabbed a few extra targets and box of .44 mag ammo that was actually a decent price. Got up to the counter and told the guy that I have several rifles and pistols to shoot. He asks me how many people and I tell him just me; my girlfriend had come along but was just going to watch. He says he has to charge me muli-gun passes for TWO people (?!) so my total was almost $50...

I asked the cashier why am I being charged for two shooters if I'm the only one, which I thought was a fair question. Before he can even answer, the manager who was standing there jumps in and goes off about how much it costs to run the place, how I need to be more supportive of my local range, and basically stop complaining. I explained to him that I understood all that, and I'd been there several times before with guests and didn't recall ever having to pay for someone who wasn't going to shoot. He said that's always been their policy, and that "people come in here all the time trying to tell us how to run our business". Then he says "it's only a little bit of money and you get to shoot all day here" etc... Well, I'm not in the habit of paying for things I don't use no matter what they cost. I replied that he can run his business however he sees fit, and will probably not be coming back if that's the way he feels about it.

At this point, I asked if I could get the remaining $50 on my gift certificate refunded, and of course he says no. Then he tells me that I should come by myself next time to avoid paying extra, and I should take the rest of my gift certificate and buy ammo from them because I'll be "paying twice as much in six months"... Right, so now I am getting ticked and decided to shut my mouth before saying something I'd regret. So I politely asked him for his business card and corporate address. He gives it to me with a funny look, and I said I just wanted to see who the new owners were (they were bought out by some investment firm not too long ago). Got the info and went on my way - Since I paid for two people (against my intentions), we both ended up shooting and had an OK time. I just don't think I was treated very well as a paying customer. So I'll probably use the rest of this gift certificate up and will be staying away from there after that. I am also planning to wite a letter to their corporate HQ explaining why I will not be supporting them any more.

Just thought I'd share to see if anyone here has had similar experiences, and provide a word of caution if you plan to bring any non-shooting guests to ASC.
Last edited by bullseye10x on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nuparadigm
Posts in topic: 1

Re: No more American Shooting Center (Houston) for me...

Post by nuparadigm »

I've not had a similar experience at ASC, but I'm not very fond of their per-weapon pricing policy. As far as the "2nd shooter charge for an observer" goes - well, that a new one on me. The bottom line, of course, is that there are other places to shoot and I'll go to them before I'll go to ASC.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I use to go there until they started charging by the gun. I asked the manager that if I could only fire one at a time, what does it matter how many I bring? He just looked at me and said that it was policy to charge per gun. I haven't been back since and won't be taking them my business.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

bullseye10x wrote:... He said that's always been their policy, and that "people come in here all the time trying to tell us how to run our business".
That's the perfect time to respond, "I don't like people telling me how I have to spend my money, either."

And then leave.

I'm amazed that you stayed and spent your money. At that point, protests are futile. Correcting unacceptable behavior requires instant negative feedback -- and nothing says "negative" to a business manager like demanding a refund right there on the spot.

htxred

Post by htxred »

i woulda bodyslamed him.

ok j/k. i only enjoy AC maybe a month out of the year since the weather is only nice about a month out of the year here.

oilman

Post by oilman »

Have not been there in a while myself.

John

Post by John »

pretty much the same here. Used to go often, but they are just too expensive now.
JohnC

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I haven't been to ASC since I switched from IPSC to IDPA about 11 years ago. Since the range is on government land, perhaps a complaint to the correct entity would help. I know the reservoir it's in was built and maintained by the Army Corps. of Engineers, but I'm pretty sure the land is owned by Harris County. While pricing is a business decision, making government land available to the public at reasonable cost is still the county's goal and business.

Chas.

Topic author
bullseye10x
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bullseye10x »

I'll be sending a letter to the new owners, asking them for a refund of my remaining balance on the gift certificate (since the manager said no). If they don't want to do that, then I'll eventually spend what's left and not return or recommend them to anyone else.

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

After a bad exp there, and Baileys, I now only shoot at PSC.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I have a membership to ASC, I was there on Weds of last week with my brother visiting from NY. They are closed on Mondays, they decided to pour new concrete on Weds. All auto pistols had to stop and leave, the shells were getting in the way of pouring the concrete. Think they would have poured it on Monday. :banghead:

jpierce30

Post by jpierce30 »

PSC is the best way to go!!

macktruckturner

Post by macktruckturner »

Chances are I will not be shooting there when I lose my active duty military status, it was rather painful to shell out their fees before I was a soldier, and for all the restrictions I just can't see myself paying that again. Of course, I'll be moving to Austin when I get out of the Army anyway, so the only cause I'd have for going to ASC again would be during visits home.
I am the Infantry, FOLLOW ME!

Blog, photo site, Flickr page

TxCHL holder, NRA Member (EPL program), Combat Veteran (3/3ID, OIF3/OIF5), Constitutionalist

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have some AR15 builds that I want to get zeroed in at 100 yards. Are there any good alternatives to ASC? I live in Katy and work in Houston. I really don't want to pay $5 per gun to fire a handful of rounds on top of an $18 base charge.

I have a membership to Boyert Shooting Center, and they will let me shoot my AR's, but they only go out to 25 yards.

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I have some AR15 builds that I want to get zeroed in at 100 yards. Are there any good alternatives to ASC? I live in Katy and work in Houston. I really don't want to pay $5 per gun to fire a handful of rounds on top of an $18 base charge.

I have a membership to Boyert Shooting Center, and they will let me shoot my AR's, but they only go out to 25 yards.
Carter's in Spring has 100yds, but I believe that they charge fee per shooter/gun to maximize as well. I quit going there due to lack of safety overall.

Maybe Thunder-something in Porter?

Return to “Shooting Ranges”