Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

loscar141
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Anyone been to Hotwells Shooting Range in Cypress?

Post by loscar141 »

I have been to hot wells a couple of times.

The good.
the prices for the ranges are reasonable if your only taking a few guns and lots of people.
they provide a spotter scope to all the rifle stations.
you can shoot shotguns there.
you can bring and shoot all types of ammo. not sure on the shotgun ammo.
you can shoot as long as you want.

that's all I can think of, I'm sure there is more but that's all I have.

The bad.
Ammo prices are not competitive, a box of 50 .22lr is around 8 bucks, a box of 15 00buck shells is like 21 dollars.
When there is a wait to get on the range, it is a long wait.
When the weather is bad, they stop the shooting
And the worst thing for me are the smokers, because it outside the smokers just keep on smoking.
its bad for me cause i quit smoking and when i see someone smoking i want a cigarette so bad.
I have been smoke free coming up on one year.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sjfcontrol »

Keep the faith regarding quitting smoking. After a year thing get easier. I quit in 1989, it was the hardest thing I've had to do, but it's worth it. On very rare occasions I still find myself reaching to my shirt pocket, and then wondering what I was reaching for -- and then realize I was reaching for a cigarette. Kinda shocking when that happens, but it's shear habit. I have had NO desire to smoke for many years, and when around smokers I find the smell very annoying and discusting. The worst, though, is when cleaning up after family has been visiting and I get to empty the (outside) ashtrays. That smell of stale cigarette butts nearly makes me physically sick. You'll get there.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

loscar141

Post by loscar141 »

sjfcontrol wrote:Keep the faith regarding quitting smoking. After a year thing get easier. I quit in 1989, it was the hardest thing I've had to do, but it's worth it. On very rare occasions I still find myself reaching to my shirt pocket, and then wondering what I was reaching for -- and then realize I was reaching for a cigarette. Kinda shocking when that happens, but it's shear habit. I have had NO desire to smoke for many years, and when around smokers I find the smell very annoying and discusting. The worst, though, is when cleaning up after family has been visiting and I get to empty the (outside) ashtrays. That smell of stale cigarette butts nearly makes me physically sick. You'll get there.
Thank you for your encouragement, I really appreciate it. I can go weeks without thinking about it, When I first quit I never would of thought that was possible, I was thinking about smoking every single minute. I just have to not let my guard down.

Blackie

Post by Blackie »

cdshoot wrote:Hey Guys, Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Cheryl, my Mom, Dallas and I run Hot Wells, and I thought I would take a few moments to answer questions and explain a few things. We sell ear protection for a $1.00 a pair, safety glasses for $3.00 to $5.00. Our pistol ammo prices (when we can get them) are very competitive. We buy our shotgun shells from Walmart or Academy, prices are decent but not the best, and frankly our rifle ammo price as a rule stinks, we just don’t have a good supplier so I always suggest Walmart or Academy. Thanks for your kind words Jed, am glad you enjoy shooting out here, but I wanted to let you know that the guards you think of as sun guards are actually there to keep people from shooting over the berm. As you folks know it is really building up out here and we take all possible precautions to make sure all shots stay on our property, that is the reason Carter’s, American and us have gone to the no double-taps or rapid-fire rules. Too many people just do not have control enough of their weapons and quite frankly we are fighting for our very survival. Indoor ranges still allow it as they have more control where that bullet is going. TD, I took a little offense at the way you spoke of my Range Officer, I understand your need to double-tap as I fuss at my concealed students all the time to learn how to do it, which is why we offer tactical classes or recommend that they go to Shiloh at least occasionally. However, there are at least 10 signs stating no doubles or rapid on the range before you even start shooting. The fact that you said he had to tell you twice, I feel, says you had no respect for him. I have 24 of the finest young men in Cypress working for me instead of sitting on their butts at home, three of them just this year have become Marines or will be one in the next 2 months. And I am willing to bet that when he talked to you he treated you respectfully and said Sir (although generally we can be testy on the second reminder). So I do not look at them as teenage “rangemasters” I look at them as fine young men whose first job is to keep my customers safe and they do an excellent job and I could not be prouder if they were my own. Believe me when I say we wish we did not have to put these restrictions, we love this business and wish only to have happy customers, and I think we have enough enemies to the gun world without tearing up each other. Thank-you to those that have supported us and anytime you have a complaint I hope you will bring it to me, I will do my best to fix it or explain why I can’t. Thanks for your time. Cheryl 832-279-0145
Cheryl,
I do not live in Houston now, I live in Copperas Cove, Texas.
I dearly wish you guys had a range out here in the Cove. I shot at Hot Wells regularly when I lived in Houston in the 80's and early 90's,
and the experience was very enjoyable. Except for the Bull Snake that startled me by crawling over my foot on the pistol range!
(I let him walk/crawl)!
We have one range over here that allows rapid fire, but they have a 40' berm for a backstop out in Lampasas county 5 miles from
The Cove.
Tell Dallas I said hello. I still have a pistol case she gave me back then. Doubt she remembers me tho.
Joe Black

Blackie

Post by Blackie »

loscar141 wrote:I have been to hot wells a couple of times.

The good.
the prices for the ranges are reasonable if your only taking a few guns and lots of people.
they provide a spotter scope to all the rifle stations.
you can shoot shotguns there.
you can bring and shoot all types of ammo. not sure on the shotgun ammo.
you can shoot as long as you want.

that's all I can think of, I'm sure there is more but that's all I have.

The bad.
Ammo prices are not competitive, a box of 50 .22lr is around 8 bucks, a box of 15 00buck shells is like 21 dollars.
When there is a wait to get on the range, it is a long wait.
When the weather is bad, they stop the shooting
And the worst thing for me are the smokers, because it outside the smokers just keep on smoking.
its bad for me cause i quit smoking and when i see someone smoking i want a cigarette so bad.
I have been smoke free coming up on one year.
Loscar141,
Keep up on the quitting. I quit cold turkey 20 years ago and haven't looked back.
Even the owners will advise you to stop in town to buy ammo. Who does that anymore?
Blackie.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

Hey Blackie,
Welcome to the forum! :tiphat:

You may not know it, but you revived a thread that is several years old, and the folks you are replying to, are not active on the forum anymore.

Great to have you aboard, take some time to look through the forum, you will see the most recent topics, on the board index page.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Shooting Ranges”