Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 2

Collin Co Gun Range Closing

Post by Piney »

Greetings --

Just curious-- any of your folks who shoot at the Collin Co range-- I went to the CC IDPA web site (http://www.ccidpa.org/) to check on schedules and saw the notice that the club will no longer be able to shoot at the range in McKinney.

The notice said the range was closing due to restrictions imposed on the Range by the City back in 2001.

Can anyone (briefly) enlighten me as to what the regulations were/are that limited the range's operations, and thus forced it to close ?

Thanks--

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

The city of McKinney annexed the property and shortly thereafter decided, based on complaints from a non-resident of the city, to impose restrictions on hours of operation.

No shooting before 11am on weekends. Lots of people used to shoot early.
No shooting on Sundays. Almost a third of the revenue base.
No shooting after 6pm. A lot of people used to stop by after work.
No full auto. Raytheon used to use the range for testing.
(I'm sure there's more, I just don't remember.)

The range and the owners fought it in court, and initially things looked pretty good, with a decent demonstration of the severe financial impact of the hours and days restrictions, at the least we expected them to get grandfathered, but then a political judge decided against them and it's been all downhill since.

Actually the city wants the property for its planned airport expansions and this was the easiest way for them to get at it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Jfreeman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jfreeman »

Now that sucks! I did not even know it was there until recently as I did not go up that far north very often. Now that I have been planning to go I find this out. Does anyone know who soon this will happen?

age_ranger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by age_ranger »

Not too far east of there is the APG Range. Luckily they opened up not long ago. I wish they'd get some benches set up. Right now, it's pretty much setup for "roast in the sun" shooting.

Pity about the CCGR.....another one bites the dust. Is that two or three to close this year?

Topic author
Piney

Post by Piney »

THe Collin County IDPA (http://www.ccidpa.org) has a note that their last match there is 8/26.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

age_ranger wrote:Not too far east of there is the APG Range. Luckily they opened up not long ago. I wish they'd get some benches set up. Right now, it's pretty much setup for "roast in the sun" shooting.

Pity about the CCGR.....another one bites the dust. Is that two or three to close this year?
Details on the "APG Range" please?
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

jbenat

Two Outdoor Ranges down.....

Post by jbenat »

The only two outdoor ranges on Hwy 380 are now gone. The Back Woods Traps, bought out by the developers of Savana Subdivision several months ago and now the Collin County Gun Range has been forced out by the airport expansion (I hear) so they could buy the land cheaper with a defunct business on it.
We used to be able to drive about 5 or 10 minutes to the Back Woods Traps, and back our car up to the shooting line bench. You don't know what you got untill it's taken away from you. The price was reasonable and you could shoot on any range, rifle, shot gun, bow & arrow or pistol. If you somehow got bored with that you could fish in their private lake.
All that's left in the north side of my area (Frisco) is the indoor range in Plano, The Bullet Trap. Shoulder to shoulder with a little partition between shooters. Just punching holes in paper over & over again. For that you get to pay $18.50 for a pistol lane. :evil:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

burrito

Re: Two Outdoor Ranges down.....

Post by burrito »

jbenat wrote:The only two outdoor ranges on Hwy 380 are now gone. The Back Woods Traps, bought out by the developers of Savana Subdivision several months ago and now the Collin County Gun Range has been forced out by the airport expansion (I hear) so they could buy the land cheaper with a defunct business on it.
We used to be able to drive about 5 or 10 minutes to the Back Woods Traps, and back our car up to the shooting line bench. You don't know what you got untill it's taken away from you. The price was reasonable and you could shoot on any range, rifle, shot gun, bow & arrow or pistol. If you somehow got bored with that you could fish in their private lake.
All that's left in the north side of my area (Frisco) is the indoor range in Plano, The Bullet Trap. Shoulder to shoulder with a little partition between shooters. Just punching holes in paper over & over again. For that you get to pay $18.50 for a pistol lane. :evil:
I hear you man. I live in Frisco as well. Range fees for the closest ranges are priced ridiculous. Facilities aren't that great either.

Jfreeman

Post by Jfreeman »

jbenat wrote:The only two outdoor ranges on Hwy 380 are now gone. The Back Woods Traps, bought out by the developers of Savana Subdivision several months ago and now the Collin County Gun Range has been forced out by the airport expansion (I hear) so they could buy the land cheaper with a defunct business on it.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I am in Plano and I really wish I had some land in N. Collin county to build my own range on!

super8neon

Post by super8neon »

I stopped at the Mckinney Range this passed Monday evening on the way home from work... it was picked over.

All they had left were some used pistols and 40% off of ammunition.

I wish I would have had the dough to get a damn fine deal on a Glock 21.

That range is nowhere near the Mckinney Airport.
Sounds to me like it was all politics.

Jfreeman

Post by Jfreeman »

The north end of the airport sits a little ways behind some trees back there! It is not exactly right at the airport but close enough they might want that land for something I guess

jbenat

Post by jbenat »

Jfreeman wrote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. I am in Plano and I really wish I had some land in N. Collin county to build my own range on!
If we weren't planning to move to east Texas in the near future I would offer to go in with you on some land . Save a lot in range fees and probably be a good investment too. I bet the owners of The Backwoods Traps made a killing selling out to developers.
I guess we shouldn't complain about The bullet Trap because the next thing we know, the anti-sheeple will figure a way to close it down. Then we'll have to gas up and take our lunch to get in a little shooting from the Plano/Frisco area! :evil:
There is a nice outdoor range in Longview which will probably be somewhat close to where we will be moving. I'm planning on checking it out next time we are there.
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

Witness P

apg range?

Post by Witness P »

whats is Apg's physical location

txaggie

Post by txaggie »

The range is located just south of highway 380 about 10 miles east of Greenville. Here is a website:

http://www.apgtraining.com/
We're all gamers, it's just degrees of application...

killerquad

Post by killerquad »

So does everyone around here pretty much shoot at Bullet trap? It sucks to have to drive to Plano to shoot if there was a closer range I would shoot a lot more. What part of Frisco are you guys from (those that are from Frisco)?
"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

Return to “Shooting Ranges”