Dallas Pistol Club

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
age_ranger
Posts in topic: 8

Dallas Pistol Club

Post by age_ranger »

Anyone here a member there? I stopped in today and the prices are a bit steep. Just wondering if it's worth the dough.........I know they've got competitions there adn I was wanting to get into some type of pistol shooting sport. Any and all replies are appreciated.

The annual fees add up like this:

NRA Membership (required) $25
initiation fee $175
Annual dues joining march 01-August 31 $150
joining Sept 01-Nov 30 $75
joining Dec 01-Feb 28 $38

So, my initial membership is $238-$350 depending on what month I join and then I'm not sure exactly what renewal is each year. Seems odd that the fee for annula dues would change according to what month you join, doesn't it?

I can get a membership at an indoor range for $100/yr. Are the competitions open to everyone or do you have to be a member?

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dallas Pistol Club

Post by seamusTX »

age_ranger wrote:Seems odd that the fee for annula dues would change according to what month you join, doesn't it?
I think what they mean is that all renewing members pay $150 a year on March 1. If you join after Sept. 1, you pay for half a year. If you join after Dec. 1, you pay for a quarter of a year.

$150 a year is not bad, depending upon the hours that they're open and the facilities available.

- Jim

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Dallas Pistol Club

Post by KBCraig »

age_ranger wrote:Seems odd that the fee for annula dues would change according to what month you join, doesn't it?
Texarkana Gun Club does the same... dues run September 1 - August 31, and are prorated depending on what month you join.

But yeah, that's a little steep sounding. Our dues are $75 a year, for a 200 yard rifle range with five ambidextrous benches under a shed, multiple handgun bays with USPSA and CAS setups, a picnic shelter, bathrooms, etc.

Kevin

KRM45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KRM45 »

I'm a member there. $150 is the annual dues. The other costs are for the prorated first year. The $175 is just a one time cost.

You do not need to be a member to shoot a match there, but there is a discount if you are a member. I suggest you go to a match and check out the facility.

Here is the web site for more information:

http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/

Just as a point of comparison, I would shoot at Elm Fork before I joind and it cost $15 a trip. I figure as long as I shoot more than 10 times a year, I'm better off.

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

Thanks for the inputs. I was wondering what those prices were for.....pro-rated membership. Good to see they took that into account. I'd like to get out there and see one, do one, shoot one.....match. Anyone go there for the competitions?

tomc

Dallas Pistol Club

Post by tomc »

There is a Personal Protection match scheduled for next saturday, Sept 9 starting at 10:30 - 11:00 am. I set up and run the match. You are most welcome to come out and shoot with us. You don't have to be a shooting pro to shoot with us and we try to set up our matches so the shooters can learn something practical from the matches. When I have a break, I can go over details and benefits of joining the club.

Come out next saturday or any other match day and someone will be more than happy to talk to you about the club.

Tom
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

Thanks for the invite, Tom. I'm going to try to make it out. What should I bring?
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

Anyone know what to bring to something like this? I'll be heading out to check out the event. I suppose pistol/holster/ammo?? All I have are IWB's.......

Guess I'll find out when I get there.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

Eye protection, ear protection, and enough ammo and magazines.

The few times I've participated I brought about 200 rounds. I have brought a spare gun too, but I've never needed it.

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

Thanks......looking forward to it... :smile:

What about a cover garment? Would we be drawing from concealment or should I not worry about it for now?

bah....I'll just show up and learn. :lol:

extremist

Fun day at DPC

Post by extremist »

Went to the DPC PPM (Personal Protection Match) and had a good time. Honed my skills and I think I held my own against the Glocksters. :roll:

Took my P7M8 which limited me to 9 rounds (with the exception of a revolver shooter in my group (Steve), everyone else started with at least 15 rounds).

All stages were 6-8 targets, with a MINIMUM round count for perfect score being 6 to 9. The mozambique run was the only run that required 9 rounds for a perfect score.

While most of the doublestackers could afford to double-tap each target, Steve and I had to concentrate on shot placement. I did reload on the one stage with 8 targets, with a couple of them at 25yds. I reloaded and put some more rounds on target to assure that I "killed" it. :smile:

Other than that, I did pretty well with my single stack 9mm.

Looking forward to the Real World Pistol match the fourth Saturday. For that, I'll go with my Walther P99 since it is apparently geared to multiple targets and that will give me 17 rounds to start with.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I went as an observer today. Really enjoyed the sights and sounds. I'm hoping to make it to the steel match tomorrow......we'll see. If not, i'll be at the one next week. Thanks to Tom for the invite and hospitality.....

Are there IDPA/IPSC type matches there? How often and is it hard to get into?

tomc

Post by tomc »

age_ranger wrote:Are there IDPA/IPSC type matches there? How often and is it hard to get into?
A-R, thanks for coming out and looking thing over with us. I hope I was able to help answer some of your questions. Sorry I was not able to respond to your later posts asking what to bring before the match. Generally, the paper matches take around 100 to 150 rounds max for the blast-away'ers and about 50 to 100 rounds for those that aim. The steel matches take about 200-250 rounds (125 absolute minimum with no misses).

The club used to have IPSC and IDPA matches, but they wanted to control everything at the matches, wanted a cut of the money, and were not willing to assume any liability for any issues, in my opinion. Our paper matches use good points from all shooting disciplines and are geared towards peronal protection/CHL carry.

Extremist, good to see you again also.

Tom
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I'm looking forward to going out next Sunday for the steel match. I've got a couple friends interested too. I'm sure they'll want to come along and ring the steel. Looking forward to meeting up with you again. See you then!!

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

Steel plate match this Sunday...........WOOT!!!

Return to “Shooting Ranges”