Teach me about Range Etiquette

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MommaBear
Posts in topic: 2

Teach me about Range Etiquette

Post by MommaBear »

Howdy! I am new to shooting and have a Ruger LCP that I'm getting comfortable with so that I can take the CHL class. I've never been to an actual range before. We live "in town" but have 100 acres of family land about 45 min away where we normally shoot and my husband and boys hunt. There is an indoor range much closer that I would like to go to, but I'm nervous about the basic etiquette. They have all of their rules posted online, and that's helpful, but I don't want to make a fool out of myself or get myself kicked out either.

Can anybody give me some basics of what to do/not to do?

I should add that I'd like to take my boys some too, and any special tips for going kids? They're 4 & 9. The little one LOVES to shoot.

Thanks!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Teach me about Range Etiquette

Post by puma guy »

If you inform the range of your "first time" I'll bet they'll be more than accommodating. I would explain your shooting experience so they understand you are not a novice shooter. It's not really that hard, though. They assign you a lane and target hanger if there's not one permanently installed, Attach your target and reel it to your preferred range. Obey all firearm safety rules and you'll be fine. You could probably get a forum member to go with you if you're so inclined. There may be some reservations by the range regarding the 4 year old, though. Good Luck!, though
Last edited by puma guy on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Which city do you call home? If you live in/near west Houston, my wife and I would be happy to join you for your first excursion to the range.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

Definitely make a trip without your boys to familiarize yourself with the rules of the range of your choice. One range I visited recently won't let minors shoot even when accompanied by their parents.
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
Benjamin Franklin

Post by 77346 »

Definitively go to the range and talk to one of the officers about the rules... the indoor range where I shoot allows only two people in the shooting area per lane... and only one on the shooting line. So when I go with my daughters, one has to stay in the waiting area while the other one is inside the shooting area with me...

My kids are 16 and 15, so the store has no problem with them been on their own while they wait for their turn. Perhaps your husband can go with you and your kids and make it a family event?
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

It would be helpful to know where you live, since many would be willing to help you in person.

However,
1. Never put your finger in the trigger guard until ready to shoot. Get in the habit of placing your trigger finger alongside your LCP, or any handgun. Besides it being extemely dangerous, it will immediately identify you as a novice.
2. Unload before entering the range and do not load until you are on the firing line.
3. Be aware of where your muzzle is pointing at all times. If observed 'sweeping' another person with your muzzle, you will probably be asked to leave.

These are just some of the common mistakes.

You must observe and obey any commands given by a range officer. Even handling (picking up) your gun during a 'cease fire' may get you ejected.

Any range will require eye and hearing protection. Almost all allow prescription eyewear if you wear glasses. Hearing protection can be plugs or muffs. You can inquire whether these available or just buy your own.

Good luck,
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
MommaBear
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MommaBear »

Thanks for your input everyone! I'm probably making way too much of this. The range is attached to the store where I bought my gun, and my husband has bought several from there too, and they've always been very nice. I just want to avoid embarassing myself.

Piney

Post by Piney »

One comment I make to newbie friends who I take shooting at a range is about gun handling-- don't handle your firearm off the line !!

I frequently have seen folks unbag (Is this a word ? LOL) or unholster back behind the line and walk around.

Otherwise, if you've got handling skills in mind while you're shooting,--you'll be fine on a range.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”