Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ranges on private property

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

cb1000rider wrote:
jiannichan wrote:Sounds pretty fun to just be able to go into your backyard and just start shooting. Is this land that your house occupies that you're shooting on? What city/county?
I don't have enough land that we can walk out back and just start shooting. There has to be a little more planning than that, even with a .410 shotgun. And we brought in heavy equipment to make sure that bullets couldn't escape the target area.
Travis county. Unincorporated = Not in the City Limits.

The nearest city has firearms restrictions.

Wo wo Berkeley of the East, that Travis County? You are a brave man. I'm surprised Janet Reno hasn't personally arrived with a SWAT team and a treehugger box of recycleable "green" shopping bags.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

cb1000rider wrote:
jiannichan wrote:Sounds pretty fun to just be able to go into your backyard and just start shooting. Is this land that your house occupies that you're shooting on? What city/county?
I don't have enough land that we can walk out back and just start shooting. There has to be a little more planning than that, even with a .410 shotgun. And we brought in heavy equipment to make sure that bullets couldn't escape the target area.
Travis county. Unincorporated = Not in the City Limits.

The nearest city has firearms restrictions.
You had better check if you are in the extra territorial jurisdiction of any nearby town/city. You may have problems you don't know about yet. :nono:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

I thought that comment was just via PM.
I'm aware of the jurisdictional borders. We aren't in danger of being annexed any time soon. You're right, it's a good thing to look out for though - less someone be caught unaware...

TrackinPat

Post by TrackinPat »

This is an interesting thread, I didn't realize how much political bullying went on with private citizens by a fire marshal... :grumble

tubular031

Post by tubular031 »

I suggest you do like I did. I have some property in grayson county. Many days we hear gun shots off in the distance in all directions it seems. I called up the county and asked what the rules were. They only had rules about public shooting ranges and for private use I should call the sheriff. So I called them up and they told me if I am outside city limits (I am...) I can just about do anything I want. He said make sure the bullets stay on my property and don't do anything stupid! I wanted to be a smart A and ask what does stupid mean?!? But I thought better of that!

I think the real decision maker is going to be are you within city limits or not. If you are outside city limits the rules are much more relaxed. BUT make sure you check before you start shooting!! Many times you can get slapped with misdemeanors or felonies for unlawful discharge of a firearm bla bla bla...

Return to “Shooting Ranges”