DFW area - wheelchair accessible handgun range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dierdorf_237
Posts in topic: 4

Re: DFW area - wheelchair accessible handgun range?

Post by dierdorf_237 »

Dave2 wrote:
dierdorf_237 wrote:Hi everyone, first time poster here and relatively new handgun owner. My girlfriend is in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury. Does anyone know of any wheelchair accessible handgun ranges in the area? My primary concern is that the height of the counters (at the range I usually go to) is too tall to shoot from a seated position.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Can you post a range review as it relates to wheelchair accessibility, please, if you two end up going somewhere?
I will absolutely do that. It might be a while though, she lives a couple hours away and only makes it to my place once a month or so (I usually go see her). But one of these days we'll get the timing right and try out one of these ranges.

Topic author
dierdorf_237
Posts in topic: 4

Re: DFW area - wheelchair accessible handgun range?

Post by dierdorf_237 »

Well, today I took her to Shoot Smart in Grand Prairie. I decided to try this place because it is about 15 minutes away from my house, and is a new facility and hence must be ADA compliant. We shared one of their standard lanes (not one of the private lanes). Their facility was very accessible, we had absolutely no problems. The benches are low enough to comfortably shoot from a seated position. The waiting area and restrooms were both easily accessible for wheelchair users. The staff was friendly and helpful.

The only thing that could be a problem is the number of handicap parking spots, we only saw one. Fortunately it was available when we got there, but I can see this being a problem on busy days.

If I had to give them a grade based on our experience I would give them an A-, everything was excellent I just would like to see more handicap accessible parking.

Overall, my girlfriend had a great time. It was her first time shooting and she performed reasonably well, but most importantly she did a great job being safe and alert.
Attachments
photo (3).jpg
photo (1).JPG

Return to “Shooting Ranges”