Quail Creek Range

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
KobraKarry1911
Posts in topic: 2

Quail Creek Range

Post by KobraKarry1911 »

Wow, I read some of the posts on this forum from 2008 about Quail Creek. I thought it must be the worst range ever. I have recently been to their range and it was nothing like what was posted in your forums from 2008. I took my family and we all had a great time. Plenty of lanes and a friendly staff. I did not encounter any problems from range officers or anyone else . Yes they have rules that are easy to follow and are in place for the safety of all. I will be going back , most of all because my wife and kids had fun.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Quail Creek Range

Post by RoyGBiv »

Interesting first post.

Welcome to the forum.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Welcome to the forum! And yes, Quail Creek has improved tremendously since 2008.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
KobraKarry1911
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KobraKarry1911 »

Thanks for the welcome...I like the info that is here. Very helpful.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Crossfire wrote:Welcome to the forum! And yes, Quail Creek has improved tremendously since 2008.
A couple of friends of mine who shoot there tell me the same thing. Perhaps so. But I have to say: IF I ever go there again, and the same RSOs work there as in 2008, I will take it as proof that they haven't really changed much - because their problem wasn't the facility, or the old guy in the office or any of that. It was 100% two RSOs they had who should have never been offered the job in the first place. IF I wanted abuse like that, I'd go hang out in the DMV is downtown Los Angeles. Those two guys are an absolute deal breaker for me. IF they are still there, I won't even get out of my car.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

I've been to quail creek several times in the last couple of years. I didn't have any problems with the RSOs. They seemed very professional to me.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

GrislyAddams

Post by GrislyAddams »

Howdy,
This is my first post here.
Just wanted to throw an update on this range.

Went there today with my Dad and Brother in law.
My Dad is a new shooter my BIL is not.

My usual range (Magnum in Sanger) was closed so I held my nose and went to Quail Creek to shoot our Christmas presents.

I say held my nose because in the past I have had bad experiences with the range officers.
In my opinion the time for politely pointing out the rules is when you pay.

In the past the way was to yell at you in your face while you have muffs on and are trying to handle a firearm.

Today was different, mostly. There's one bad egg. But the whole rest of the experience kind of cancelled him out.

They have a check in area just across the bridge where they check your ammo and mags to prevent the experience of being surprised from behind by someone screaming at you.

They have the rules posted in so many places it borders on parody.

Also, there is one range officer, a lady, who is the epitome of professionalism.
I did something against their protocol and she waited for me to get done shooting to politely tell me what I had done wrong. Much appreciated and won't be repeated.

I still prefer the freedom of Magnum but if they're closed I'll go back here without too much complaint.

They sell guns and ammo now at prices that are competitive with Academy.

I'm thinking that the word got to them that they need to chill a little.

Sometimes you need to speak fast and loud to maintain safety but there's no need for an angry tone.

Just wanted to throw these thoughts out there because if we don't train we're no good with our tools.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

GrislyAddams wrote:Howdy,
This is my first post here.
Just wanted to throw an update on this range.
Thanks for the update and welcome to the forum Grisly.

It's been several years since I've been to this range. And just in this thread it's been a couple years and it could have had another complete turnover in RO's. I think, IIRC, the biggest change for this range was a change in ownership several years ago that lead to the positive changes reported in 2014.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Shooting Ranges”