I got shot in the head today

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I got shot in the head today

Post by Skiprr »

RossA wrote:I have never understood shooting steel plates, except maybe if they are a couple of hundred yards downrange. I ain't no scientist, but ricochets seem inevitable.
The steel and their suspension systems need to be properly designed and built. For some courses of fire, steel is a necessity. Paper targets don't move when they're hit. An example is the Farnam advanced course. Can't pass it unless you can accurately and quickly react to moving steel.

And, yes, I've had three instances of "shrapnel" cuts, all to my arms. Eyes and Ears folks, always.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

RossA wrote:I have never understood shooting steel plates, except maybe if they are a couple of hundred yards downrange. I ain't no scientist, but ricochets seem inevitable.
Shoot at them all the time, from well within 100 yards. If they're set up right it shouldn't be a problem. For one thing, they shouldn't have rigid mounts.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

I've had fragments of my own rounds come straight back and say hello. Rather surprised me since I was firing cast lead .44 spcl through paper (at 7 yards) down a 25yd pistol range that had steel baffles as the backstop. It was a good day to be wearing long sleeves and jeans (in addition to the normal eyes/ears). I'm guessing that the rounds were impacting the edge of a baffle just right to be deflected back instead of into the backstop system.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

It is satisfying to get instant feedback when you hit the target.
NRA Endowment Member

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RossA »

I can understand the feedback and reactive targets, but not at the expense of being shot by my own rounds. Maybe I'm a safety geek. Is that a bad thing around guns?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Glad that you're ok!
I've had few close calls but thankfully never a direct hit, yet :???:

Hickock45 blasts away at steel targets relatively close. I wonder what his secret is. :headscratch

Again, good to hear you're fine.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

parabelum wrote:Glad that you're ok!

Hickock45 blasts away at steel targets relatively close. I wonder what his secret is. :headscratch

His secret is that he is shooting downhill, so his bullets are striking the steel at a considerable downward angle.......which means that bullet splatter and ricochets are directed directly down into the dirt. And the more distant targets which go up a hill are far enough away that it's a non-issue.
hickok45.jpg
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Steel matches are super fun. There is a minimum distance to set them up AND, steel plates are tilted down so any ricochet is directed downward toward the ground and not the shooter or anyone else at the firing line.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
parabelum wrote:Glad that you're ok!

His secret is that he is shooting downhill, so his bullets are striking the steel at a considerable downward angle.......which means that bullet splatter and ricochets are directed directly down into the dirt. And the more distant targets which go up a hill are far enough away that it's a non-issue.
hickok45.jpg

Now I feel silly, didn't think about that at all. That makes absolute sense.
I was thinking about putting together a steel target setup at my place, but I was always little iffy on it. Now I know exactly a place to set it up.

Thanks! :bigear:

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Personally, I don't hang around steel targets. I caught most of a .45 round with my face a long time ago from a 25 yard knock-down plate (or maybe the supporting structure). It numbed my entire face with the impact. I thought I'd been seriously injured until I examined the impact site in a truck mirror.

Even if you angle the plates, the edges of the plates still present an opportunity for chaotically unpredictable splash back.

Shooting steel is all kinds of fun. I understand. Just my thoughts on safety.

Oh, and the round in the face? Just superficial cuts. I'm still the handsome devil my wife married.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”