Poll: LR Shooting on Saturday February 27, 2016 at TopGunTexas

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Are you attending LR Shooting at TopGun Range on Saturday February 27, 2016?

1) Yes, see me there
31%
2) Maybe, but I will confirm by next week
13%
3) I am sorry, I have other plans
56%

Total votes: 16

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Poll: LR Shooting on Saturday February 27, 2016 at TopGunTexas

Post by Beiruty »

Bump as a Reminder.
So far we have:

1) Beiruty
2) Bitter Clinger
3) Solaris
4) Geek with a gun. (Is that me? :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: )
5) C-dub

Oh we can shoot from prone position or concert benches.
So far the our group is looking promising. I assure you, you would love it. Maybe I should bring out my AR or my SIG556. (or it would be another day for Semi-autos :hurry:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Beiruty wrote:Bump as a Reminder.
So far we have:

1) Beiruty
2) Bitter Clinger
3) Solaris
5) C-dub

So far the our group is looking promising. I assure you, you would love it. Maybe I should bring out my AR or my SIG556. (or it would be another day for Semi-autos :hurry:
I plan to bring a .308 bolt gun and an AR-15, both scoped. I may be joined by a buddy who just bought an Armalite AR-30 in .338 Lapua. :coolgleamA:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

C-dub
Posts in topic: 10

Post by C-dub »

Still looking forward to this. Both of mine are semi-auto. The Garand and that AR-10 I bought from TAM last year. AR-10 is scoped and the Garand will be iron sights only.

They open up at 0900 on Saturday. Is that what time we should plan on meeting there? I might be working Friday night until 2300 and might be a little slow getting out of the house Saturday morning.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Bump as a Reminder.
So far we have:

1) Beiruty
2) Bitter Clinger
3) Solaris
5) C-dub

I plan to bring a .308 bolt gun and an AR-15, both scoped. I may be joined by a buddy who just bought an Armalite AR-30 in .338 Lapua. :coolgleamA:
Cool, I am getting my 300WM as well.
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

We can start at 10:00AM this way we can give enough time for everyone to get there.

For all,
Directions are easy. If you have a smartphone Google Maps would get you there better than your lovely co-pilot. If you need printed direction, please just ask.
Beiruty,

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Beiruty wrote:We can start at 10:00AM this way we can give enough time for everyone to get there.

For all,
Directions are easy. If you have a smartphone Google Maps would get you there better than your lovely co-pilot. If you need printed direction, please just ask.
Already programmed in the phone. See ya'll there!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I was in, now I'm out - sorry can't make it if it is still on.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

As of 2/23/2016 we have:

1) Beiruty
2) Bitter Clinger
3) Solaris
4) C-dub
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Beiruty,

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Another awesome day on a great range - out to 500 yards, thanks to Beiruty! Nice to meet you C-dub!

Not sure what happened to Solaris, hope we didn't miss you somehow?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Lots of fun today. Top Gun is a very nice range and the SO today was a really great guy.

Giant thanks to Beiruty for initiating this and his help today. And we got to meet another forum member, Bitter Clinger. Also a great guy!

I was able to maintain less than 1 moa out to 300 yards, but expanded to about 1.5 moa or less at 400 and 500 yards. I'm sure that was all me since this was my first time shooting beyond 200 yards. I don't think I was getting my holdovers quite right, but still did okay. I was not able to hit the little hanging steel targets. There were a few 4"x4" and a couple 3"x3". Maybe next time.

Beiruty was able to hit s 4"x4" several times. That was cool.

I know Bitter Clinger was doing well at 200-300 yards, but I ended up at a bench a few spots down from him and Beiruty and am not sure how he did after that.

No FMJ allowed at this range, therefore I could not shoot my Garand. I'll what I can find for the Enfield and or K31 for the next trip and maybe try one of those with iron sights.

Oh yeah, I will be going back.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

BC posted while I was typing. Cool, I didn't remember you getting out to 500. Good day for all three of us.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Weather was fantastic.
Wind picked up afternoon.

Bitter Clinger, C-dub, and I we all had great time. Not sure where was Solaris. We hope he had a great day too (on the range or elsewhere).

Recently, I reset my cell phone to factory setting, so I lost all my Ballistics settings. I had to quickly re-program my Exterior Ballistic Calculator V2 on the fly. And, correcting for MV from shots' drops.

I checked my Steyr SS04 300WM zero and it was 1 MOA low. So, 1-MOA up is my today's Zero. I set my MV at 2750fps for 208gr A-max and the fun started rolling on. I was able to hit the 4" diamond 3 out 4 in a row. Thanks for C-dub for spotting for me. You rocks, C-dub.

As for my Tikka T3 30-06, with it Bushnell Elite 6500 2ndFP DOA 600 reticule, I had to up the MV to 2950fps with 168gr A-max to get it dialed in. Then, Bang Bang and with the help from member on the range and Bitter Clinger, I was also able to hit the 4" diamond at least couple times.

Bitter Clinger did great with his AR-15 with light bullet 55gr Hornady Superperformance Match (Hot Hot load as per BC)
BC was able to pepper 400yrds and 500yrds steel targets. Never mind the Chinese low cost low observability optics. Surprisingly, he had 2 same-model scope, one was acceptable, and the other is defective :evil2: :evil2:

C-dub with his AR-10 was able to keep 1 M0A groups at 300 yards. That sweet from a Semi-auto rifle. :clapping: :clapping:

All of us, got owner's qualification certificate to shoot at 500 yrds :hurry: :hurry: :hurry:

For all, here is the shared Album of the photos shared at Photos.google.com

You can download the photos at will

https://goo.gl/photos/WeUucYrZRZBRY5pW6
Beiruty,

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Another awesome day on a great range - out to 500 yards, thanks to Beiruty! Nice to meet you C-dub!

I got there before most I think and was ready to go. Then saw the No FMJ sign. Crap. I had handloaded Sierra GameKings which are a FMJ round. Could not get home and back in any reasonable time. Glad you all had a good time. Place was packed with Cowboy shooters!

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Solaris wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Another awesome day on a great range - out to 500 yards, thanks to Beiruty! Nice to meet you C-dub!

I got there before most I think and was ready to go. Then saw the No FMJ sign. Crap. I had handloaded Sierra GameKings which are a FMJ round. Could not get home and back in any reasonable time. Glad you all had a good time. Place was packed with Cowboy shooters!
Always, there is another range meet. The FMJ thing is new for that range as far I know. Not sure if someone made an oops and they had to ban FMJ. :woohoo
Beiruty,

Return to “Shooting Ranges”