Range with no restrictions on ammo

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Range with no restrictions on ammo

Post by baldeagle »

I went to B-Tactical today with a friend and shot my AR. The only ammo they don't allow is tracers. Ball is fine as is JHP and anything else. The cost is $17 a day for unlimited use of the 50 and 100 yard ranges. No range officers, so you have to agree to a cease fire with the rest of the shooters, which turned out not to be much of a problem. B-Tactical is on I-30 east of Dallas past Royse City. From the west you take exit 85 and drive two miles east to the range. From the east you take exit 87, turn left, then right on the access road (it's two way) and go about 100 yards to the entrance.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

rentz
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Range with no restrictions on ammo

Post by rentz »

Sounds promising, I've Stopped trying to take rifles to the indoor ranges since they won't allow surplus or steel cased ammo

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. That's why I mentioned this range. I took soft points, but I was able to shoot my ball ammo as well. The range is rather spartan. Wood shooting benches, and you walk out to staple your targets, but the price is far and being able to shoot ball ammo is a definite plus. The range is owned by a disabled Green Beret whose the second generation of three Green Berets. They give a $3 discount to military, LEO and veterans. They also have a small pistol range, but we didn't shoot that.

You park right behind your shooting bench, which is nice.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

You can shoot FMJ on the tactical range at Elm Fork. Advantage is that you do not have to sit (can stand, lean, etc) but its a relatively short range as I recall. Have not been there in some time, but it may only be 25 or 50 yds max.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Bitter Clinger wrote:You can shoot FMJ on the tactical range at Elm Fork. Advantage is that you do not have to sit (can stand, lean, etc) but its a relatively short range as I recall. Have not been there in some time, but it may only be 25 or 50 yds max.
Unless things have changed recently, I know that every time I've went to Elm Fork I've shot FMJ steel case on their 50 yard range.
Disclaimer: I have not been to Elm Fork though in over a year.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

AndyC wrote:You're right, they allow it on their 50 yd bay as well, just not on the 100 yd.
However, they restrict you to seated benchrest only. :rules:
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

What is the deal with prohibiting FMJ? Can't be because penetration the range allows .338 lapua so what is the reasoning?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It would be fun to do a range day down at ETTS. As my guests, your range fees would be $20/each for all day. The only problem is that they no longer allow steel-core bullets. Idiots kept poking holes in their steel plates with penetrator and AP rounds, so they had to ban them. FMJ is otherwise just fine. The facilities include:
  • ETTS covers over 220 acres of beautiful Ellis County countryside.
  • The ONLY 1200-yd RIFLE range in the DFW metroplex. (You have to qualify at 1 MOA or less on the 200 yard range before you can shoot the 1200 yard range. After that they will qualify you out to the distance at which you can demonstrate hitting, in 100 yard increments, starting at 300.)
  • 100-200-yd Sighting bays
  • 14 Pistol bays
  • 4 Tactical bays
You can shoot from bench or prone on the rifle ranges, and pretty much any way you want on the pistol and tactical bays.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Oookay, shooting into a dirt berm, guess insurance co. have a vivid imagination
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:It would be fun to do a range day down at ETTS. As my guests, your range fees would be $20/each for all day. The only problem is that they no longer allow steel-core bullets. Idiots kept poking holes in their steel plates with penetrator and AP rounds, so they had to ban them. FMJ is otherwise just fine. The facilities include:
  • ETTS covers over 220 acres of beautiful Ellis County countryside.
  • The ONLY 1200-yd RIFLE range in the DFW metroplex. (You have to qualify at 1 MOA or less on the 200 yard range before you can shoot the 1200 yard range. After that they will qualify you out to the distance at which you can demonstrate hitting, in 100 yard increments, starting at 300.)
  • 100-200-yd Sighting bays
  • 14 Pistol bays
  • 4 Tactical bays
You can shoot from bench or prone on the rifle ranges, and pretty much any way you want on the pistol and tactical bays.
I am down for a day at ETTS.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I am down for a day at ETTS.

:iagree: