Boyert Shooting Center

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 6

Boyert Shooting Center

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This range seems like a decent deal for a membership.

Gold membership is $40 initiation + $80 a month and gets you 2 free FFL transfers per month , free range fees + some other benefits. Silver is $60 per month but does not include the free FFL transfers and a few other things.

They are on my way home from work and allow draw from holster (after qualification), no restrictions on JHP or magnum ammo, allow use of home defense shotguns (ammo restrictions on that), plus you can retrieve brass from your own lane. They also have a simulator which seems cool, but costs extra.

I am thinking about joining. Has anyone had any experience with these guys?

GlockShooter56
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Boyert Shooting Center

Post by GlockShooter56 »

I am a member at Boyert, and I cannot speak highly enough of their staff. I am more impressed with this range every time I go. They are always very helpful (but never pushy), and the facilities are top-notch. If you shoot more than a couple of times a month, the membership has proved more than worth the money to me... Especially when it's packed on the weekend and I get to skip to the front of the line :fire
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

GlockShooter56

Post by GlockShooter56 »

GlockShooter56 wrote:I am a member at Boyert, and I cannot speak highly enough of their staff. I am more impressed with this range every time I go. They are always very helpful (but never pushy), and the facilities are top-notch. If you shoot more than a couple of times a month, the membership has proved more than worth the money to me... Especially when it's packed on the weekend and I get to skip to the front of the line :fire
Just FYI.... I started with the $80 membership, but downgraded to the $60 (Silver) membership. Wasn't utilizing the transfers, so it wasn't really worth the extra $$.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

GlockShooter56 wrote:
GlockShooter56 wrote:I am a member at Boyert, and I cannot speak highly enough of their staff. I am more impressed with this range every time I go. They are always very helpful (but never pushy), and the facilities are top-notch. If you shoot more than a couple of times a month, the membership has proved more than worth the money to me... Especially when it's packed on the weekend and I get to skip to the front of the line :fire
Just FYI.... I started with the $80 membership, but downgraded to the $60 (Silver) membership. Wasn't utilizing the transfers, so it wasn't really worth the extra $$.
Thanks. I was curious about that and may do the same myself.

I have an immediate need for an FFL on a transaction from Buds where their "preferred" FFL is out of town during weekdays for a couple months. Gun is sitting at Buds now and I need to get them new FFL info. I also have plans to buy a number of additional guns in the near future so will be able to use the FFL's for at least 3-4 more months, but might downgrade after that.

What location are you a member at?

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:This range seems like a decent deal for a membership.

Gold membership is $40 initiation + $80 a month and gets you 2 free FFL transfers per month , free range fees + some other benefits. Silver is $60 per month but does not include the free FFL transfers and a few other things.

They are on my way home from work and allow draw from holster (after qualification), no restrictions on JHP or magnum ammo, allow use of home defense shotguns (ammo restrictions on that), plus you can retrieve brass from your own lane. They also have a simulator which seems cool, but costs extra.

I am thinking about joining. Has anyone had any experience with these guys?
I am not a member, but I have had nothing but positive experiences there. Each time I go, I'm overwhelmed with the service and professionalism of the staff.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=76283
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=76283#p962991
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=76917
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

GlockShooter56

Post by GlockShooter56 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
GlockShooter56 wrote:
Thanks. I was curious about that and may do the same myself.

I have an immediate need for an FFL on a transaction from Buds where their "preferred" FFL is out of town during weekdays for a couple months. Gun is sitting at Buds now and I need to get them new FFL info. I also have plans to buy a number of additional guns in the near future so will be able to use the FFL's for at least 3-4 more months, but might downgrade after that.

What location are you a member at?
I work in the Galleria, so I go to the Westheimer location.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I went ahead and joined. Went with the Gold membership since I have some near term FFL transfer needs. They confirmed that I can change whenever I want. This is the first time I have been a member at a gun range. A couple initial observations.

I have shot here twice. Very quick and easy process. They swipe your membership card and ask if you need ear protection (free), eye protection (they will sell you a cheap pair of shooting glasses for $1.49), or extra targets (first target free, extras are $1.96 each). Girls at the check-in desk are friendly and also knowledgeable if you have any questions. You then go to the range officer desk. He assigns you a lane. There is no place past the initial range door to suit up, so you need to put your eyes and ears on in the lobby. There are a couple chairs there, but it would be nice to have a designated area of some sort.

Range is modern. Controls are a bit involved. Mount your target, set the distance (in yards), push enter, then push F1. I have no idea what the F2, F3, and F4 keys are for. I'm sure they serve a purpose, but they also clutter up the keypad. There is a small LED screen that shows your remaining time, among other info. Since I have a membership with free range fees, the timer is a bit confusing. Not sure what would happen if I went over time, other than to maybe go out and have to start a new, free, range session. Not that I am at risk of going over time.

Like most ranges, there is no place to clean or lubricate your weapons after shooting. This would be a nice addition if they could find the room. I just use my trunk instead. I try to minimize the use of my kitchen table since that tends to irritate SWMBO.

I have done one FFL transfer. It was free with the membership, but painful. Weapon arrived (per UPS tracking) on Tuesday at 2:30 PM. No call from Boyert on Tuesday. OK, maybe they need some time to get everything logged. Wednesday, still no call by noon. I decide to take a late lunch and drive over there around 1 PM. I am directed to the retail manager and it takes him 15 minutes to even verify that they have my gun. Then he tells me that it will take a while to "fill out all of the ATF paperwork." I looked around their store for a bit. It ended up taking about 50 minutes total. They tried to charge me a $75 FFL transfer fee despite my having told the guy several times that I am a member. Not all memberships come with free transfers, but still you think he would have asked me before ringing it up, then having to get a manager to override the transaction. Also, $75 for an FFL transfer is a bit of a rip-off when plenty of other places are charging $25 to $35 in the same area, especially when it takes them so long. I would not use them if I had to pay that price. Next time, I will just wait for their call, and may also plan a range session during the wait.

I definitely think that I will be shooting much more often now that I have this membership. Before, I always felt like I needed to "get my money's worth" by using up the full hour. This meant packing up 3 or 4 guns, a bunch of ammo, etc. Now I don't feel bad if I only run through a couple mags on my way home from work. The free target has a big main target and 2 small targets. I run 3-4 mags at the main target to warm up, then one mag at each of the small targets. It's a perfect little de-stresser before heading to the family.

For a year, the total cost is right at $1,000, including up to 24 FFL transfers, or $750 without the transfers. There are some other perks for the higher membership including discounted classes, etc. A downside is that I am tied into one range location. Boyert has another location in Houston, but the memberships are location specific, which kind of sucks. Still, not a bad deal if you shoot at least semi-frequently. Assuming $15 a session, the break even point is 50 sessions a year, or pretty much once a week. That's assuming you don't want the FFL transfers and just go with the basic membership. They do have a discounted basic membership for veterans and LEO's at $30 a month.

They also have simulators, which look interesting, but I have not tried them yet.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Just wanted to stop back by to clear up one thing. This place takes their closing times very seriously. One post in the linked threads above indicated that as long as you were there before closing, they would give you the full hour. Not true, at least at the Katy location.

I stopped in last week 9 minutes before closing, and the guy was very direct in telling me that I only had 9 minutes to be done and out of there. Since I have a membership, and since it usually only takes me about 10 minutes to shoot my allotted 50 rounds, I decided to go ahead and shoot anyway. He didn't seem too pleased. I'm assuming he thought I would just leave given his warning.

Of course when I got on the range, there was a Boyert instructor working with a group of 3 women. Let's just say that when I left the range 10 minutes later they were showing no signs of wrapping up anytime soon.

I don't have an issue with their policy about their closing time, and it's not like they physically yanked me off the range right at 7 PM, but I wanted to post here to save others from a potentially unpleasant surprise if they read the other post about this place staying open to let you finish up your session.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Sorry to keep monopolizing this thread, but I just found out today that Boyert memberships are now good at both locations. Their Katy location is the closest range to my house, and their Westheimer location is the closest range to my work. Let's just say that this news made me very happy

:woohoo

:thewave

:fire :fire :fire :fire :fire

GlockShooter56

Post by GlockShooter56 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Sorry to keep monopolizing this thread, but I just found out today that Boyert memberships are now good at both locations. Their Katy location is the closest range to my house, and their Westheimer location is the closest range to my work. Let's just say that this news made me very happy

:woohoo

:thewave

:fire :fire :fire :fire :fire
I actually had a similar experience with my first FFL transfer at Boyert, but their customer service has been so great in every other area, I just assumed it must have been a fluke. They told me the high price of the transfer (without membership) is because they don't really want to deal with a lot of transfers unless it's for their members. Glad to hear you're enjoying the membership so far!

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Just wanted to stop back by to clear up one thing. This place takes their closing times very seriously. One post in the linked threads above indicated that as long as you were there before closing, they would give you the full hour. Not true, at least at the Katy location.

I stopped in last week 9 minutes before closing, and the guy was very direct in telling me that I only had 9 minutes to be done and out of there. Since I have a membership, and since it usually only takes me about 10 minutes to shoot my allotted 50 rounds, I decided to go ahead and shoot anyway. He didn't seem too pleased. I'm assuming he thought I would just leave given his warning.

Of course when I got on the range, there was a Boyert instructor working with a group of 3 women. Let's just say that when I left the range 10 minutes later they were showing no signs of wrapping up anytime soon.

I don't have an issue with their policy about their closing time, and it's not like they physically yanked me off the range right at 7 PM, but I wanted to post here to save others from a potentially unpleasant surprise if they read the other post about this place staying open to let you finish up your session.
That's a shame that you had this experience. I was the person who posted above about how they stayed open for us - but you're right, this was at the Westheimer location. I'd bet if you reached out to the owner directly, he'd probably address that situation for you.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Vol Texan wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:Just wanted to stop back by to clear up one thing. This place takes their closing times very seriously. One post in the linked threads above indicated that as long as you were there before closing, they would give you the full hour. Not true, at least at the Katy location.

That's a shame that you had this experience. I was the person who posted above about how they stayed open for us - but you're right, this was at the Westheimer location. I'd bet if you reached out to the owner directly, he'd probably address that situation for you.
It wasn't serious enough to need to be "addressed" in my mind. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say he was just having a bad day.

I actually had a nice chat with the owner today, but did not mention the incident with the closing time. I was having lunch near the Westheimer location and stopped by to check out their store. While there I saw the news posted about the memberships, and a guy asked me if I had any questions. I told him that I liked the change and he gave me a high level history of how he had bought the Katy location out of bankruptcy and some of the underlying issues, which are now resolved, that had kept him from synching the memberships. Turns out that he is the owner.

Anyway, he seemed like a very nice guy. This place has its quirks, but so does every other gun range I have been to. Even with the minor annoyances, I am very pleased with my decision to be a member here. I've got two guns being delivered this Thursday. We'll see how that goes.

BTW, another new perk is a 5% discount on gun purchases and 10% discount on ammo. Their gun pricing is pretty competitive. I haven't checked their ammo prices.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”