Range Safety / What is your address

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 2

Range Safety / What is your address

Post by tomneal »

Debbie and I took a Dynamic First Aid class from http://lonestarmedics.com/ a few weeks ago. The class was well worth the time and money we put into it. We are planning to take additional classes at least once per year.

One question that I got (unexpectedly) embarrassed on was:
"What address would you give the 911 operator?"

We were at Hot Wells Shooting range. I've been going to the property since the early 1960's. I know 'the best route' to get there. I didn't have a clue as to the address. No clue on the number. Several guesses for the street name. Unsure about the city name.

I've added the street addresses to my favorite gun ranges, as contacts on my phone.

There is a old joke:
Someone is doing something many folks would consider "odd".
When questioned, he responds with "It keeps the alligators out of my back yard."
The questioner responds with: "There are no alligators in your back yard!"
He responds with: "See. It works."

The wife and I took the Dynamic First Aid class to "Keep the alligators out of the back yard"

I am suggesting you add the range address to your phone to "Keep alligators out of your back yard"
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Range Safety / What is your address

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Excellent point. At the private range I belong to, they verbally drum the address into the new members during mandatory orientation, and the rest of the members during the annual renewal briefing. It's also on a giant metal sign at the entry gate. However, if I were tested on the physical address of all the commercial ranges I use, I would NOT at present get a perfect score. I suspect others share my failing. The middle of a 911 call is not a good time to go looking for an employee to ask what the address is. Put the address in your phone contacts and LOOK at the doorway as you walk in and say to yourself the address, i.e., '45 Springfield Lane, Geneseo' a few times as you walk in.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

I work for a rural county based EMS system. Many residences are on private roads that are not marked with any kind of signage or mail boxes marked making locating calls difficult. When we come across these we inform the landowner/resident to clearly mark their box and contact the county to have a sign made with the private road number. Giving a good address to dispatchers is extremely helpful but being able to identify it from the road is necessary as well. You can always include a description of the entrance gate and send someone to the roadway to direct the responders to the scene. Kudos for you attending a first aid class. The skills taught can save a life. Now, may you never have to find out :patriot:
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

My wife and I try to get a card for/from the range showing the address. We then post that on our range bag (clear window for holding a card is visible). During the safety meeting before live fire exercises, we assign duties so everyone knows what is expected of them beforehand in case of an unintended perforation (and assuming the assigned person is not the one with the perforation(s)). The location of the address card, as well as the trauma kit are mentioned to all participants. Duties to be assigned are 1) Call 911 - at some locations EVERYONE may be assigned this in addition to other duties since cell reception can be sketchy, 2) First Aid / Trauma Care, 3) Get everyone off the line, clear firearms and case them, 4) Run to property entrance from main road to direct responders in, 5) Recorder - start recording events and times for actions being taken as well as approximate time of the emergency event start.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

A trauma Kit should be very close to any range. Also, before you get to be a member of any shooting club, ask about Range Safety, 1-aid certification for the staff and the place of trauma kits, and calling 911 for emergencies, etc....
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

rotor

Post by rotor »

There are smart phone applications such as Rescue me-I need help for iOs that can send text messages or email giving your exact lat-long location. The question is can the EMS-first responders use that to find you. I think they can plug the numbers into google maps and get to you. These applications are usually free.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

tomneal wrote:Debbie and I took a Dynamic First Aid class from http://lonestarmedics.com/ a few weeks ago. The class was well worth the time and money we put into it. We are planning to take additional classes at least once per year.

One question that I got (unexpectedly) embarrassed on was:
"What address would you give the 911 operator?"

We were at Hot Wells Shooting range. I've been going to the property since the early 1960's. I know 'the best route' to get there. I didn't have a clue as to the address. No clue on the number. Several guesses for the street name. Unsure about the city name.

I've added the street addresses to my favorite gun ranges, as contacts on my phone.

There is a old joke:
Someone is doing something many folks would consider "odd".
When questioned, he responds with "It keeps the alligators out of my back yard."
The questioner responds with: "There are no alligators in your back yard!"
He responds with: "See. It works."

The wife and I took the Dynamic First Aid class to "Keep the alligators out of the back yard"

I am suggesting you add the range address to your phone to "Keep alligators out of your back yard"
When we took Caleb's Medic 1 class in early April, one of the suggestions was to get your Nav app up on your phone and get the coordinates for your location and give that to the 911 operator, and they can take it from there.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tomneal »

My (just completed) trauma kit will be on my person at the range and close when on my own.

(SOF Tactical Tourniquet Wide, Israeli Bandage, Russell Chest Seal)

Not a complete kit but I hope enough to keep a buddy (or myself) alive until the ambulance arrives.

I like the idea of keeping a printed address card on my range bag. I may print, laminate, and attach.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

tomneal wrote:My (just completed) trauma kit will be on my person at the range and close when on my own.

(SOF Tactical Tourniquet Wide, Israeli Bandage, Russell Chest Seal)

Not a complete kit but I hope enough to keep a buddy (or myself) alive until the ambulance arrives.

I like the idea of keeping a printed address card on my range bag. I may print, laminate, and attach.
Get a duct tape too. You need a morphine shot too.
Beiruty,

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I wish there was a calendar that listed all the upcoming training (firearms, medical, legal, etc) in our great state. I would have jumped on that class if I had known about it.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I don't even know the street number for the hospital I work in and it took me years to memorize my last employers' street address. I have no idea what the address of many places that I frequent are.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

e911 is here to help. Most if not all Cellphones support e911.
Read here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/ ... ance-faqs/

911 can find you if you use your cell phone.
Beiruty,

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Beiruty wrote:e911 is here to help. Most if not all Cellphones support e911.
Read here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/ ... ance-faqs/

911 can find you if you use your cell phone.
It works well in major metropolitan areas, but once you get out of town, it gets iffy. Not all more rural PSAPs have upgraded their equipment to receive the e911 data. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Shooting Ranges”