Jacobia Plain Shooting range (1k yards)

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Jacobia Plain Shooting range (1k yards)

Post by Beiruty »

Today, I was invited to (Jacobia) Jacob's Plain Shooting Range, 1,000 yard range.

The current status is that the shooting range is plain as plain can be.
I was invited by SafeShooter from Snipershide.com and when I arrived there was another guest shooter (James) too. Kevin, a member, joined us by 11:00AM.

The good story first.
1) The range had many steel targets from 400 yards to 1100 yards at well known distances and and unknown distances. Target sizes are from 2.0 MOA down to 1.0 MOA or smaller.
2) Shooters are very nice folks, willing to help and very co-operative and friendly. I had tons of fun shooting with them.
3) There is a wood bench if you like to shoot using it.
4) There is a stretch of space for prone shooting. See the website for a photo http://www.jacobsplaingc.com/
5) The range is private so no fighting for lanes nor any hassle or other annoyances
6) Guest fee is just $20
7) To be a member you need to qualify and be capable of shooting well at LR targets. Safety is first.

The not so good:
1) No restroom, or other facilities
2) No shade, so get yours with you. SafeShooter had 2 large shading tents and were setup by the time I arrived. Thanks for that, but I had already ordered my shade and had it in the car.
3) No water, so get a lot of it and keep it cold
4) No range officer, so the shooters have to call a cease fire and coordinate checking clear. Not a big deal as it is a private range.
5) Membership fees could be above average (Maybe $600 per yr but I am not sure)

Temp: 85F-95F
Hum: 50%
Pressure 29.80 at station
Wind 3-7 MPH at 90 degress, I called it 5MPH

As for my shooting:
1) I was asked if I need to check the zero of my rifle at 100yard paper target. I skipped.

500 yards
2) Dialed in at 500 yard and shot a 2MOA target, Hit at 12 O'oclock couple in inches from top of the plate.
3) Trued MV from 2749 fps to 2780 fps.

700 yards
4) Dialed for 700 yards and shot a 2 MOA target, scored a hit.
5) Shot at 1.5 MOA target at 700yard and hit score a hit to left of the plate (wind maybe was stronger down the range)

900 yards
6) There was 1-square plate and 2 diamond targets but the big square plate was behind a berm. So, I picked the center diamand and scored first shot hit. Now, everyone were Hi-5 :thewave

1000 yards,
I was asked if I would like to shoot at 1,000 yards, I said for sure, let us go for it.
7) Dialed for 1k yards 26.5 MOA but the target was way between trees and in the shade, I could not find it in my scope. I asked my host to spot it for me on my spotting scope so I can make sure it is the target I have to shoot.
Booom.... 3 sec laters... Bang... hit! :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

I was so happy that I all my shots were hits when I do my part. It was burning hot, but I had tons of fun.

Note, "mirrage" was killing our scope visibility. My scope was almost foggy above 28X so I was limiting mag to 24X

We had a break, had some snacks, drove down the lanes using SafeShooter's F-150 to inspect the targets and farthest we could reach was at 800 yards.
After the break I shot couple more rds, but I was missing or not sure if I did hit farther than 700 yards. Back to 700 yards and I could hit easily again.

Safeshooter had couple sweet custom rifles( like $10K in each) both are 6.5CM, one Semi-Auto AR platform, the other is IA bolt action. I shot the AR one at 700 yards I was able to score a hit on the second shot. NightForce ATCAR was a sweet scope too. Kevin and James had also nice rifles too.

All in all, it was a great experience. Range Owner/Manager is Paul McCoy. Range info: http://www.jacobsplaingc.com/
Last edited by Beiruty on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Jacobia Plain Shooting range (1k yards)

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Nice! Sounds a lot like ETTS. If you live to the north and east of downtown Dallas, it might be a lot closer than ETTS. On my nav app, Jacobs Plain is 85 miles and an hour and 20 minutes from my house (Grapevine). ETTS, where I'm already a member, is 1 hour and 60 miles away, so for me, it makes more sense. But they sound like very similar facilities with very similar kinds of owners and members.

I've found the long range shooting community to be a very humble and helpful bunch.

Sounds like you had a similar experience to mine. :thumbs2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Nice! Sounds a lot like ETTS. If you live to the north and east of downtown Dallas, it might be a lot closer than ETTS. On my nav app, Jacobs Plain is 85 miles and an hour and 20 minutes from my house (Grapevine). ETTS, where I'm already a member, is 1 hour and 60 miles away, so for me, it makes more sense. But they sound like very similar facilities with very similar kinds of owners and members.

I've found the long range shooting community to be a very humble and helpful bunch.

Sounds like you had a similar experience to mine. :thumbs2:
I live in Flower Mound and found the drive to ETTS managable. Maybe not every week but once or twice a month it sure is closer than anything else I have heard of.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Wow. Sure going to miss the Top Gun Range that was close to me here in Leonard. Had a chat with Terry (owner) of what was Top Gun and he had some very valid reasons for shutting it down. Some of those reasons would be a "shame on us" as shooters. A few undisciplined shooters do make life worse for the rest of us. With what he said I can understand why Jacobs Plain would have such high membership fees and not open to the public.
N5PNZ

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

For me JPSCR is 1hr drive in no traffic, not likely on the weekend anyway.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Shooting Ranges”