Austin Rifle Club Prospect Safety Evaluation & Range Orientation Class

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
remanifest
Posts in topic: 2

Austin Rifle Club Prospect Safety Evaluation & Range Orientation Class

Post by remanifest »

One of the big things I wanted to do when I got my LTC was to join the Austin Rifle Club. It's a solid deal at $150/year for a member, they have almost all outdoor ranges (except for the one indoor air gun range - same building as the orientation class), and they have lots of matches there. I'm interested in trying my hand at IDPA matches now.

Today, I attended the Prospect Safety Evaluation & Range Orientation Class. The Prospect Safety Evaluation is a simple process where you must state the four primary rules of firearm safety, demonstrate these rules, display your ability to heed a cease fire call, and to clear your weapon. ARC provided two volunteers to evaluate safety, and they took one prospect at a time. We fired upon paper plates from ~20 yards or so, and the volunteer working with me invited me to attend an IDPA match, shooting steel, next Tuesday.

Once the safety evaluation is finished, it's on to the orientation class. We (the prospects) pitched in to put down chairs, then attended the class. It's designed to get you familiar with what the club is all about, the opportunities to volunteer (which they encourage greatly), the matches that are held, how many people you may supervise shooting at the range at once, what firearms you may shoot at what ranges/what positions are allowed, what targets are allowed, with safety as the dominant theme throughout. I don't mind this approach for private clubs, and at no point did the class feel like it was a huge burden to me.

All in all, the volunteers running the orientation were all from the Board of Directors (President & VP there as well), the information was presented concisely, and everyone was polite as can be throughout. I'm really looking forward to getting involved in the local community of shooters, putting in some time to make an impact at the range, meeting some like-minded individuals, and shooting some matches. The Austin Rifle Club is also significantly cheaper to shoot at if you don't have your own range, which I do not.

I've seen some older posts about the Austin Rifle Club - I know we've got to have some current members on here. What do you all think, and what have your recent experiences been like? I haven't paid the dues yet, as it's a little steep for the pocketbook right now ($200 initiation fee, pro-rated fees for the rest of this year, and next year's dues put it over $450 for me). I do intend to join as soon as it is reasonable for me to drop the cash.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Austin Rifle Club Prospect Safety Evaluation & Range Orientation Class

Post by Mike S »

I've been a member for about 4 years, & I'm pretty happy with it. There's been a bit of a culture change over the past two years, with a return to the 'club' & 'educational' mindset. So, if the forum posts you're looking at are over a year old I'd take them at face value for the time period they were posted, but perhaps not reflective of the current environment.

I haven't participated in any of the Steel days, but the Safety Director a couple years back (may have changed positions now or rotated out) was heavily involved with those & seemed to be very helpful in getting people active with the sport.

I wouldn't hesitate to join, & the price increase (initiation fee & annual dues) is likely due to the safety improvements underway to reduce club liability (like the current construction on the 100-200 yd range to add ballistic eyebrows/ safety baffles to mitigate a round escaping the backstop).

Rpenn57

Post by Rpenn57 »

I've been a member for a little over two years and love it. My wife goes along, with her associates membership, which is cheaper. She won't go to an indoor range for various reasons. I took the short class to allow shooting steel targets and that's always fun too. I've done a few target matches and will plan to do some of the steel matches when i get some time.

Topic author
remanifest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by remanifest »

Thank you both for your input. I'm still probably around a month away from joining (family & need to budget appropriately for expenses), but your current opinions have helped a lot. I certainly feel more "free" when I'm shooting outside, and consider that to be the best place to foster teaching my young son about firearms, and to get involved in the community with me.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

kappatxl

Post by kappatxl »

Thanks for the information OP - I myself just moved down to Austin from Dallas and am looking to join ARC so appreciate the color on the process beyond the website. Maybe I'll see you out there one day.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”