NRA Annual Meeting 2024 in Dallas

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmorris
Posts in topic: 4

Re: NRA Annual Meeting 2024 in Dallas

Post by jmorris »

AF-Odin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:50 am Last time it was in Dallas, I carried both on DART and at the KBH Convention Center no issue. IIRC, when then President Trump spoke, again IIRC, carry was not allowed in the place where he was speaking as that was Secret Service controlled, but the rest of the site was OK.
That is correct, along with knives and anything the secret service decides is a deadly weapon. Don't think you're going to get away with a collapsible baton or maybe even a tactical pen. IIRC there was some kind of screening but don't recall if it was full up empty your pockets or just wanding. I did not go in.

The knife rights organization usually has a booth were you can check your knife but there's nothing for firearms.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

jmorris
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmorris »

AF-Odin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:50 am Last time it was in Dallas, I carried both on DART and at the KBH Convention Center no issue. IIRC, when then President Trump spoke, again IIRC, carry was not allowed in the place where he was speaking as that was Secret Service controlled, but the rest of the site was OK.
That is correct, along with knives and anything the secret service decides is a deadly weapon. Don't think you're going to get away with a collapsible baton or maybe even a tactical pen. IIRC there was some kind of screening but don't recall if it was full up empty your pockets or just wanding. I did not go in.

The knife rights organization usually has a booth were you can check your knife but there's nothing for firearms.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grayling813 »

Paladin wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:01 am I'm up for a 11am meetup on Friday.
Location for 11am Friday?

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Paladin »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:16 am
I was thinking by the NRA booth (8834) next to the entrance.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Paladin wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:15 pm
Grayling813 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:16 am
I was thinking by the NRA booth (8834) next to the entrance.
Works for me.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:00 am I will be there on Friday. I will hope to see someone I know from this board. I will have my black NRA hat on, and a Springfield Armory gray T-shirt.

flightmare is planning to attend, but I don't know which days.

SIA
Meetup 11am at the NRA booth.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Several of us talking in front of the booth
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rtschl »

Just got back from attending and got to meet Sootch00 and Hickock45. Lot of great vendors and the friendliness and genuineness of this community is always great. Did not attend any meetings but had a blast while there.
Ron
NRA Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Was great to see everyone at the 11AM meetup! Enjoyed catching up with Grayling813, SIA and Flightmare. It had been too long. The day flew by and my Dad loved it all.

It was the first time I'd seen John Corriea in person. He is more outstanding than ever!

While it was mostly instructor focused, Jeff Gonzales gave a 1st rate briefing on the importance of training standards.

Neil Weidner (ASP instructor) did a fantastic briefing on "Draw your gun". Vital takeaways for any concealed carrier. Especially the timing of Visual "Go" Signals, aka waiting our turn. The 2 second draw (Back view), 1.5 second draw (seeing their ear canal), or 1 second draw (eyes look away) rule of thumb is truly life saving info.

Looking forward to tomorrow :cheers2:

PS, some of the rooms were very cold, so don't be afraid to bring a jacket.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

We signed up more than 60 new members for TSRA on Friday. Hope to do better on Saturday. Need all the support we can get before the next legislative session.

Had a great time talking with reps of many of the venders I use. Not as much swag as the last Dallas show, but did get some. Ran into quite a few people I knew (or knew me) and was able to put faces to some whom I only knew on-line.

Wife was a real trooper and managed to stick with me from 0900 till we left about 1700. She even helped out with the TSRA booth during my shift.
:cheers2:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:49 am We signed up more than 60 new members for TSRA on Friday. Hope to do better on Saturday. Need all the support we can get before the next legislative session.

Had a great time talking with reps of many of the venders I use. Not as much swag as the last Dallas show, but did get some. Ran into quite a few people I knew (or knew me) and was able to put faces to some whom I only knew on-line.

Wife was a real trooper and managed to stick with me from 0900 till we left about 1700. She even helped out with the TSRA booth during my shift.
:cheers2:
Congrats on signing up so many new members. TSRA seems to be one of the best kept secrets in Texas!

Wish I could have stopped by but the days just seemed to fly by.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Saturday I saw a seminar by MAJ John Plaster. He is a highly decorated Vietnam vet who served in Special Forces and MACV-SOG, doing the most dangerous clandestine missions deep behind enemy lines. Despite what the schedule described (WW1), MAJ Plaster actually gave us the history of sniping during the Civil War. It was eye opening to say the least.

If I walked in somewhat in awe of MAJ Plaster, I left speechless. He is an American treasure. I learned so much in that 2 hours that I wished he could have done a briefing for all three days. He is that good and more. Definitely the highlight of an already spectacular weekend. :patriot:

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I'm told 72,000 people attended this year. It well worth being there. Looking forward to the next one.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Report from the TSRA Executive Director was that as of the end of the show, TSRA had signed up a total of 143 new members in various membership categories. I would expect a few more to trickle in from folks who took literature, but did not sign up at the show.

Wife and I will be back next time it is in Texas :txflag:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:43 pm Report from the TSRA Executive Director was that as of the end of the show, TSRA had signed up a total of 143 new members in various membership categories. I would expect a few more to trickle in from folks who took literature, but did not sign up at the show.

Wife and I will be back next time it is in Texas :txflag:
Great news! :cheers2:

Return to “National Rifle Association”