A question for Charles Cotton

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jbarn
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A question for Charles Cotton

Post by jbarn »

baboon wrote:
I want to know if he is for or against private ownership of NFA!

I'm certainly not gonna vote for another NRA Board member that is like old Joaquin Jackson just because he's from Texas.

That wasn't so hard, was it?
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:As others have noted, your question is very broad, so my response will have to be broad as well.

I think regulating the possession of a tool rather than the misuse of that tool is both ineffective and an affront to a free society.

I wish the NFA had never been passed and I wish it would be repealed. Unfortunately, this is not going to happen in my lifetime, if at all. I also would like to see Tex. Penal Code Chp. 46 repealed and focus on misuse of weapons, not their mere possession. That too isn't going to happen in my lifetime.

Since the NFA isn't going to be repealed, it should be narrowed to cover only fully automatic firearms and truly destructive devices or what I call area weapons such as cannons, grenade launchers, etc. There's no reason to regulate SBRs, suppressors, etc. I also believe that the local LEO sign-off should be repealed and that no background check should be required of anyone who holds a state license to carry that is exempt from a NICS check. There should be no fee or "stamp" requirement. Transfer of NFA weapons between individuals should require no more than using an FFL and the current Form 4473 with a NICS check, or no NICS check if the transferee has a NICS-exempt carry license.

Chas.
Those would be some great changes.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:As others have noted, your question is very broad, so my response will have to be broad as well.

I think regulating the possession of a tool rather than the misuse of that tool is both ineffective and an affront to a free society.

I wish the NFA had never been passed and I wish it would be repealed. Unfortunately, this is not going to happen in my lifetime, if at all. I also would like to see Tex. Penal Code Chp. 46 repealed and focus on misuse of weapons, not their mere possession. That too isn't going to happen in my lifetime.

Since the NFA isn't going to be repealed, it should be narrowed to cover only fully automatic firearms and truly destructive devices or what I call area weapons such as cannons, grenade launchers, etc. There's no reason to regulate SBRs, suppressors, etc. I also believe that the local LEO sign-off should be repealed and that no background check should be required of anyone who holds a state license to carry that is exempt from a NICS check. There should be no fee or "stamp" requirement. Transfer of NFA weapons between individuals should require no more than using an FFL and the current Form 4473 with a NICS check, or no NICS check if the transferee has a NICS-exempt carry license.

Chas.
An impressive list and one that makes good sense. Of course, that is why it will never make it though, common sense just isn't authorized. I especially agree with the idea that SBRs should be off the list; what difference does it make how long the barrel is, really?

Return to “National Rifle Association”