Became a life member today

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

brhalltx
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Became a life member today

Post by brhalltx »

Congratulations. :thewave

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Good for you.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Just what I need, a lifetime of being hounded by the NRA via emails and USPS. No thanks.

I like what they stand for, but I wish I could turn-off their advertising. I haven't decided whether I will renew again (signed-up for 3 years maybe last year) but I doubt at this point that even if I DON'T renew that they will stop pestering me.

:grumble

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Congrats. Been a Life member since ~1975.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

TomsTXCHL wrote:Just what I need, a lifetime of being hounded by the NRA via emails and USPS. No thanks.

I like what they stand for, but I wish I could turn-off their advertising. I haven't decided whether I will renew again (signed-up for 3 years maybe last year) but I doubt at this point that even if I DON'T renew that they will stop pestering me.

:grumble
Well that is entirely up to you.

Call NRA Member Services and tell them your contact preferences. They will turn all of that off if you ask them to do so.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Napier

Post by Napier »

I am a Patron. I solved all cold-calling by saying "Hang on a sec, will ya! I see a black heli with a white UN on it circling low over my house! Be back right after I nail him!" A few of those, and blessed silence.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

NRA is running an deal to upgrade from Endowment to Patron for $300. Runs until 15-March-2015

Sign in here... https://www.nra-2014.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBERSHIP: Just $300!
Save a full $1,200 off the regular $1,500 rate and receive our NRA insignia rolling duffel.
This 30" bag is designed to stand up to the roughest treatment your travels can dish out – and come back for more. Features include top and side-load compartments, a quick-access front pocket, and exceptionally smooth wheel and handle systems. A $129 value, this special gift will serve you proudly for years to come as a reminder of your lifetime NRA commitment!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

TomsTXCHL wrote:Just what I need, a lifetime of being hounded by the NRA via emails and USPS. No thanks.

The NRA does a very good job of honoring members' requests to be put on the "no marketing" list. Just call and tell them your preferences. Works like a charm. Does NOT, however, work with AAA, ARP, and others.

I'm a Patron Life member and I receive occasional emails regarding my instructor certification and NRA store promos, maybe one email every three weeks on average, but the only snail-mail I get are announcements of new benefits...and one of my favorite magazines, American Rifleman. Other than the magazine, I receive maybe six snail-mails a year from the NRA.

And sbrawley, thanks for becoming a lifer. 'Preciate it.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Skiprr wrote:

The NRA does a very good job of honoring members' requests to be put on the "no marketing" list. Just call and tell them your preferences.
I have instead been selectively un-subscribing from emails based upon their content i.e. in just the couple of days since posting here I've unsubscribed to:
market_place
special_announcements
palladium_books

but I will probably stick with NRA-ILA notifications, and we'll see what others come down-the-pipe. Doing the "click here" at the bottom of emails I find annoying seems a better approach than just calling and unlisting from everything, so long as the Lyris ListManager requests get honored.

So far so good. :thumbs2:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
Skiprr wrote:

The NRA does a very good job of honoring members' requests to be put on the "no marketing" list. Just call and tell them your preferences.
I have instead been selectively un-subscribing from emails based upon their content i.e. in just the couple of days since posting here I've unsubscribed to:
market_place
special_announcements
palladium_books

but I will probably stick with NRA-ILA notifications, and we'll see what others come down-the-pipe. Doing the "click here" at the bottom of emails I find annoying seems a better approach than just calling and unlisting from everything, so long as the Lyris ListManager requests get honored.

So far so good. :thumbs2:
I've had a similar experience.

When I first joined, i remember the FLOOD of snailmail. Really cheesed me. harassment, I thought.
Two phone calls and it stopped almost immediately.
Call #1 to NRA member services shut off all the NRA mail
Call #2 to the organization that handles all the insurance offers with the NRA logo got that spigot turned off.
Not sure why the second call was necessary, but it was.

I now get the occasional email (maybe 3-4 per month) and the occasional snailmmail (maybe 1-2 per month in addition to the magazine). Most of them for things I kept myself on the list to receive. It was pretty easy to turn it all off, but I understand the annoyance in having to make the effort to do so. Opt-in would be a better policy when you're paying to become a member.

Still... worth the minor annoyance.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

sbrawley - Thank you and welcome to the NRA :patriot: :txflag:
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I just upgraded from a Life Member [1983] to an Endowment Member! It's about time. :shock:
NRA Endowment Member

Post by 77346 »

Took me a while, several calls and unsubscribing to e-mails, but the only thing I get from them is my American Rifleman magazine.
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

77346 wrote:Took me a while, several calls and unsubscribing to e-mails, but the only thing I get from them is my American Rifleman magazine.
I had complained about email earlier in this thread, but as it happens when you get one you don't like, clicking on "unsubscribe" for that category does work--I'm not getting any more emails except for (I think) just the NRAstore ones.

Glad to see their system works. I do like American Rifleman a lot too. :patriot:

Return to “National Rifle Association”