Is the NRA-ILA in bed with politicians to save ATF?

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Is the NRA-ILA in bed with politicians to save ATF?

Post by Jumping Frog »

This has me scratching my head and wondering. Is it accurate, and if so I am not seeing why the NRA would work behind the scenes to expand ATF power. Or, is this like Infowars and totally bogus? I honestly don't know but a good discussion seems in order:
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ classification of pistol grip only firearms with 14” barrels that fire shotgun shells and are over 26” in overall length as neither “shotguns” nor National Firearms Act “Destructive Devices” or “Any Other Weapons” has created a situation wherein the agency must either quietly save face or have it exposed that untold numbers of good faith gun owners currently legally possess firearms problematic for the government to allow. In order for that status quo to continue, ATF, in conjunction with certain members of Congress and lobbying interests, is working at “tweaking” its definition of the arbitrary “sporting use” term, insider sources tell Gun Rights Examiner. And with that will come a push to expand definitions to allow for further importation bans on certain types of presently legal ammunition.

While many of the details of the deal being worked on are sketchy, informed sources are of the opinion that the “tradeoff” is a backroom effort that includes undisclosed “bipartisan” members of Congress, ATF acting on behalf of itself, the Department of Justice and the administration, and firearms lobbyists who have traditionally been part of the behind-the-scenes development, if not outright “ghostwriting” of classifications and rules affecting the industry and gun owners.
Last week, a secret deal involving the National Rifle Association lobbying arm and brokered by politicians of both national political parties was struck in Washington DC that would save the ATF from the political and legal consequences of its own regulatory errors. In the process, this deal would broaden the language of the 1968 Gun Control Act regarding "sporting purposes" and allow ATF to extract itself from the potentially catastrophic political damage of enforcing its arbitrary ruling that makes every owner of a pistol grip 12 Gauge shotgun like the Mossberg Cruiser a felon in possession of a "destructive device" subject to the penalties of the National Firearms Act of 1934 -- currently up to 10 years in federal prison and a quarter million dollar fine.

As explained by sources here and in the nation's capitol, the outlines of what one called "this cynical deal with the Devil" are as follows:

1. The ATF will be let off the hook by broadening the "sporting purposes" language and legislatively negating their own determination that millions of heretofore legal pistol-grip shotguns produced over the past decades by companies like Mossberg are "destructive devices."

2. The NRA will get to claim credit for, as one source said, "riding in out of the storm on a white horse and claiming to have saved millions of firearm owners from federal prison, even though," he added, "everybody in the room with an IQ above room temperature understands that politically and legally there is no (expletive deleted) way that ATF can enforce this ruling on anybody. They can't and they won't . . so" he concluded, "the NRA will claim to have saved their members from a boogeyman that never really existed."

3. In return for allowing NRA to claim the credit, the Democrats demanded another ammunition import ban on "specialty ammunition," to include tracers. Some sources agreed that this last "gimme" was a "throwaway," in the words of one. "Look, their M.O. is to always demand more than they know they can get in to get the thing they really value. They'd like to get it but what they really covet is knocking a bigger hole in the Constitution by (widening the 'sporting purposes' language) . . . this deal will give them one big enough to drive Diane Feinstein's limousine through."
I encourage readers to begin digesting both articles. Then, let the discussion begin.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Is the NRA-ILA in bed with politicians to save ATF?

Post by jmra »

Examiner.com is a glorified blog site. I wouldn't place much faith in a blog that quotes only unnamed sources.
From Wikipedia:
"Examiner.com is a media company based in Denver, Colorado, that operates a network of local news websites which use "pro–am contributors"' blogs for content.
Matt Smith of the San Francisco Weekly noted in 2007 that numerous articles and photos by Sharon Gray were from other sources, including the Sacramento Bee, and constituted apparent plagiarism. Smith suggested that the case showed that "free isn't always a bargain."[24] When questioned, Jim Pimentel, executive editor of Examiner said,

"They're blogs. They don't get edited. We don't give any direction to people on what to write in their blogs. And that's standard operating procedure."

So basically people write whatever they want with no journalistic accountability whatsoever.
Last edited by jmra on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

jmra wrote:Examiner.com is a glorified blog site. I wouldn't place much faith in a blog that quotes only unnamed sources.
I understand.

But David Codrea is a well-known gun rights author and industry insider published elsewhere as well. For example, he is an editor for GUNS magazine, penning the monthly Rights Watch column and he has been given awards by the Second Amendment Foundation at the Gun Rights Policy Conference. He isn't just some pimply-faced blogger sitting in his underwear in his mommy's basement and posting trash in the blogosphere.

Don't forget he exposed the ATF Fast & Furious gun walking in similar manner, and subsequently was given journalism awards for doing so.
Last edited by Jumping Frog on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra

Post by jmra »

Until he is willing to quote sources it's meaningless. Did the magazines he writes for carry the same article? Of course not because it doesn't meet the very basic standards of journalism.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

From the very quick google search of "David Codrea and the NRA", it would appear that Davd has had an axe to grind with the NRA leadership for years. Given the dozen or so other postings (I refuse to call them articles) I read dating back to 2009 that also stated unnamed sources with no later follow up of any kind, the postings listed in the OP shouldn't come as a surprise. The lack of any follow up in the future to support the allegations should also not be surprising.
Perhaps I'm missing something as I had limited time this morning for research.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

I don't get it because it sounds like the claim is that the ATF has ruled that all pistol grip shotguns are illegal but I can walk into any Academy and they're selling shotguns with pistol grips?

OK, I read the ATF 2009 letter and now I understand. I was confused by the terminology. They're talking about pistol grip in lieu of a buttstock.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

VMI77 wrote:...They're talking about pistol grip in lieu of a buttstock.
...and those are sold at sporting goods stores too...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

RogueUSMC wrote:
VMI77 wrote:...They're talking about pistol grip in lieu of a buttstock.
...and those are sold at sporting goods stores too...
Yeah, another factor in ascertaining that the actual law means little or nothing to the BATF, which is probably the second most corrupt Federal LE agency after the DEA. While I don't have any use for one myself the notion that they are some kind of extraordinarily dangerous weapon is absurd. Aside from other considerations you'd think that people who regulate firearms would consider aimed fire more dangerous than shooting from the hip --but maybe not, when you're part of an agency that shoots from the hip.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “National Rifle Association”