NRA 2016 Ballot Discussion.....

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

NRA 2016 Ballot Discussion.....

Post by RoyGBiv »

Received my ballot this week. Just got around to reviewing the candidates over breakfast this morning.
I thought it might be helpful for those of us unfamiliar with some/all of the candidates to have a place to ask questions.

I'm generally of the mindset that I'll vote for the folks I know and feel positive about, but not force myself to vote for 25. If I get a dozen folks I know enough about to vote for, I'm happy.

That said.... This forum has been a good place for information gathering and if I can learn about the good deeds of an unfamiliar candidate, I'd be pleased to add them to my ballot.

As with any such internet discussion, there's always a risk of veering off into why we should NOT vote for a particular person. I'd appreciate it if we would make a concerted effort to discuss positive things candidates have done/accomplished.

There's plenty of available information to be Googled about Ted Nugent, Larry Craig and Grover Norquist, for example. Let's not rehash that here...

N. Stephanie Spika surely is cute, but, has she done anything that makes her worthy of my vote? I have no idea.

So....Let's hear it....

Here's why I'm voting FOR......
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: NRA 2016 Ballot Discussion.....

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I just deleted a post that linked to another website with NRA endorsements and other information about the NRA elections for 2016. Let me explain why I deleted the post.

First, anything on the Forum is going to be picked up by other organizations, including anti-gun organizations. I cannot allow the Forum to be improperly used by others with an agenda. Secondly, I have endorsed two of the very good sitting Board members and I don't want my endorsements to be watered down by those of other websites. I would have happily endorsed more, but these are the only two who asked for my help in what is a very crowded field.

There was nothing wrong with posting the link and I don't want anyone to think the post was improper or in violation of any Forum rules.

I will provide more information soon, but I am endorsing Dwight Van Horn and Carol Bamberry for reelection. I also strongly suggest voting only for people who were nominated by the Nominating Committee. This is not an attack on people who were elected solely by petition, but those nominated by the Nominating Committee were fully vetted and every single claim they made about their experience and qualifications were verified. I've served on the Nominating Committee twice since being elected to the Board in 2001. (You can only serve once every five years and never when you are up for election.) I have first hand experience how seriously the Committee takes its responsibility to the NRA Members.

Chas.

MP(Ret)95B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MP(Ret)95B »

I received my magazine but no ballot form. Any idea why?
:patriot: <MP> :txflag:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

MP(Ret)95B wrote:I received my magazine but no ballot form. Any idea why?
How long have you been a member? There is a 5-year membership requirement.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

MP(Ret)95B

Post by MP(Ret)95B »

Understand then.
Have only been a member for 2 years.
Thanks for the update.
<MP>

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

A general note that the NRA ballot is not like an SAT test.

Do not color in all the options in hopes of getting 25 of 25 correct. Doesn't work that way.

The vote is an actual, numerical count. There is no delegate system at work here.

Please select only those candidates whom you trust and believe in.

That actual, numerical count is what determines the outcome.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I just got my ballot, I think because I paid off my EPL, so this is a first for me. Lot to read through and ballots are due in by May 1st.

Does NRA make the membership voting participation rate public? If so, what's the normal percentage? I'm curious.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Haven't managed to dig up the raw source material (searching nra/elections/participation/rates returns mostly general election stuff), but did find published reports that indicate the participation rate is about 6% of eligible membership.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Scott B. wrote:Haven't managed to dig up the raw source material (searching nra/elections/participation/rates returns mostly general election stuff), but did find published reports that indicate the participation rate is about 6% of eligible membership.
That's surprising. I would expect the rate among eligible NRA members to be far higher, even considering that there would likely be a hierarchy among those eligible: e.g., annual members with more than five years continuous membership would be somewhat likely to vote; members who purchase in five-year blocks more likely to vote; life members even more likely to vote.

A general reminder to everyone that ballots must be received--not postmarked, but received--by May 1. If you're eligible to vote, remember that keeping the NRA leadership strong is almost as important as being a member of the NRA.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pawpaw wrote:
MP(Ret)95B wrote:I received my magazine but no ballot form. Any idea why?
How long have you been a member? There is a 5-year membership requirement.
Really? I think I received a ballot the first year. I started right off with a lifetime membership, though. Maybe that makes a difference.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “National Rifle Association”