Holiday Shopping: AmazonSmile & the NRA

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Holiday Shopping: AmazonSmile & the NRA

Post by Skiprr »

'Tis the season, and Black Friday already generated an almost 9% rise in spending over last year. Many of you already use AmazonSmile when you shop the mega online retailer, and others are at least aware of it. The percentage of your purchase amounts that go to your designated charity is, admittedly, miniscule. When I mention AmazonSmile to folks who don't use it, that's most often the complaint against the program that I hear: the amounts are so small, they can't make any difference.

But even miniscule adds up:

My meager purchases have contributed only $26.39 to the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund, But that's $26.39 they otherwise wouldn't have. And when you look at the running total for the Fund as of the start of November, well, $24,584 in free money ain't nuthin' to sneeze at.

Using AmazonSmile is no different than shopping at Amazon; you'll find exactly same prices, selection, and shopping experience as always. You just start out at http://smile.amazon.com/. And it's completely free to you!

How do I select an NRA charity as my organization to support when shopping on AmazonSmile?

On your first visit to AmazonSmile, you need to select a charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping. Amazon will remember your selection, and then every eligible purchase you make will result in a donation. From the list of charities, do a search for "NRA":

You'll find a few different options. I chose the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund, but you might choose a different one. Just click on "Select," and you're done. Easy Peasy.

How do I shop at AmazonSmile?

To shop at AmazonSmile, always start at http://smile.amazon.com/ from the Web browser on your computer or mobile device. You may want to add a bookmark to the address to make it even easier to return and start your shopping at AmazonSmile. That's all there is to it. Everything else you see will look like the Amazon.com you're familiar with.

Which products on AmazonSmile are eligible for charitable donations?

Tens of millions of products on AmazonSmile are eligible for donations. You will see eligible products marked "Eligible for AmazonSmile donation" on their product detail pages. But even if a particular product is not eligible, you can still buy it in the same shopping cart session and the collected items will ship together: there's no shopping cart distinction between donation-eligible and non-eligible items.

Can I use my existing Amazon.com account on AmazonSmile?

You bet. You use the same account on Amazon.com and AmazonSmile. Your shopping cart, Wish List, wedding or baby registry, and other account settings are also the same and automatically carry over to AmazonSmile.

How much of my purchase does Amazon donate?

The AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases. The purchase price is the amount paid for the item minus any rebates and excluding shipping & handling, gift-wrapping fees, taxes, or service charges. From time to time, Amazon may offer special, limited time promotions that increase the donation amount on one or more products or services or provide for additional donations to charitable organizations. Special terms and restrictions may apply. Please see the relevant promotion for complete details.

How can I learn more about AmazonSmile?

You can find complete AmazonSmile program details here: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/pd/ref= ... _spd_pd_pd.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Holiday Shopping: AmazonSmile & the NRA

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

One note: If you order something from within the Amazon mobile app, it won't go to Smile. You have to use a web browser at smile.amazon.com.

Any time I go to Amazon.com directly, they remind me to go to Smile and it gives me a little button to forward. Do like Skiprr and I, Smile at the NRA. :cheers2:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:One note: If you order something from within the Amazon mobile app, it won't go to Smile.
Interesting; didn't know that. You'd think they'd modify the app to serve AmazonSmile, as well. Thanks for the heads-up!
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

As soon as I learned about this earlier this year I set mine to the same thing.
NRA Benefactor Member

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

And while the NRA is certainly a deserving charity, don't forget that there are others included in the program, that are also worthy. My meager .05% is directed to the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Fund, Inc., for example.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “National Rifle Association”