S&W Model 12 4" RB...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

S&W Model 12 4" RB...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. Being especially fond of the S&W Model 10 genre of revolvers, I picked up a very nice, very clean Model 12-3 recently. It came with no box and the owner advised that it had been carried none and fired little. Inspecting the inside of the frame behind the cylinder bears this out as there is hardly any marring to be seen.

Stocks are original and are serial numbered to the revolver. The action is smooth in both double and single.

The gun would pass as NIB...if it had a box, but the finish is not perfect. On the rear grip strap there is a tiny chip in the black anodized finish.

I have not yet shot the gun but will probably get around to it soon. This one will probably not be carried much if any. It is simply a variant of the Model 10 that I didn't own and a revolver that I find "classic and graceful" in design and simply wanted to own. I recall not buying one of these in the early '80's and while there were no major regrets, I am glad to have one in the safe now.

This one is marked Model 12-3 and has serial number 8D675XX.

Best.

Topic author
Crosstimbers Okie

Re: S&W Model 12 4" RB...

Post by Crosstimbers Okie »

That's a beauty there! I have a Model 10 that looks just like it except it's a square butt. I would have to cut the hammer spur off, put some eagle Boot grips on it, load it with 158 gr LHPs, and slide it into a Done Hume. I carried mine for years before discovering Glock. The finish is surprisingly durable if you clean every two or three days with a CLP. Mine I inherited from my grandfather who acquired it new in the '60s. It still looks almost new.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Stephen, you're a master at finding excellent revolvers! This is another beautiful one.

Chas.

dustyb
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dustyb »

My father has a 12-3 exactly like the one pictured, that he has had since the late 70's or early 80's, and that will most likely be mine one day. It also has hardly been fired at all. It has a few marks on the finish also, but is in good shape. I have read that it is not a good idea to fire +P ammunition in the Airweights because of their aluminum frames. Do you know anything about this?
Last edited by dustyb on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dustyb
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dustyb »

Never mind my last post. Your article on "Shooting the S&W Model 12" answered all my questions.

thanks

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I just can't bring myself to like S&W revolvers from that era, despite their beauty. The ergonomics are horrible. When I hired on with this agency, we still had Model 10s (mostly 10-13s). I admit, they were beaters, and had not been treated with TLC. Still, a lack of TLC doesn't change the fact that someone with normal man-sized mitts has to draw his trigger finger back to an uncomfortable degree before the hammer falls on these revolvers.

But, that's a beauty, Steve. Congrats!

Topic author
Crosstimbers Okie

Post by Crosstimbers Okie »

Ahh, Kevin. Bill Jordan solved your problem with this "Trooper" grips.

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

It's a Beauty and I may be the only one here that prefers the small grip's, but I grew up with gun's that had small grip's and a two finger hold with the base of the butt sitting on top of my curled up little finger feels and point's great for me. :fire
I love my K-frame's,
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Return to “Camp's Corner”