"New" S&W Model 28 w/4" Bbl...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

"New" S&W Model 28 w/4" Bbl...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. I found a clean and "nearly new" Model 28 at a good price the other day. I do not think that the service stocks that came on it were original as they were dinged up pretty good. This gun has no holster wear comensurate with the beat up stocks. For now, I stuck a set of the large N-frame target grips on it.

This one has the "N" serial number and the action was not quite as smooth as other N-frames, but was easily cleaned up and improved.

The action on this older Model 28 ("S" prefix in serial number and 4-screw) is as smooth as I've seen on any N-frame S&W.

I paid $300 for this latest Model 28 and consider it money well-spent. The gun shoots and functions just fine...as expected.

I remember when these things were in many police holsters and very easy to find at what would now be considered cheap prices.

If I had a time machine...

Best.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I paid $300 for this latest Model 28 and consider it money well-spent.
Understatement of the year! :shock: :lol:

I have seen 28's in less than 80% condition sell recently for $350 at local shops and better ones over $400. I have not seen one as clean as yours in a very long time.
Great find!
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello and thanks. I thought I'd better "get while the gettin' was good."

Best.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Those S&W revolvers give me the warm fuzzies. :smile:

I remember the cold winter days back in the '70's at the range with Dad teaching either reserve Sheriffs or security classes. A S&W model 10 on my hip, walking up and down the line watching the shooters while Dad called the course of fire.

Back then semi-autos were made fun of. Electric guns, we called them. We always stuck them on the right end of the line so others did not have to eat their brass.

I cut my shooting teeth on that S&W revolver, and I would securely carry one today.

Beautiful gun, Mr Camp. I am looking forward to a range report.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. Yes, I remember those times as I started out in LE in the early '70's.

Best.

HankB

Post by HankB »

Very nice revolver for $300 . . . color me green with envy.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Glockamolie

Post by Glockamolie »

Were you wearing a mask when you "purchased" that S&W? That was a very good deal indeed!
- Brandon

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. Well, sometimes "even a blind hog gets lucky" as the saying goes.

Best.

Return to “Camp's Corner”