2000 Shots Later: Ruger GP100 w/3" Bbl...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

2000 Shots Later: Ruger GP100 w/3" Bbl...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. Back in 2003, I purchased a NIB Ruger GP100 w/3" bbl and the "short shroud" at a nice price. I'd been trying to find a like-new S&W Model 681 to replace the excellent one that I'd owned a few years before and foolishly traded away.

I was surprised at the nice double-action pull on the Ruger but a tad disappointed in the single-action pull; it just wasn't as nice as on the typical S&W.

At the range I was definitely not disappointed in the revolver's performance. It was utterly reliable and a peach to shoot with any of the 357 loads tried. For those who might be interested, results and observations are here:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Rang ... 0GP100.htm

Since that original report, I've shot approximately 2000 .357 Magnum loads, factory and handloaded, through this revolver. Certainly, this is really not a "long-term" situation, but I think it represents enough of one to suggest that the GP100 is most capable of handling more than enough magnum rounds for the most shooters in a lifetime.

The DA pull has gotten better with use and frankly, is as smooth and light as any of my S&W revolvers. The single-action is still not as light and crisp as those on the S&W's, but it is imminently useable.

The factory load I shoot most often in this gun is Winchester's 145-gr. STHP. An "old technology" bullet is used in it to be sure, but it has "worked" nicely for me on critters and groups well in most revolvers I've shot it through. This GP100 is no exception. Today, I used a handload consisting of cast 158-gr. SWC's over 7.0-grains Unique powder. One can certainly go hotter but this one's worked nicely for me and seems close enough to the Winchester STHP load to allow for more economical shooting as a substitute for this usual "carry round." Based on ten-shot strings fired 10' from the chronograph screens, the Winchester 145-gr. STHP averages 1197 ft/sec with a standard deviation of 17. The CSWC handload does 1154 ft/sec with the same SD. I also used a Rainier 158-gr. PFP over the same powder charge just to see what it would do, but didn't chronograph it...yet.

Seated and with wrists braced, this group was shot slow-fire and in single-action using the SWC handload. POA was the center of the bullseye. It groups satisfactorily albeit a tad high at 25 & 50 yards, at least for my eyes.

I repeated the process for the Rainier handload but fired in double-action. To me, the groups are equivalent. This was not really much of a surprise but a reaffirmation that some precise work can be done double-action. Back in my police PPC days, like many other shooters, I opted to shoot all of the stages, including 50 yards in double-action. To do much good at it, the action must be smooth. We were all shooting either S&W or Colt revolvers then, but this GP100's slick DA lent itself nicely to double-action shooting.

At 25 yards, I did the single-action thing again using a 6 O' Clock hold at the bottom of the bullseye. This is close enough for my shooting "needs" and I was more than happy with the results.

Moving to 10 yards, I fired several "Failure to Stop" drills from a standing position and using a two-hand hold. I didn't have a timer but fired the torso shots as quickly as I could obtain a "flash sight picture." A few shots were a tad farther out than I would have preferred but so the chips fell. The head shots were a bit slower. I would estimate that the torso shots were fired at about 2 shots per second and the head shots at half that. A certain revolver superstar with the initials "JM" has nothing to fear from me!"

After that, I shot falling plates a few times from 10 and 15 yards with the SWC load and shot at a "metal man" from 50 and about 65 yards standing, using both single and double-action. I was surprised that there were more hits than misses; there is no doubt that the misses were due to operator error.

Again, not really all that many shots have been fired through this revolver to constitute true long-term results, but so far I believe that the gun is a very good buy and long lasting. To my eye, it remains a cut below those of the classic S&W but on the range or field or in the "dark place" that doesn't count for much in my opinion.
I cannot say that it would be true for all Rugers, but this one has proven itself to be capable of extremely smooth double-action use as it came from the box, though its single-action doesn't match the Smith & Wesson's, at least not on my gun.

I like this revolver very much, more than when I initially purchased it and plan to continue using it both at the range and as a carry gun in the woods. It is also a "house gun" and one that is always loaded.

The crane-to-frame fit has remained constant with no "slop" and the revolver's cylinder remains timed nicely. It locks soundly before the hammer drops. The gun has never bound up when firing...at least to 300 shots. It has not been fired more than that between cleanings. Leading has been very minor and easily removed, indicating a smoothly bored barrel.

This revolver is stock; no changes whatsoever have been made with it. While this is entirely subjective to the individual shooter, I've found the factory stocks to be comfortable and plan on making no changes to this handgun.

In my opinion, the GP100 is a very viable choice for folks wanting a .357 Magnum that should be both long-lasting and easy to handle. It is neither the smallest nor the largest example and certainly not the lightest, but it is not hard to tote and its weight handles the magnum's recoil nicely.

This one remains a keeper.

Best.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike1951 »

I've had a 6" GP100 for the better part of 20 years, but I've always wanted a 3".

Last week, I broke down and bought one of the current 3", full shroud models.

Haven't been to the range yet, but I have no doubt I'll be pleased with it.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I'll bet that you are. Good luck with your new revolver.

Best.

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BrassMonkey »

What is a shroud? And it looks like you left some ammo unfired. Sounds like a sin to me :-)
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello, sir. The shroud is that portion of the barrel that surrounds the ejector rod on three sides.

Best.

PS: The ammo thing you mentioned could indeed be some sort of minor sin at least!

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BrassMonkey »

Thanks, sir...

I see it. And it's purpose is to ummm, simply shroud the ejector rod? That's it? Just a protective piece of metal? I never shot a six gun, lol...
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. Yes, I think so. It also adds a little extra weight up front to perhaps help reduce muzzle flip.

Best.

LarryH

Re: 2000 Shots Later: Ruger GP100 w/3" Bbl...

Post by LarryH »

Stephen,

I've been looking to add a double-action revolver to the bunch. Since I have had a Single-Six and a Blackhawk for many years, Ruger products have a "leg up" on the rest of the offerings.

At the time I bought the first two, the Security-Six was the in-production DA model from Ruger. I recently saw (at the Pasadena, TX gun show) a LNIB Security-Six in chrome/stainless (not sure which). How would a (presumably good condition) Security-Six compare to the current production GP and SP models? (I personally think it's a better-looking gun.)

ELB

Post by ELB »

Years ago I rented a GP-100 at a gun range. Iowned two S&W Model 19s at the time, and really liked them, but thought I would give the Ruger a try. It was a well used range gun, and had a beautiful double-action pull on it - I still remember how surprised I was at the time. I did not expect it to equal the Model 19s, but it was great. Don't remember anything about single action pull, but I seldom shoot single action -- I've found I am no more accurate at single action than I am double, so why bother pulling the hammer.

I've thought ever since that I should get a GP-100 (or maybe its little brother, the SP-101, in bobbed hammer version), because, well, everybody needs another revolver, right? :lol: However, while still on the wish list, it kind of got pushed down a bit by other things, like another Hi Power or three..or four, a 1911, and Taurus Tracker in .357, an AR15-type, etc etc. Mr. Camp's post just pushed it back up the list.

Dang it, decisions, decisions...

elb
USAF 1982-2005

tex45acp

Post by tex45acp »

I have owned and been shooting Ruger revolvers for the better part of three decades. However the GP-100 never really appealed to me....that is until I came across a used 3" with the half shroud. I had read Mr. Camps article on the Repatriated Ruger GP-100 he has and how much he liked it. This one was nice and showed very little use. I bought it, shot it and new I was going to be keeping it. I decided to go one step further and send it off to Gemini Customs to have it "massaged" by Marc Morganti's very capable hands. He really worked magic with this revolver and man am I happy with the results. Thank's Mr. Camp.

Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Nice gun and very nice photos.

Chas.

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. Looks like you have a really nice GP there. I am glad that the article was of service.

Best.

Henry Dearborn

Post by Henry Dearborn »

I only have one GP100 and it's a 4". I have several of the older Security Sixes though. The gun I own most comparable to the 3" GP is probably a 3" SP101. I have really enjoyed shooting it. It is a little larger than I prefer for bug status but more fun to shoot than my J Frames.

Return to “Camp's Corner”