2010 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC: Bring your FS radios

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

2010 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC: Bring your FS radios

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If you have FRS (Family Service Radio) radios, bring them to the TexasCHLforum Day. We will set up two or three different frequencies to use for broadcasting information like impromptu mentor sessions, general an specific announcements, etc. We will also be able to answer most questions people may have, without them having to find one of our staff.

Chas.

Cobra Medic
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 2010 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC: Bring your FS radios

Post by Cobra Medic »

If you plan to use privacy tones, make sure they're compatible with the different radios. We had that problem at an event I volunteered.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just bought a pair last night for my son for an event he'll be at this weekend. I'll borrow them from him for my wife and me when we come down there.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

I have been wanting to get a pair of these. What frequencies should we make sure they have?
Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

All FRS radios have the same channels (except maybe the ones with Hello Kitty or Spongebob.) They are low power and don't require a license.

There are also GMRS radios. Those require a license. The GMRS radios are sometimes higher power, but not always. They also have their own GMRS channels. The confusion comes from several channels are shared by FRS and GMRS, and many companies make dual band FRS/GRMS that can use all channels. (FRS-only, GRMS-only, and shared.) Transmitting on GRMS-only channels without a license (or on shared channels at high power without a license) is a Federal crime. Like carrying on COE lakes.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Well, I hate to violate COE lakes... LOL. But I have been wanting a pair of them for various events etc. Was looking online etc at some Midland models. Amazon for $60 plus dollar ranges. Who is has good luck with different models? Thanks. OH, and thanks Charles for the service.

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

quidni

Post by quidni »

The issue with the privacy tones is that manufacturers don't all use a standardized labeling system.

However, every pair of FRS/GMRS radios should come with a "how to" sheet that includes a list of channels and what frequencies they correspond to. (look on the mfr's website if you no longer have the list.) Match the frequencies, not the channel/tone numbers, and you should have no problem.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

Return to “2010 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC”