Keep up to date on DPS changes impacting CHL instructors and licensees

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

DPS Update 8/26/11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have some information to pass on from DPS. Most of it applies to instructors, but CHL's will be interested in some of these topics.

Instructor Renewals
No shooting will be required for instructors renewing this year, if you certificate expires on Dec. 31, 2011. Letters and new certificates will be going out to instructors who have applied for renewal and passed the online test. Some folks took the test, but didn't actually apply for renewal and pay the fee. Those instructors need to complete the application process.

Instructors will have to shoot when their certificates expire in 2015, but you will be able to complete the proficiency requirement with any CHL Instructor. From that point on, we will have to do the shooting proficiency portion of the renewal process every other renewal; i.e. every four years.

If your instructor certificate expired less than two years ago, you can still renew by taking the online test, but you will have to do the shooting proficiency portion of the renewal. (You can use any CHL Instructor.)

Revised forms
There is a new guest instructor approval form on the DPS website.

As others have reported, the CHL-7 and CHL-8 have been revised and are available on the DPS website.

The CHL-100 has been revised and it will be available on the DPS website shortly. The new CHL-100 is not yet a mandatory form, but it's a good idea to make the change soon to avoid any of your students from being delayed. DPS will give us plenty of warning when the new forum will be required. The new CHL-100 will have a place to record time spent on the required core subjects, as well as the range portion of the class. This is being done for several reasons, and I strongly suspect it is in part because of student complaints similar to those we have seen here on TexasCHLforum. As I tell every class, DPS is very protective of CHL holders, even to the point of being paternalistic. They want to do everything they can to make sure certified instructors are covering everything CHL's need to know to stay out of trouble. We instructors need to do our part and give them accurate numbers when we record the time spent on the various subjects. I can see very good uses for this information in upcoming legislative sessions.

Approved videos
DPS is reevaluating the videos it previously approved to see which ones are still appropriate for the course, probably in light of legislative changes. Until this evaluation process is finished, no new videos will be approved. (Let's give them time to finish their review before we ask for new approvals.) However, DPS posted several videos used in Instructor schools on Youtube and those are approved for use in CHL classes.

I want to thank the folks at DPS for making this information available to our Members here at TexasCHLforum. Those who have been around as long as I have can truly appreciate the wonderful working relationship we now enjoy with DPS. The improvements DPS has made to the CHL program over the last two years is amazing. It's rare to see such extensive changes happen this fast in the private sector, but it's unheard of with a governmental agency. These people are dedicated to modernizing the program and system. Yes, with almost 500,000 CHL's in Texas, some few will fall through the cracks, but those are rare. The vast majority of my students and those of instructors I've talked to report getting their CHL's in 30 days or less. Thanks folks!

Chas.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DPS Update 8/26/11

Post by longtooth »

Thank you too Charles for your hard work to make this happen many yrs ago. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Thanks Charles! Also to give this post a bump I missed it the first time around.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Charles, a few questions for you.
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Instructor Renewals
No shooting will be required for instructors renewing this year, if you certificate expires on Dec. 31, 2011. Letters and new certificates will be going out to instructors who have applied for renewal and passed the online test. Some folks took the test, but didn't actually apply for renewal and pay the fee. Those instructors need to complete the application process.

Instructors will have to shoot when their certificates expire in 2015, but you will be able to complete the proficiency requirement with any CHL Instructor. From that point on, we will have to do the shooting proficiency portion of the renewal process every other renewal; i.e. every four years.
Is this a typo? Or, are you saying that our instructor certs will be good for 4 years, instead of 2?
Approved videos
DPS is reevaluating the videos it previously approved to see which ones are still appropriate for the course, probably in light of legislative changes. Until this evaluation process is finished, no new videos will be approved. (Let's give them time to finish their review before we ask for new approvals.) However, DPS posted several videos used in Instructor schools on Youtube and those are approved for use in CHL classes.
It was my prior understanding that we only needed DPS approval for full length videos, not short clips. Has this changed?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

Crossfire wrote:Charles, a few questions for you.

Is this a typo? Or, are you saying that our instructor certs will be good for 4 years, instead of 2?
Approved videos
It was my prior understanding that we only needed DPS approval for full length videos, not short clips. Has this changed?
The way I understood it from class, everyone will be doing the online test only for both the 2011 and 2013 renewal's. Shooting proficiency will be required on the 2015 renewal and will continue every other renewal after that.

Brian

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Crossfire wrote:Charles, a few questions for you.

Approved videos
As BrianSW99 posted, we won't have to shoot again until 2015, then every other renewal thereafter. All shooting for renewals will be done with other instructors.

I don't know of any changes to the rules about short-clip videos that we use in various segments of classes. It's the longer videos like the ones that have been previously approved that are at issue. Those previously approved are being reviewed and may or may not continue to be listed on the approved list. No new videos will be considered while the renew is underway.

Chas.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Is the current "approved list" available somewhere? All I see on the site are short video clips unless I missed something.

Good deal on the shooting requirement! :clapping:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “DPS Updates”