Keep up to date on DPS changes impacting CHL instructors and licensees

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

DPS Instructor Audits & More

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Well, I've suffered another "Sometimer's Moment." I could have sworn I posted this last Friday but . . . oh well, I'll forget about making this mistake . . . in a few minutes.

1. I have confirmed with DPS that Instructors should keep only a copy of the CHL-100 we give to our students. This is proof of successfully passing (or not) both the classroom and range portion of the classes.

2. Some students are uploading documents that have been scanned poorly, i.e. poor resolution, incomplete as in cut-off, etc, or to a non-compatible format. This can result in DPS not having a complete application. DPS has not prohibited students uploading documents, but until/unless this problem is resolved, I am strongly recommending my students mail their documents to DPS. In all candor, it sounds like a problem on the student end, so I don't see how DPS can resolve the issue. (We have this problem at PSC with Members uploading illegible documents.)

3. Instructors can still take photos for students, or the student can use the photo on their Texas Driver's License. If using the TDL photo, write that on the photoholder (CHL-6).

Chas.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DPS Instructor Audits & More

Post by anygunanywhere »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Well, I've suffered another "Sometimer's Moment."
Chas.
Are you talking about that "halfzheimers" malady that infects us occasionally?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Tamie

Post by Tamie »

It might be worth doing both. Scan and upload the documents, then send the originals by normal mail. If the scans are good, DPS can start immediately. If the scans have a problem, DPS will get the originals in a week and can proceed then.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Tamie wrote:It might be worth doing both. Scan and upload the documents, then send the originals by normal mail. If the scans are good, DPS can start immediately. If the scans have a problem, DPS will get the originals in a week and can proceed then.
Overall, that would increase DPS' workload slowing processing.

Chas.

Venix

Post by Venix »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: 3. Instructors can still take photos for students, or the student can use the photo on their Texas Driver's License. If using the TDL photo, write that on the photoholder (CHL-6).

Chas.

Is there anymore information on this posted somewhere?

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Venix wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: 3. Instructors can still take photos for students, or the student can use the photo on their Texas Driver's License. If using the TDL photo, write that on the photoholder (CHL-6).

Chas.

Is there anymore information on this posted somewhere?
I have been giving my students this option for a couple of months. So far mine are lovin it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

A-R

Post by A-R »

How does student use their DL photo?

Just had a student complete online app and it still told him passport photos were required.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

The checklist still says passport photos required.

But, to use the DL photo, just fill out the CHL-6 form, and write across it "USE DL PHOTO"
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

We were told in Instructors class to write 'Use Existing Texas Drivers License Photo' on the top of the CHL-6.

Of course, this is ONLY for Texas resident CHL. Non-resident applicants still have to send passport photos as DPS would not have a DL photo on file that they could get to electronically.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “DPS Updates”