no DPS update for all of 2012?

Keep up to date on DPS changes impacting CHL instructors and licensees

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: no DPS update for all of 2012?

Post by C-dub »

No new legislation since 2011. They don't meet again until next year.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MasterOfNone »

I don't think the OP is speaking of law updates. Rather, he surely shares my concern that no effort has been made to communicate with instructors about procedural changes, such as submitting docs electronically.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

MasterOfNone wrote:I don't think the OP is speaking of law updates. Rather, he surely shares my concern that no effort has been made to communicate with instructors about procedural changes, such as submitting docs electronically.
Or changes to (or even the existence of) the administrative rules, which apparently they now teach are required to be known and followed by instructors.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Do they often make changes or updates in the even years when the legislature doesn't meet?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

C-dub wrote:Do they often make changes or updates in the even years when the legislature doesn't meet?
Changes or updates to what?

If you're referring to the Admin rules, my understanding is that it has nothing to do with the legislature. The legislature makes laws that control what is legal regarding concealed handgun carry, and the broad requirements for the CHL system (qualifications, etc). DPS makes administrative rules regarding how they administrate the CHL Licensing system -- which controls the specific procedures for applying, how to become an instructor, procedures and paperwork that instructors must follow, forms creation and modification, etc. They can change those at any time. For example, the new layout for the CHL-100 form requiring listing specific times for various class and range subjects was an administrative change. It did not come from the legislature.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

sjfcontrol wrote:
C-dub wrote:Do they often make changes or updates in the even years when the legislature doesn't meet?
Changes or updates to what?

If you're referring to the Admin rules, my understanding is that it has nothing to do with the legislature. The legislature makes laws that control what is legal regarding concealed handgun carry, and the broad requirements for the CHL system (qualifications, etc). DPS makes administrative rules regarding how they administrate the CHL Licensing system -- which controls the specific procedures for applying, how to become an instructor, procedures and paperwork that instructors must follow, forms creation and modification, etc. They can change those at any time. For example, the new layout for the CHL-100 form requiring listing specific times for various class and range subjects was an administrative change. It did not come from the legislature.
Thanks. I figured if the legislature didn't make any changes then there weren't any changes to anything else needed.

Return to “DPS Updates”