Petition to the Governor and the Texas DPS.

Keep up to date on DPS changes impacting CHL instructors and licensees

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Petition to the Governor and the Texas DPS.

Post by mojo84 »

Looks to me Obama has been good for the Texas CHI program.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

It was way over 6 months before I received mine. Patience grasshopper!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

mojo84 wrote:Looks to me Obama has been good for the Texas CHI program.
He's been the best gun salesman in history! :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cb1000rider »

Prankster707 wrote: It seems that the Texas DPS in Austin is either understaffed, staffed by incompetent employees or is just in need of a plain, good ole overhaul. I've seen posts on here of people calling and being told that they didn't send in their CHL-100, or the email team had "forgotten" to send their documents over to the licensing people, among other completely ridiculous and preventable measures. I'm not sure about you, but this is completely unacceptable for any business, organization or government entity to do. I had foolishly expected better out of the great state of Texas, but I guess I was wrong.
I really wasn't watching the clock for receipt of my license, but I can tell you that I've been very displeased with DPS recently in the context of just changing a drivers license class. I was given 2 written tests that I didn't need to take (after disputing and forcing people to call supervisors). And we've got entire DPS offices (Marble Falls) that simply don't answer the phone and have no means to leave a message. Calling the DPS "main number" results in information that changes depending on who you talk to...

I don't know if it's under-funding, general incompetence, or under-staffing, but it's frustrating. My guess is that most of us deal with them so infrequently that we don't make a stink about it.

Improvements that I have seen: On-line scheduling at some facilities (appears to only work sometimes) and a means of waiting in line via text message, so you don't waste the entire day there...

I'd like to see DPS improve also, but I'm not sure it's my #1 priority for state government.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

cb1000rider wrote:
Prankster707 wrote: It seems that the Texas DPS in Austin is either understaffed, staffed by incompetent employees or is just in need of a plain, good ole overhaul. I've seen posts on here of people calling and being told that they didn't send in their CHL-100, or the email team had "forgotten" to send their documents over to the licensing people, among other completely ridiculous and preventable measures. I'm not sure about you, but this is completely unacceptable for any business, organization or government entity to do. I had foolishly expected better out of the great state of Texas, but I guess I was wrong.
I really wasn't watching the clock for receipt of my license, but I can tell you that I've been very displeased with DPS recently in the context of just changing a drivers license class. I was given 2 written tests that I didn't need to take (after disputing and forcing people to call supervisors). And we've got entire DPS offices (Marble Falls) that simply don't answer the phone and have no means to leave a message. Calling the DPS "main number" results in information that changes depending on who you talk to...

I don't know if it's under-funding, general incompetence, or under-staffing, but it's frustrating. My guess is that most of us deal with them so infrequently that we don't make a stink about it.

Improvements that I have seen: On-line scheduling at some facilities (appears to only work sometimes) and a means of waiting in line via text message, so you don't waste the entire day there...

I'd like to see DPS improve also, but I'm not sure it's my #1 priority for state government.
One of my kids just got their drivers license a few months ago. We scheduled on line for a driving exam slot at the Fort Worth "mega center" (yes, they call it that). We were called in to a processing desk within 5 minutes of arrival, our paperwork was processed quickly but unfortunately I had forgotten to bring a certificate that I didn't know I needed. My fault entirely. One of the agents was nice enough to help me track down what I was missing. I was able to forward it to her email (I had it on my email but forgot to print it) and she printed it for me on the spot, saving me the hassle of rescheduling and, more importantly, the ire of a child that would have been sorely disappointed that her father flubbed the paperwork.

I suppose it could be location specific, but from my recent experiences with DPS (CHL and DL) I'd rate them at least a 9 out of 10 for customer service.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “DPS Updates”