Keep up to date on DPS changes impacting CHL instructors and licensees

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

DPS Email Re: processing times

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here is a copy of an email that DPS sent to everyone with a pending LTC application.

Chas.
DPS Email wrote:Due to a large increase in Handgun License applications, Customer Service Representatives are temporarily assisting in processing applications. At this time, we are diligently working applications to process within statutory mandates.

Prior to and after HB 910 (Open Carry) took effect, DPS received approximately 136,000 Handgun License application payments compared to approximately 57,000 over the same time period last year (a 139% increase).

In anticipation of the increased application volume, DPS has proactively implemented measures to ensure compliance with the statutory processing time frames for original and renewal applications. Outlined below are the steps the Agency is taking to process the increased volume:
1) Authorized overtime for DPS Regulatory Services Division (RSD) staff, extended work hours and implemented additional shifts seven days a week.
2) Reassigned RSD Customer Service Representatives to Licensing on a temporary basis to process applications.
3) Hired temporary staff to assist RSD in processing LTC applications.
4) DPS has also initiated an overtime project involving multiple divisions outside of RSD to assist in processing the influx of applications. This effort has resulted in additional employees (working multiple shifts, seven days a week) assisting with LTC processing (outside of their regular work schedules).

By statute, DPS has up to 60 days to issue an original LTC, and 45 days to issue a renewal license. However, it is imperative that applicants understand that these time periods are calculated from the time a fully-completed application AND supporting documents are received by the department. In the event more information or documents are required to complete an application, DPS has an additional 180 days to complete the review process.

More information on this increase and the LTC application process is available at the DPS website under the following link: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/a ... minder.htm

RoyGBiv

Re: DPS Email Re: processing times

Post by RoyGBiv »

Can we send those folks some donuts and coffee? Lots of coffee.

Nearly 2.5x increase in applications is a lot to swallow.

Dear DPS..... THANKS!

Good communication from them as well...
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Thank you for the update.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

joe817

Post by joe817 »

RoyGBiv wrote:Can we send those folks some donuts and coffee? Lots of coffee.

Nearly 2.5x increase in applications is a lot to swallow.

Dear DPS..... THANKS! Good communication from them as well...
Absolutely! I agree!

DPS....thank you for all of your hard work!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

CHL/LTC makes new jobs, take that Mr. Bloomberg and Mrs. Clinton.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

10Shooter

Post by 10Shooter »

Dear DPS. THANKS!!

All the extra efforts are working.
Paid renewal 3/25
Received LTC 5/16
NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol & Shotgun Instructor, NRA Certified RSO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member

Jet Noise, the Sound of Freedom!!

FJRider

Post by FJRider »

My hat is off to them I applied and a week latter took my class on Sat. Finger printed on Mon. Submitted my scanned 100 form late on Tues. Received my LTC in the mail on Sat. 18 days latter. It might have helped me that I had been fingerprinted for something else less than 2 months ago but it was 4 weeks from filling out my forms on line to receiving my LTC in has last Sat.

DuaneB

Post by DuaneB »

The wait times have evidently decreased significantly. I received my email on 1/21/2016 and received my license 13 weeks later to the day. Two factors that potentially impacted processing time: (1) new application, not a renewal and (2) veteran status with DD-214 attached. I knew it would be a wait based on the updates I would get from my instructor so I didn't send any status requests as this would have just added to an already overloaded system.

Ditto on kudos to the DPS. I am continually impressed by the courteous professionalism of everyone I meet in their organization.

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I received my email confirmation on June 29th, my licence arrived on September 2nd, so 9 weeks and 2 days. I was not asked for any additional information during that time. Although additional factors to be considered are, I am not a US citizen and have only been resident in the US for 3 years.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

My wife and I renewed our CHL to our LTC last month. Return time was about 3 weeks. The on line renewal time is a big improvement. Easy and fast.
Skip Bishop

mgood

Post by mgood »

I submitted my renewal application on August 28th. I haven't heard anything from them. :waiting:
Starting to worry if it fell through the cracks somewhere. I do have the receipt I printed out.

EDIT: Nevermind. I posted that yesterday. It came in the mail today. :roll:

Return to “DPS Updates”