My bank was robbed again-posted no guns

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My bank was robbed again-posted no guns

Post by NotRPB »

If it were me:

I'd not bank at anywhere posting 30.06/30.07 signs and I'd explain to them I feel unsafe in places posting such advertising signs for criminals that it's an easy place to rob since no one could shoot back...
and I'd ask why they put up signs allowing criminals to carry and not background checked law abiding trained citizens...
and I'd ask why they only posted signs to prohibit law abiding, trained, background checked, licensed handgun licensee citizens from carrying their handguns for self-protection while allowing anyone, licensed or not, to carry a concealed rifle like the one concealed in my briefcase on your desk here since you have no sign prohibiting that.... so please close my account and I'll be leaving your unsafe premises ASAP, thank you.

:tiphat:

Well, really I'd say it and NOT disclose my concealed rifle, (until I'm on my way out... if at all) but it'd be tempting ;-)
joe817 wrote:
Jusme wrote:If they are still posted 30.06 you can't legally carry there. I would definitely look for another bank. They haven't gotten the message that criminals don't obey their signs, and that it only makes them more of a target. JMHO
:iagree: completely. I would readily sacrifice "convenience", for the safety of a bank that has no signs posted.
:iagree:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Unless I have absolutely no other choice, I never go into any location that puts up a "ROB US!" sign.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

I have never been to a bank where you have to be "buzzed in" to enter. Must really be a bad bad location. I do have one local bank in my city (they have no signage) and do almost all of my banking on line at multiple banks and rarely have to go to a bank. When I do I use the drive through. If you had military service I suggest USAA banking (all of their products are great). Great online service. Their insurance can't be beat.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Here's my bank.
https://home.capitalone360.com/

I never go there, because there's no there, there.

Easy everything online. Deposit checks with my mobile phone up to some crazy limit I don't have to worry about.
Cash at any Allpoints machine for no charge. There are millions of them around everywhere, including where I buy groceries.

Problem solved?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rotor

Post by rotor »

RoyGBiv wrote:Here's my bank.
https://home.capitalone360.com/

I never go there, because there's no there, there.

Easy everything online. Deposit checks with my mobile phone up to some crazy limit I don't have to worry about.
Cash at any Allpoints machine for no charge. There are millions of them around everywhere, including where I buy groceries.

Problem solved?
I agree. I use them as well.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

rotor wrote:I have never been to a bank where you have to be "buzzed in" to enter. Must really be a bad bad location. I do have one local bank in my city (they have no signage) and do almost all of my banking on line at multiple banks and rarely have to go to a bank. When I do I use the drive through. If you had military service I suggest USAA banking (all of their products are great). Great online service. Their insurance can't be beat.
Here is a link to real estate for sale in the same zip code. http://www.har.com/zipcode_77006/realestate/for_sale The million plus condos are being built a block away from the bank. The University of St. Thomas is across the street.

I'm too set in my ways to on line bank.

I'm going to write a letter and recommend they allow all carry with the welcome sign as suggested.

America as I knew it is a changing. Nice areas are seeing crime. I earlier posted about a nursing mother being robbed right in the Galleria. Here is a pharmacy robbery from a few days ago that was about a mile away from the bank robbery.

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/3-arrest ... e/95342416

rotor

Post by rotor »

philip964 wrote:
rotor wrote:I have never been to a bank where you have to be "buzzed in" to enter. Must really be a bad bad location. I do have one local bank in my city (they have no signage) and do almost all of my banking on line at multiple banks and rarely have to go to a bank. When I do I use the drive through. If you had military service I suggest USAA banking (all of their products are great). Great online service. Their insurance can't be beat.
Here is a link to real estate for sale in the same zip code. http://www.har.com/zipcode_77006/realestate/for_sale The million plus condos are being built a block away from the bank. The University of St. Thomas is across the street.

I'm too set in my ways to on line bank.

I'm going to write a letter and recommend they allow all carry with the welcome sign as suggested.

America as I knew it is a changing. Nice areas are seeing crime. I earlier posted about a nursing mother being robbed right in the Galleria. Here is a pharmacy robbery from a few days ago that was about a mile away from the bank robbery.

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/3-arrest ... e/95342416
I am really surprised but I don't live in a big city anymore. If you can post to this website though you can bank online and it is a great convenience. The reason we all carry now is because America is changing.

GlassG19
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GlassG19 »

timdsmith72 wrote:
joe817 wrote: :iagree: completely. I would readily sacrifice "convenience", for the safety of a bank that has no signs posted.
:iagree: This right here.
:iagree: also with Tim too.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

Yes our world is changing and not all for the good. My bank is a single location, small community bank. Been with them 34 years. If I wanted to purchase a car I simply called my loan officer, the bank president, and let him know what I was buying and from where, usually a local dealer and he would tell me to just write them a check and come by the bank when I got a chance to sign all the loan papers. He retired 4 years ago and they don't do things that way anymore. I have only been in there one time since then. I still bank there, they hold the mortgage on our home, but all my financial transactions are online including paying bills. I can deposit checks, pay bills and move money using my iPhone. I figure what the heck, our money is imaginary anyway may as well use it in as easy a fashion as possible. Oh BTW, my bank has no 30.06 or 30.07 signs posted.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

If each bank teller had an AR15 strapped across their back, I wonder if the robbery rate would decrease a smidgen?

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/hpd-2 ... nk-robbery

They showed photos of the two bank robbers. At my bank robbery the two men were wearing ski masks with gloves and scarves to cover their necks. I suspected they may have had tattoos. They were unidentifiable. All that extra clothing was left right outside the bank.

Here the men's faces are fully exposed. From the story they may not have "brandished" firearms. I can see the problem a person might have not pushing the button to let them in. You would be accused of being a racist for not opening the door.

I suspect these guys will be caught, the photos are too good.

Haas

Post by Haas »

Time to start using the drive thru or online banking. No reason to put yourself in danger when the bank has proven they are unable to protect themselves or their customers.

My $0.02
:txflag: I love this place

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

If your bank isn't taking appropriate action to mitigate the threat, it's time to find a new bank. Even with my LTC, I wouldn't bank somewhere where I felt there was an increased risk of robbery because of previous history. I sure as heck wouldn't bank at a place that posted a 30.06 sign, even an invalid one that I could technically carry past. Not because of the lack of legality of the sign, but because it would sway others from carrying there as well, and I wouldn't want to be the only person (legally) armed if something ever happened. Not to mention that criminals just see a "no guns" sign and they will consider it a target - valid sign or not.

As Haas said, drive thru is another option, but be weary of jugging. That's where someone follows you home from the bank, ATM, or store to rob or burgle you when you park or after you leave your belongings in the car.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

mr1337 wrote:If your bank isn't taking appropriate action to mitigate the threat, it's time to find a new bank. Even with my LTC, I wouldn't bank somewhere where I felt there was an increased risk of robbery because of previous history. I sure as heck wouldn't bank at a place that posted a 30.06 sign, even an invalid one that I could technically carry past. Not because of the lack of legality of the sign, but because it would sway others from carrying there as well, and I wouldn't want to be the only person (legally) armed if something ever happened. Not to mention that criminals just see a "no guns" sign and they will consider it a target - valid sign or not.

As Haas said, drive thru is another option, but be weary of jugging. That's where someone follows you home from the bank, ATM, or store to rob or burgle you when you park or after you leave your belongings in the car.
I was jugged 8 months ago when I left a different bank on Kirby with a small envelope in my hand. The envelope contained $200 in cash for my wife. She likes 20's so when asked about an envelope I said yes.

Never leave a bank with an envelope in your hand.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote:
mr1337 wrote:If your bank isn't taking appropriate action to mitigate the threat, it's time to find a new bank. Even with my LTC, I wouldn't bank somewhere where I felt there was an increased risk of robbery because of previous history. I sure as heck wouldn't bank at a place that posted a 30.06 sign, even an invalid one that I could technically carry past. Not because of the lack of legality of the sign, but because it would sway others from carrying there as well, and I wouldn't want to be the only person (legally) armed if something ever happened. Not to mention that criminals just see a "no guns" sign and they will consider it a target - valid sign or not.

I was jugged 8 months ago when I left a different bank on Kirby with a small envelope in my hand. The envelope contained $200 in cash for my wife. She likes 20's so when asked about an envelope I said yes.

Never leave a bank with an envelope in your hand.
Did you have a sign on your back? :roll:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”