Church shooting Charleston SC

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Church shooting Charleston SC

Post by Middle Age Russ »

We are on a forum created for the purpose of discussing concealed carry and related topics judging by its name alone. Given that this event happened in a de-facto gun-free (for law abiding citizens) zone, it seems natural and appropriate to comment on other potential results under other sets of rules. Further, it seems natural and appropriate that even an NRA Director and host of the site would comment on it. The nature of the comment that I've seen from long time members here did not seem to blame the victims for getting themselves killed. Rather, these comments point out that under different laws there might be other, perhaps less tragic, outcomes, and it is wrong to make any individual with the God-given right to defend themselves a defenseless victim by law.

Why do some people/groups seem to feel that they know what is best for everyone else to the point that they won't tolerate any other viewpoint? I/we advocate only that it is wrong to enact laws which inhibit any person's ability to protect ourselves against an attack with whatever tools we feel warranted to prevail over the attacker. Evil exists in this world and the threat of a violent attack can and does occur, often when least expected. We recognize this and hope that our choices will help us prevent harm to ourselves and others. That IN NO WAY equates to advocating for the ability to attack someone unprovoked, something good laws forbid. It also IN NO WAY means that we want every person armed -- there are indeed people whose actions prove them a risk to others whether armed or not, and there are plenty of good people who can and should be able to choose not to be armed.

Abhorrence of violence is a common thread wherever on the spectrum your political identity lies. Something Col. Jeff Cooper wrote resonates with me, as someone who is protective of the lives of myself and those I hold dear. It is, "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear his victim."
Last edited by Middle Age Russ on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

RonW956
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RonW956 »

AndyC wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
rp_photo wrote:I just read that he had a pending Felony. Wouldn't that make it illegal for him to posess a gun?
Until his conviction he is an accused not a felon
Surely the form 4473 for his background-check would have disqualified him?

[ Image ]

The newsmedia is reporting that his father bought him the pistol as a gift....

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RoyGBiv »

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Time after time, we see that these killers tell us they pick soft targets. With just two exceptions, from at least 1950, all the mass public shootings have occurred in these gun-free zones. From last summer’s mass public killers in Santa Barbara and Canada, to the Aurora movie theater shooter, these killers made it abundantly clear in their diaries or on Facebook how they avoided targets where people with guns could stop them.
ETA:

And this too...

No, Dylann Roof Didn't Arm Himself Through a 'Legal Loophole'
Horrendous crimes understandably spur people to find a solution. But if preventing them were as simple as passing one more law, we would probably have perfected the world a long time ago.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

VMI77
Posts in topic: 13

Post by VMI77 »

AndyC wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
rp_photo wrote:I just read that he had a pending Felony. Wouldn't that make it illegal for him to posess a gun?

[ Image ]

Supposedly the gun was a birthday gift from his father.....see where that's going?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

ShepherdTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ShepherdTX »

jmra wrote:It's pretty funny that a new member shows up defending Mike right after Mike gets booted. Lots of trolls today or maybe just one.
This might explain all that

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome Shannon Watts and her merry moms to the Forum.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 13

Post by VMI77 »

AndyC wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
AndyC wrote:
Beiruty wrote:

[ Image ]

Supposedly the gun was a birthday gift from his father.....see where that's going?
Oh, I sure do. I've heard both possibilities - and if Dad did indeed bought a gun for someone who was under investigation, he's in a world of hurt.
This article says that birthday narrative is misleading: http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/06 ... -it-video/
Justin Meek, a friend of Charleston shooter Dylann Storm Roof, spoke with Greta Van Susteren tonight. He told Greta that Dyllan took the gun from his mother that he used in the mass murder. He said Dyllan’s mom didn’t trust him with it so she took it away.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

just heard on radio he was given money as a gift and he bought the gun.

Edit to add: in the wise words of the queen " At this point does it really matter"
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jim Beaux »

This hurts.
Dylann Roof Reportedly Almost Didn't Go Through With Church Shooting Because 'Everyone Was So Nice To Him'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/1 ... mg00000067
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Jim Beaux wrote:This hurts.
Dylann Roof Reportedly Almost Didn't Go Through With Church Shooting Because 'Everyone Was So Nice To Him'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/1 ... mg00000067
The comments are ...... Scary.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

AndyC wrote:Oh, man.

I'd happily strangle this kid myself.
21 isn't a kid. This man knew EXACTLY what he was doing. There's mentally ill and there's just plain evil. I believe this guy is the later.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 11

Post by baldeagle »

ShepherdTX wrote:
jmra wrote:It's pretty funny that a new member shows up defending Mike right after Mike gets booted. Lots of trolls today or maybe just one.
This might explain all that

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome Shannon Watts and her merry moms to the Forum.
They won't last long on this forum. Decorum and civility are not their long suits. Neither is truth.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 11

Post by baldeagle »

More information coming out. The cretin wanted to start a race war.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”