Moscow Idaho knife murders of 4 students

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Moscow Idaho knife murders of 4 students

Post by philip964 »

So it’s been a while since this happened.

Not gun related, self defense related, but no posts here.

Initially police were being blamed for botching the investigation in this horrific crime. Very odd crime, lots of unusual circumstances. Roommate not calling 911 for 8 hours. No initial suspects, no real motive other than murdering 3 pretty young women and a boyfriend.

Then suddenly they have their killer. No discussion of he’s a suspect or a person of interest, he’s the killer.

DNA linking him to the crime, same car seen multiple time in the area, cell phone records. No motive yet, kind of an eyewitness, bushy eyebrows, tall. Touch DNA on a knife shied found at the scene. All the evidence circumstantial, except maybe the DNA.

But they have the guy. Trailed all across the US to PEnnsylvania where he is arrested after dads DNA tested.

A few weeks after the murder a guy in the next town Pullman where the guilty murderer lives is killed by SWAT after threatening his room mates. Fired his gun a few times. It almost went without notice in the MSM.

https://www.khq.com/news/man-killed-dur ... 6ce5c.html

So what if I said that they were friends. Both drug addicts.

And they went to Moscow regularly to buy and use drugs there.

The attachment has an anonymous post by a guy who says he is a relative.

Anyway, the odd tragic crime, every parents worst nightmare gets even more odd.
Attachments
E9E7B74A-3B53-4048-8BFF-C169E0DE1A70.jpeg

jb2012

Re: Moscow Idaho knife murders of 4 students

Post by jb2012 »

I'm guessing that is fake.... why did Bryan's phone ping towers that triangulate his location there 12 times in the months leading up? Did his security guard "friend" also look just like Bryan? Because in the PCA, the surviving roommate saw the killer, and described Bryan's body type and bushy eyebrows. Why wasn't the security guard's DNA on the knife sheath? This screams fake imo. I've been invested in this case, because I lived in a house in college with similar arrangements, and it really struck a nerve with me.

Unfortunately due to a gag order, the PCA is all that we have to work with until this goes to trial.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

jb2012 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:31 am I'm guessing that is fake.... why did Bryan's phone ping towers that triangulate his location there 12 times in the months leading up? Did his security guard "friend" also look just like Bryan? Because in the PCA, the surviving roommate saw the killer, and described Bryan's body type and bushy eyebrows. Why wasn't the security guard's DNA on the knife sheath? This screams fake imo. I've been invested in this case, because I lived in a house in college with similar arrangements, and it really struck a nerve with me.

Unfortunately due to a gag order, the PCA is all that we have to work with until this goes to trial.
My story is not near s gruesome as this particular case but when my son attended UTA, in his second year he talked me into paying 650 a month for an apartment. He had lived in a huge dorm. until then. He chose the apartment himself and I agreed. Well two months after he started living there a student in the apartment on the back side of the wall of his apartment was found dead in apartment, shot in the back of his head. Turns out the kid was messing with some local Austin gangs, selling drugs he got from the gangs. He owed money, they killed him for it. But before the cops figured this out, it looked totally random. I went down to Austin and moved him out of there. The place was a absolute dive but several students rented due to price. I had never seen it before this. There was gang tagging all over the garbage dumpster, on the walls, everywhere. Moved him to nicer place after seeing this. Scared me, especially when they thought it was random.

While there for two days moving him to new place, I saw the frat dorms and the shenanigans occurring at them. I saw literally hundreds of students strolling around drunk as Coody Brown, roaming in and out and all over this "frat house area". Totally out of control and completely lacking any kind of security to know who was coming and going. My point is, I am surprised we don't hear more stories of killings on college campus areas. They are target rich environments. There have been stories circulating that at the apartment the November stabbings occurred, there were many parties and doors were often unlocked with easy access for anyone who wanted in. Just like those frat houses I witnessed almost 18 years ago. I never did college so I had no idea these places were bastions of hedonism...LOL. Most of these kids are away from home for the first time in their lives and act absolutely oblivious to the real world.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

jb2012 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:31 am I'm guessing that is fake.... why did Bryan's phone ping towers that triangulate his location there 12 times in the months leading up? Did his security guard "friend" also look just like Bryan? Because in the PCA, the surviving roommate saw the killer, and described Bryan's body type and bushy eyebrows. Why wasn't the security guard's DNA on the knife sheath? This screams fake imo. I've been invested in this case, because I lived in a house in college with similar arrangements, and it really struck a nerve with me.

I think the post is not a fake, just a family member believing the suspect's story and excuses. Having said that, I can think of several answers to your questions. The cell phone towers are the most easily explained. It doesn't work the way most people think. cell phones do not always ping the nearest tower and may hit more than one tower at any one location. Also, the towers do not get a directional signal, just a ping from within the radius it can it. If they had it ping three towers, the area they say is triangulated is just the overlapping area of a giant Venn diagram. And since it wasn't at the same time, it really proves he was in Moscow but that is all. And if he had a friend he was doing drugs with, it would not surprise me he was in that same area multiple times.

Think about the description given - a tall slender man with bushy eyebrows. That is not a very specific description and narrows the possible suspect down to only about 25% of the population, maybe. Also, the part about tall is very relative - if she is 5 feet tall, a 5'10" guy might be tall, while if she is 5'8", it might mean a 6 foot tall. Same for slender. And that is without all the studies showing eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable, especially when shocked or scared.

The other suspect's DNA was not found on the sheath because what they found was on the snap. It is much harder to get touch DNA from a rough surface like leather than a smooth hard surface like the metal snap. Also, I am guessing that they did not find other DNA or fingerprints because the suspect wore gloves. I find it hard to believe he wore a ski mask to break in and did not wear gloves. That would make no sense to me.

I think the police probably have the right suspect. I also think they handled this well by not releasing a lot of information to the public while investigating. That must have been hard on them with the public in today's society, but it is the right way to handle an investigation. The biggest thing I think they have that they did not release is the real motive for the crime. Everything I have read screams out that this was planned, not just a random thing. And I bet the police have more physical evidence than they have released also. It would not surprise me if the police asked for the gag order on the case. As a professional, I admire the way they handled a major crime with national news media attention, especially for a small town department.
Steve Rothstein

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

srothstein wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:02 pm

I think the post is not a fake, just a family member believing the suspect's story and excuses. Having said that, I can think of several answers to your questions. The cell phone towers are the most easily explained. It doesn't work the way most people think. cell phones do not always ping the nearest tower and may hit more than one tower at any one location. Also, the towers do not get a directional signal, just a ping from within the radius it can it. If they had it ping three towers, the area they say is triangulated is just the overlapping area of a giant Venn diagram. And since it wasn't at the same time, it really proves he was in Moscow but that is all. And if he had a friend he was doing drugs with, it would not surprise me he was in that same area multiple times.

Think about the description given - a tall slender man with bushy eyebrows. That is not a very specific description and narrows the possible suspect down to only about 25% of the population, maybe. Also, the part about tall is very relative - if she is 5 feet tall, a 5'10" guy might be tall, while if she is 5'8", it might mean a 6 foot tall. Same for slender. And that is without all the studies showing eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable, especially when shocked or scared.

The other suspect's DNA was not found on the sheath because what they found was on the snap. It is much harder to get touch DNA from a rough surface like leather than a smooth hard surface like the metal snap. Also, I am guessing that they did not find other DNA or fingerprints because the suspect wore gloves. I find it hard to believe he wore a ski mask to break in and did not wear gloves. That would make no sense to me.

I think the police probably have the right suspect. I also think they handled this well by not releasing a lot of information to the public while investigating. That must have been hard on them with the public in today's society, but it is the right way to handle an investigation. The biggest thing I think they have that they did not release is the real motive for the crime. Everything I have read screams out that this was planned, not just a random thing. And I bet the police have more physical evidence than they have released also. It would not surprise me if the police asked for the gag order on the case. As a professional, I admire the way they handled a major crime with national news media attention, especially for a small town department.
I mean I agree with you on nearly all points, however it's the totality of the evidence that really pins him on this one. Each one being circumstantial, will inevitably be picked at by the defense. However, it will be tough to argue every one of these together, not to mention the also inevitable MOUND of evidence that we know nothing about. Couple this with the fact that people are starving for attention, on or offline, I find it hard to believe a goofy post like that was actually written and published by a family member. Who knows though.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

All it takes is reasonable doubt.

Blaming it on a dead guy who was violent and he dropped off in the area is brilliant.

He could have snuck into the dead guys place and planted a lot of his DNA there, he could have hidden a flask of whiskey hidden with his finger prints on it, said it was his private stash. Found when his attorney requests a search.

The two most horrific crimes in the history for the area, and he is saying they are linked, would make sense to a jury.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:56 pm All it takes is reasonable doubt.

Blaming it on a dead guy who was violent and he dropped off in the area is brilliant.

He could have snuck into the dead guys place and planted a lot of his DNA there, he could have hidden a flask of whiskey hidden with his finger prints on it, said it was his private stash. Found when his attorney requests a search.

The two most horrific crimes in the history for the area, and he is saying they are linked, would make sense to a jury.
The last thing that guy would want if one of those girls were my daughter, would be to get out of jail. I can promise it would not be quick and would be very painful. Forum decorum prevents me from getting too graphic but let me just say, at 62, something like this would push me right over the edge and going to prison would suddenly mean nothing to me. It would be worth it.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”