TN: don’t tell police you closed your eyes when returning fire from robbers at night

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

TN: don’t tell police you closed your eyes when returning fire from robbers at night

Post by philip964 »

Tennessee man charged with felony reckless endangerment after returning fire on armed auto thieves

https://www.foxnews.com/us/tennessee-ma ... to-thieves

Note to self: Turn off the porch light when you step out side to confront armed robbers trying to steal your van.

C-dub

Re: TN: don’t tell police you closed your eyes when returning fire from robbers at night

Post by C-dub »

I saw this yesterday and thought the same thing. However, if he couldn’t see his target he shouldn’t have been shooting at them anyway. I don’t know the surroundings, so he could have been shooting into his neighbors houses.

The article headline made it sound like he was arrested for defending his property and life. Very misleading.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
philip964

Re: TN: don’t tell police you closed your eyes when returning fire from robbers at night

Post by philip964 »

C-dub wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:00 am I saw this yesterday and thought the same thing. However, if he couldn’t see his target he shouldn’t have been shooting at them anyway. I don’t know the surroundings, so he could have been shooting into his neighbors houses.

The article headline made it sound like he was arrested for defending his property and life. Very misleading.
He may have been firing to suppress the fire he was taking standing at his lit porch.

When an innocent amateur is placed in a life threatening spit second situation by criminals it seems unfair to armchair quarter back his decisions after the fact.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:31 pm
C-dub wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:00 am I saw this yesterday and thought the same thing. However, if he couldn’t see his target he shouldn’t have been shooting at them anyway. I don’t know the surroundings, so he could have been shooting into his neighbors houses.

He may have been firing to suppress the fire he was taking standing at his lit porch.

When an innocent amateur is placed in a life threatening spit second situation by criminals it seems unfair to armchair quarter back his decisions after the fact.
One of the first rules anyone who hunts MUST obey is to ALWAYS be sure of identifying the animal you are targeting and what is behind the animal you are shooting at. I would think the same applies to shooting in self defense. No matter how "frightened" or "excited" we are, we must NEVER risk shooting an unintended bystander. If the man was firing wildly into the night and failing to see what he was firing at, he should not be in possession of a firearm. The charges filed on him are highly appropriate if the situation is as described.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:31 pm

I think suppressive fire is appropriate when there isn’t someone or something behind your target you aren’t willing to risk hitting. Without knowing that I could be wrong and these charges might be irrelevant. Where I live and in most neighborhoods, his actions would be dangerous and reckless and charges would be appropriate under those circumstances.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “The Crime Blotter”