HIgh Tech South American gangs breaking into expensive homes

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

HIgh Tech South American gangs breaking into expensive homes

Post by philip964 »

https://abc7chicago.com/house-burglary- ... /14152807/

Well trained, all in black, professional gangs from South America, using wifi jammers to defeat alarm systems.

40 homes in Detroit area have been hit in addition to other parts of the country. In and out very quickly.

Paladin

Re: HIgh Tech South American gangs breaking into expensive homes

Post by Paladin »

Interesting.

Having an alarm and a alarm sign is always good, but physical security layers are important as well.

I use Medeco locks, but it looks like those guys when straight through the safety glass. Obviously all glass, safety glass doors are an invitation to burglary.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bbhack »

They could likely disable your internet without wifi jamming. When crime is a business and not a smash and grab to get a fix, we will see many weaknesses in our approaches to personal security. Fortunately, not being rich is a good start to not being a target.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Crash

Post by Crash »

How about a couple of Rottweilers or Doberman Pinschers?

Crash

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Crash wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:06 pm How about a couple of Rottweilers or Doberman Pinschers?

Crash
My daughter took care of a Rottweiler and a Shitz tzu while a couple was on vacation.

After the introduction and instructions, she asked for a key. They said you won't need a key. We do not lock our doors.

They explained that locking the doors was totally unnecessary.

Their postman delivered their mail to the neighbor across the street.

The Rottweiler enjoyed his back being scratched. He had an annoying habit of heading straight for your junk, then at the last moment ducking and squeezing between you legs for the whole length of his body. You of course complied with his every desire, without question. Happy to be his buddy.

Apparently Belgian Malinois is the new "in" dog.

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

That mirrors what the HPD officer told us years ago after someone broke into our house. Essentially, don't bother with the alarm as the police response would only be in time to write the report for insurance. Save the monitoring money and get an alarm sign and a decent sized dog. The dog's presence and bark will invite most to target an easier place. The small percentage who ignore the dog....those are the ones that won't be deterred by anything anyway.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

There have been some very interesting studies on what will deter a criminal. Visible signs of an alarm (especially the alarm junction box, but just a sign works) are high on the list, as are dogs. The funny thing is that what actually works best is something we all try to avoid - the nosy neighbor. One study I read showed that the odds of being burglarized drop significantly when the burglars see a neighbor watching them, and even more if the neighbor makes some sign they might intervene, like coming out and yelling.
Steve Rothstein

Crash

Post by Crash »

The reason I suggested two dogs is because I read an article written by a former professional burglar. He stated that one dog wouldn't stop him from burglarizing a home, but two would.

Crash

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

srothstein wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:56 pm There have been some very interesting studies on what will deter a criminal. Visible signs of an alarm (especially the alarm junction box, but just a sign works) are high on the list, as are dogs. The funny thing is that what actually works best is something we all try to avoid - the nosy neighbor. One study I read showed that the odds of being burglarized drop significantly when the burglars see a neighbor watching them, and even more if the neighbor makes some sign they might intervene, like coming out and yelling.
:cheers2:

A guy in the insurance business said in his career he never once had a burglary claim by a homeowner with BOTH a large dog and an alarm. Layered security works.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

another option is to make you house look like you dont have anything worth stealing

but dogs and great locks and windows up high are a great start.

thanks open borders .
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

philip964 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:29 pm Apparently Belgian Malinois is the new "in" dog.
I think I'll put up a new sign on my house: "Beware the two, genetically engineered, highly trained, Belgian Malinois guard dogs."

“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I remember my mother answering the door with a single action revolver and our GSD. The guy at the door begged her not to let the dog go. When the police picked him up he swore my mother didn't have a gun, just a big scary dog that wanted to get him. All the dog did was growl at the guy. Dogs are a great deterrent, the least aggressive GSD I have is a coward or a extremely friendly depending on how recently he took his seizure meds (about an hour after taking them he becomes a coward for an hour or two) yet people are terrified of them even though the only danger from him is a viscous cuddle session.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “The Crime Blotter”