Don’t have bank apps on your phone

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Don’t have bank apps on your phone

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/man-robbing-peop ... 21615.html

Chicago man robbing people of credit cards money and cell phone then using their bank apps to steal more money.

Important note: the man used a black gun.

Not sure how he gets by the face app to open the phone.

OneGun

Re: Don’t have bank apps on your phone

Post by OneGun »

I protect myself against this situation by never staying logged into my bank apps. I use a password manager that requires two-factor authentication and very long complex password and two-factor authentic authentication for my banking apps. Stealing my cell phone will not get you any money.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Jose_in_Dallas

Re: Don’t have bank apps on your phone

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

As always, situational awareness is your friend. I won't go as far as to not have banking apps on my phone. Not sure how two-factor will help if that second factor is going to your phone via text message or email. Who doesn't have their email available on their smart phone? Safest bet is to get a non smart phone if you are that worried. I'm hedging that most people on this site will be safe from the above mentioned situation and the more likely scenario is that you will more like lose your phone rather than it gets stolen from you at gun point. Or more than likely, you get robbed at gun point and forced to go to an ATM to withdraw money. Heck, what's happened to me 2 or 3 times in the past 20 years is my account gets hacked and I had to get a new card/bank account.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”