submachine gun

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 6

Re: submachine gun

Post by A-R »

cbr600 wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:Reporters and editors MUST as a responsibility of their jobs have the general knowledge to question the veracity of a statement like "convenience store robbed by man with submachine gun"
It's not likely a submachine gun would be used in a robbery. It's also not likely a criminal would use a Jaguar as a getaway car. However, if the police say the suspect fled in a silver Jaguar, do reporters and editors have a responsibility to verify the make and color of the vehicle? Are the reporters also supposed to verify that it was a man (not a legal "child") who robbed the store? When can they, in your opinion, report what someone else says? It seems to me that unless they witnessed the crime, they have to report the event according to someone else, whether that's the police, the victim, or other witnesses.
There are two ways to go about this:

1. Verify the facts before you report them, or
2. Couch the specifics in the initial report until you verify them

The article states that a submachine gun was used. Period. No qualification. The paper did not have enough facts, even if police used the term "submachine gun", to report this as unequivocal fact. This is why in the good ol' days of news, when facts were more important than sensationalism, you would often see the word "alleged" as a qualifying factor before a statement of fact was written. Even better were reporters who could write a narrative in which all statements of fact were attributed to named sources. And facts from those sources that were in dispute or questionable were not reported until they could be verified.

Where each paper draws the line on this is subjective. In reference to your particular examples, the make and color of a car are more easily recognizable by the average person than whether a gun is a submachine gun, a semi-auto carbine, or an airsoft toy. But you'll often see "silver sedan" instead of "silver Jaguar" if the make can't be verified. Or at the least you'll see "witnesses reporting seeing a silver Jaguar". If this news brief had said "the victim/witness said the gun was a submachine gun", I'd have less problem with it because it is not written as a fact of the story, but merely as the recollection of an eyewitness - a much narrower and less concrete element of a story than a written statement of fact.

As for the adults vs. child description, again this can be easily couched by stating "male suspect" - doesn't differentiate between a child or adult. Adding in dark skinned, approximately 5-9, appoximately 30 or 40 years old further explains possible details without stating unequivocally that the suspect is a 5-9, 125 pound Mexican-American 26 year old.

But "male suspect" and "grey sedan" and "a gun" aren't nearly as sexy in a headline as "black man" or "silver Jaguar" or "submachine gun" ... too much "puffery" and writing "style" has replaced solid reporting and factual articles as newspapers continually compete with ever evolving and improved alternative media - radio, then TV, and now the internet. Reporters quickly learn that "just the facts, ma'am" doesn't cut it anymore when they get that first assignment on the cop beat at the big city newspaper. Their leads have to be "catchy", they need a "theme" to each article - much like an opinion or fiction writer.

This two-paragraph news brief could have easily been easily been written to merely state a man with a gun robbed a convenience store. But then it wouldn't be the lead item would it? Because such things happen frequently. The "fact" that the robby was committed by a man with a "submachine gun" makes it sexy enough to lead the police blotter. In fact, without the "submachine gun" angle, this little news nugget likely would not have made it into the paper at all.

And that, my friends, is manufacturing news instead of reporting it.

5thGenTexan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 5thGenTexan »

AR the problem is there are not that many "real" journalists in the news business anymore. They are mainly biased reporters of half truths. A real old fashioned journalist used to get out and spend time digging out facts working sources they had scattered around the area and then typing up their stories.

Todays bunch are simply content to take the angle the editor wants, accept the spoon fed snippets that provides the desired slant, provide notes back to a writer who cleans up the edges for instant processing to the web or the pretty face at the news desk to read. The thought that journalism is work has never crossed their collective minds.

It's all about get the most sensational and outrageous version out there first. Honesty and integrity is missing from the news sources most qualify as editorialists at best and propagandists as the norm.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OldCannon »

Not trying to defend the cops or the newspaper, but if the robbers pointed a Tec-9 or similar at the victim ( and those are definitely popular), the victim would definitely have told the cops it looked like a submachine gun.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

austinrealtor wrote:And that, my friends, is manufacturing news instead of reporting it.
Unless it actually was a submachine gun. :biggrinjester:
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

I wish I'd recorded the scanner the night the sheriff picked up a DUI with a Marlin .22 in the car, and the next day the paper reported it as an AK47.

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

lkd wrote:Not trying to defend the cops or the newspaper, but if the robbers pointed a Tec-9 or similar at the victim ( and those are definitely popular), the victim would definitely have told the cops it looked like a submachine gun.
And if the article had stated "looked like a submachine gun" instead of stating authoritatively that it was in fact a submachine gun, then I'd have no problem with it.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OldCannon »

austinrealtor wrote:
lkd wrote:Not trying to defend the cops or the newspaper, but if the robbers pointed a Tec-9 or similar at the victim ( and those are definitely popular), the victim would definitely have told the cops it looked like a submachine gun.
And if the article had stated "looked like a submachine gun" instead of stating authoritatively that it was in fact a submachine gun, then I'd have no problem with it.
I'm just saying, if the victim said, "No, it was definitely a submachine gun", how are the cops (or reporter) going to argue? I guess you could preface all parts of your article with "it was claimed that" or "the victim alleges", but I'd think that most editors will strike that out before it goes to copy, unless it was a CYA thing.

Again, the "preponderance of reason" supports your theory, but it's far more likely the reporter was just parroting something in order to hit a deadline.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

austinrealtor wrote:The lead brief in your “Central Texas Digest” crime blotter on page 2 of the Metro section November 19, 2010, is stunning example of laziness, ineptitude, parroting of authority, and likely an example of outright bias by your newspaper toward gun control.
Having observed the media for over three decades, while all of the above may play some role, I think 95% of the explanation is a deliberate servicing of the anti-gun agenda. While they may not know the difference between one kind of gun and another, and they undoubtedly parrot authority, their terminology is chosen to service their agenda, not to accurately convey information.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

lkd wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:
I'm just saying, if the victim said, "No, it was definitely a submachine gun", how are the cops (or reporter) going to argue? I guess you could preface all parts of your article with "it was claimed that" or "the victim alleges", but I'd think that most editors will strike that out before it goes to copy, unless it was a CYA thing.

Again, the "preponderance of reason" supports your theory, but it's far more likely the reporter was just parroting something in order to hit a deadline.
What if the victim/witness says "It was definitely a bazooka" but it turns out to be a potato gun? Or what if the victim/witness says "it was definitely a lightsaber" but it turns out the witness is off his meds and just watched Star Wars before the incident?

At what point does the journalist's own common sense and vast encyclopedic knowledge of random things lead him/her to question "is this accurate?" "is it likely?" "is it even possible?" regardless of what is fed to him by authorities, witnesses etc. Part of the problem is that today's journalists don't have that well-rounded knowledge that the old pros did, especially in terms of knowledge of firearms etc (which my letter attempted to correct in some small way). Part of the problem is today's journalists don't care or don't understand the difference between fact and hearsay.

I agree it's a moving target of when you do or don't use the "alleged" qualifier (or similar), but that's a journalist's job. I did it for more than 10 years. Most journalists are cautious to avoid libel, better journalists are also cautious to avoid falsehoods of any kind regardless of the legal consequences. In the long run, consistently being "wrong" especially about the same subject over and again, can be more damaging to the Fourth Estate than any libel case. Just look at how many people on this forum, how many citizens who lean to the right politically, simply DO NOT TRUST the media anymore.

Certainly the technological innovations that fostered widespread and less expensive competitors and the catostrophic increase in the price of paper are huge factors in the accelerating downfall of the American newspaper industry. But simply being "wrong" too often hasn't helped retain readership.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”