OK Walmart's - The New Meth Labs

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

OK Walmart's - The New Meth Labs

Post by Keith B »

Two instances within 3 days of people cooking meth in a Tulsa, OK Walmart. 'Shake and Bake' meth labs can be as close as the person standing next to you. Just remember, the odor coming from that person next to you at Walmart may not be BO, but H2SO4.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/W ... KsN_w.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/M ... YsOWA.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Harrychl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OK Walmart's - The New Meth Labs

Post by Harrychl »

That's just "wrong". Going to Wally World to make your own "high"! That's beyond crazy!!

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...and they're all paranoid 'bout what's goin' on in Sporting Goods!!!

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Jeez.. that's just plain scary. We did a standby with one of the local drug task forces one morning, where they were going to raid a meth cook-house, then de-contaminate it. Unfortunately, it made it to the last stage rather explosively. Bad ju-ju. Transported several folks who were sick for days.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Keith B wrote:Two instances within 3 days of people cooking meth in a Tulsa, OK Walmart. 'Shake and Bake' meth labs can be as close as the person standing next to you. Just remember, the odor coming from that person next to you at Walmart may not be BO, but H2SO4.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/W ... KsN_w.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/M ... YsOWA.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tulsa??? Where is Oral Roberts when you need him to heal some folk?

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mamabearCali »

Meth Labs scare the daylights out of me. They can be anything anywhere and one day just go boom! Not to mention the damage they do along the way to bystanders.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

mamabearCali wrote:Meth Labs scare the daylights out of me. They can be anything anywhere and one day just go boom! Not to mention the damage they do along the way to bystanders.
What does a meth lab look like. Will I know it when I see it? I've seen all sorts of billboards with rotten teeth people on them but what does a meth lab look like?

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The biggest concern with meth labs is the caustic fumes from the harsh chemicals they use to 'cook' the meth (extract it) out of the pseudophed tablets. There is also the risk of explosion or flash fires from the mixed chemicals. Portable 'shake & bake' labs are now the thing as they are harder to track down as they can be hidden in a car trunk or even backpack by using 2-liter soda bottles. Just Google 'shake and bake meth lab' and you will find links to photos and articles where they have been busted
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Thanks Keith B,

If you set your mind to it, you can learn something everyday.

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

My brother-in-law had a rental house that had to be gutted after his renters were cooking meth in it. The guy had ripped out the bathroom sink and had turned the supply lines down to provide water to his batch when he cooked. The carpet had been ripped out of the bathroom. There were burns from flash fires up the wall and on the floor. The biggest issue was the chemicals and toxic fumes from them during the process had completely permeated the carpet, drapes and walls in the house. They had to wear hazmat gear to strip the house out and to fumigate the house, the totally repaint, re-carpet and put new window treatments in the house. The saddest part is this was a young couple with two very small children. The children ended up in state custody and no telling what kind of damage the chemicals had done to their lungs and little bodies. :mad5
Keith

ELB

Post by ELB »

Oldgringo wrote:
What does a meth lab look like. Will I know it when I see it? I've seen all sorts of billboards with rotten teeth people on them but what does a meth lab look like?
Here's a couple links that might help:

The narrative on this one leaves something to be desired, but there is a nice table that lists some signs -- scroll down to see it.
http://www.forensic-applications.com/me ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is another one. Common signs are listed on the second webpage
http://www.forensic-applications.com/me ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our VFD went through "How to Make Your Own Meth..." errr, "Meth Lab Recognition" course awhile back, in case we roll up to an event that is more than your average structure fire or medical call. Basically, concentrations or collections of common household and automotive chemicals in uncommon amounts. Ammonia is often stored in inappropriate containers, like propane tanks, and the ammonia will discolor the valves, turning them blue (or maybe green, according to one article. I was taught blue). Locations might be accompanied by secretive, paranoid people (paranoid from both the effects of meth and the effect of not wanting to get caught) who look like the people on that billboard, and who paper over the windows -- and smoke their cigarettes on the porch or the yard (so they don't ignite flammable vapors in the house). Unusual chemical odors and unusual plumbing arrangements (PVC pipe hooked to the propane tank with the blue valve). Unusual amount of trash, containing empty chemical containers, chemical residue, and funny colored coffee filters.

Oh, here's a photograph of a meth lab: http://tagg.im/thread/124/how-to-identify-a-meth-lab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

ELB wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Here's a couple links that might help:

The narrative on this one leaves something to be desired, but there is a nice table that lists some signs -- scroll down to see it.

Here is another one. Common signs are listed on the second webpage

Our VFD went through "How to Make Your Own Meth..." errr, "Meth Lab Recognition" course awhile back, in case we roll up to an event that is more than your average structure fire or medical call. Basically, concentrations or collections of common household and automotive chemicals in uncommon amounts. Ammonia is often stored in inappropriate containers, like propane tanks, and the ammonia will discolor the valves, turning them blue (or maybe green, according to one article. I was taught blue). Locations might be accompanied by secretive, paranoid people (paranoid from both the effects of meth and the effect of not wanting to get caught) who look like the people on that billboard, and who paper over the windows -- and smoke their cigarettes on the porch or the yard (so they don't ignite flammable vapors in the house). Unusual chemical odors and unusual plumbing arrangements (PVC pipe hooked to the propane tank with the blue valve). Unusual amount of trash, containing empty chemical containers, chemical residue, and funny colored coffee filters.

Oh, here's a photograph of a meth lab: http://tagg.im/thread/124/how-to-identify-a-meth-lab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you.

This is absolutely SICK! Have we, as a nation, always been this self-destructive or has it come about just in my lifetime and why?

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Only in your life time sir.
Kicked God out of schools & shooters moved in.
Kicked God out of Washington & the emperor moved in.
Kicked God out of personal lives & well, guess what???
Dont think that takes Perry Mason.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mamabearCali »

Has it always been this way? Well--- yes and no. There have always been those bent on their own destruction. However because of the disintegration of the family unit, the lack of morality and discipline (I say the lack of a healthy fear of the Almighty), more people walk down this path than used to. You tell people they are nothing more than animals, and that morality is what you make it long enough and some will start to believe it and some will act on it. There is always hope though, sometimes just before amazing and wonderful regeneration comes in a culture there is a very dark period with all sorts of social ills. If each of us looks to our own family and teaches our own kids/invests in our grandchildren right from wrong, and a love for life and our fellow man there is still hope.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Keith B wrote:Two instances within 3 days of people cooking meth in a Tulsa, OK Walmart. 'Shake and Bake' meth labs can be as close as the person standing next to you. Just remember, the odor coming from that person next to you at Walmart may not be BO, but H2SO4.
Feel The Burn!

It looks like that woman found a way to lower her materials costs for meth production but if the pseudo is behind the counter in OK and requires ID, it's still the weak link in the production chain.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “The Crime Blotter”