Florida man commits suicide at gun range

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
texanron
Posts in topic: 1

Florida man commits suicide at gun range

Post by texanron »

12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Keith B

Re: Florida man commits suicide at gun range

Post by Keith B »

Not uncommon issue for suicide at gun range. Happens several times a year around the country. Murder-suicides are even more common. Speculating, but this sounds like this guy maybe was capable of killing his wife, but didn't have the means to commit quick suicide, so went to the range and rented a gun to do it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

How rude.

SavageMythology

Post by SavageMythology »

Sheriff's deputies went to his home in Tamarac, about five miles from the gun range, but got no answer when they knocked on the door, according to the Sun-Sentinel. The officers went into the home and found the man's 45-year-old wife dead in a bedroom.
In this particular case, the police would certainly not have gained normal access to the house since the wife was already dead. The story implies, though, that the officers were not aware of her state. Were they in the right to go into the home anyway? If the wife had been alive and out shopping with a dead cell phone battery (i.e. unreachable) when they stopped by the house, did they have a reasonable right to enter the home without permission of the homeowner?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Note to self: The happening place if I ever decide to off myself, would be my local shooting range. :fire

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

SavageMythology wrote:
Sheriff's deputies went to his home in Tamarac, about five miles from the gun range, but got no answer when they knocked on the door, according to the Sun-Sentinel. The officers went into the home and found the man's 45-year-old wife dead in a bedroom.
In this particular case, the police would certainly not have gained normal access to the house since the wife was already dead. The story implies, though, that the officers were not aware of her state. Were they in the right to go into the home anyway? If the wife had been alive and out shopping with a dead cell phone battery (i.e. unreachable) when they stopped by the house, did they have a reasonable right to enter the home without permission of the homeowner?

...yes, they did...can you imagine if she'd been in there shot and dying and left a note that she heard the police knocking but couldn't let them in...and she lay there for days before dying? I'd rather replace a window or door than have them just leave, given the man's suicide...they would have been derelict had they not persisted until they got in and made sure noone was hurt there...

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Note to self: The happening place if I ever decide to off myself, would be my local shooting range. :fire
Keep us posted. We're here :cheers2: for you if you need to "rlol" talk.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

speedsix wrote:
SavageMythology wrote:

...yes, they did...can you imagine if she'd been in there shot and dying and left a note that she heard the police knocking but couldn't let them in...and she lay there for days before dying? I'd rather replace a window or door than have them just leave, given the man's suicide...they would have been derelict had they not persisted until they got in and made sure noone was hurt there...
Can you say "stinky"?

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Oldgringo wrote:How rude.
:iagree:

Sad business, though.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Oldgringo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:Note to self: The happening place if I ever decide to off myself, would be my local shooting range. :fire
Keep us posted. We're here :cheers2: for you if you need to "rlol" talk.
I am pretty certain a lot of posters on this forum would tell me to "jump". :biggrinjester:

Return to “The Crime Blotter”