FBI investigates Winnsboro Police Department

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FBI investigates Winnsboro Police Department

Post by ELB »

My hometown (in Indiana) police went through an episode of this some years back. Something that is difficult to prove when there is one victim and several cops on scene. Stuff like this should be pursued and punished ruthlessly. Crooked cops are worse than crooks. Crooked DAs and crooked judges right in there with them.
USAF 1982-2005

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

...might that be Evansville? they were rotten to the core...and it took a lot of Lysol to clean that one up...

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

A cousin of mine was LAPD and routinely engaged in all sorts of shenanigans planting drugs and "confiscating" (stealing) things from random people he would stop. He was ultimately arrested and paid dearly for his corruption.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Topic author
tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

It really makes me wonder why they do it. Is it the power trip thing of being able to slap the bracelets on someone and take them to jail just for the heck ot it? Did they just not like the way the person looked or was dressed? Was it because they just looked like a hippie and thought that was a perfect candidate? Would they ever do that to a CHL holder just because they didn't like citizens having guns? Many, many questions.......
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...the commissioner of public safety that hired our class sat us down and told us: "Boys, in a few minutes, I'm going to be giving you a gun and a badge...if you're not a man when you pick it up, it won't make you one..." truer words were never spoken, and he was a Dixie Mafia crook...he just knew men...

Topic author
tomtexan

Re: FBI investigates Winnsboro Police Department :Update:

Post by tomtexan »

The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine (that will never be paid) is absurd. His maximum potential sentence in terms of jail/prison time is far less than the sentences his innocent victims faced. He should be sentenced to life without parole. This is an excellent example why the most dangerous person on the street isn't a thug with a gun,it's a dishonest COP. They have the power, authority, trust, and courtroom credibility to utterly destroy an innocent person's life and the lives of their families. This is why no one hates a bad COP more than a good COP.

Chas.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

tomtexan wrote:A criminal investigation has been launched against the Winnsboro Police Department. As a result, the Wood County District Attorney has suspended prosecution of all cases from that department.

Representatives from the United States Attorney’s Office will not confirm whether a federal lawsuit filed by a Camp County man set off that investigation.

A civil lawsuit was filed by Jason Brummell who said officers planted drugs in his vehicle during a 2008 traffic stop. Mr. Brummell filed the lawsuit in 2009 against the city of Winnsboro, the Winnsboro police chief and three officers. Dustin Swann, also of Pittsburg, filed a similar suit.

http://www.news-journal.com/pittsburg/n ... bf731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does this kind of thing really happen? Anyone know of any such instances in the past with any other agencies? Has anyone ever worried that it could happen to you? Thoughts and opinions?

Indeed it does. My brother-in-law had a game warden plant a lead shotgun shell in his truck. She used that as a pretext for a vehicle search.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine (that will never be paid) is absurd. His maximum potential sentence in terms of jail/prison time is far less than the sentences his innocent victims faced. He should be sentenced to life without parole. This is an excellent example why the most dangerous person on the street isn't a thug with a gun,it's a dishonest COP. They have the power, authority, trust, and courtroom credibility to utterly destroy an innocent person's life and the lives of their families. This is why no one hates a bad COP more than a good COP.

Chas.
:iagree:

I find the "sealed" plea interesting. This is common in RICO cases when the snitch makes a deal. I wonder if this will lead to bigger fish. This guy is an embarrassment to leo's! Planting drugs to make an arrest? :banghead: I would love to investigate somebody like this

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

There was an article a while back on another site from California where a guy claimed the cops planted drugs in his car right in front of him. I don't now if he was sueing or not. The cops actually admitted they did it, but claimed it was a training aide for a couple of younger cops that were there. I don't think they ever pressed charges on the guy.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

It was believed, widely, that the San Diego cops often carried throw downs, knives, small cheap pistols, to be thrown down in case a situation got out of hand. I did not experience that claim but did catch two of SD finest lying through their teeth on the witness stand. So many civilians are users out there that they probably didn't need to throw down baggies.

I particularly distrust K-9 use, since they can fool people rather easily and nothing you can do usually.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Athens Tennessee knew how to handle corruption. May not be relevant to LEO's planting evidence but its a good story.

http://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/tnrevolt.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
III

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
As a former LEO, I agree on all the points you made.

The sentence isn't 1/50th of what it should be. :mad5
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

rbwhatever1 wrote:Athens Tennessee knew how to handle corruption. May not be relevant to LEO's planting evidence but its a good story.

http://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/tnrevolt.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have read about that before. It is something ALL POLITICIANS should be reminded of regularly. :evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine (that will never be paid) is absurd. His maximum potential sentence in terms of jail/prison time is far less than the sentences his innocent victims faced. He should be sentenced to life without parole.
A year might be enough if they put him in the general population and look the other way. That's the best chance for real justice at this point.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”