Gunfire during Dark Night Rises

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 6

Gunfire during Dark Night Rises

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Someone started shooting during a screening of the Dark Night Rises in Aurora CO.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... eater?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

JustMe
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gunfire during Dark Night Rises

Post by JustMe »

watching the coverage now. I thought Colorado was a lot like Texas with gunlaws---why wasn't someone carrying? Was the theater posted? I know no one knows the answers--just questions in my mind
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

Topic author
ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ajwakeboarder »

I don't know, but that's the same town that arrested 18 people at an intersection a while back to catch a bank robber.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longhorn_92 »

Prayers going out to the victims and families.

BTW, The "ban guns" people are all over the blogs wanting gun laws... I knew that rhetoric would be brought up.
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

Songbird
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Songbird »

Adding my prayers for all involved.

I don't understand why it's so hard for the "ban guns" people to get that gun laws only apply to the good guys. :banghead:
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

rp_photo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rp_photo »

I wonder if it was an AMC Theater?
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

C-dub
Posts in topic: 27

Post by C-dub »

JustMe wrote:watching the coverage now. I thought Colorado was a lot like Texas with gunlaws---why wasn't someone carrying? Was the theater posted? I know no one knows the answers--just questions in my mind
Who knows. If I were there I would have been armed. Maybe an armed citizen could have stopped him and maybe not. With the number of dead and injured I'm sure it was an EXTREMELY confusing and frightening situation.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rp_photo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rp_photo »

What is it with Colorado? A lot of mayhem seems to happen there.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 22

Post by RPB »

Googled
Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center
you get a lot of links

I see a couple tiny signs on some doors, can't see what any say

cell phone video of the front doors area
from news station
http://www.wtsp.com/video/default.aspx? ... 4272288001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warning: This is the original video with sound,
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RPB on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Hearing now that because it was a massive movie opening there were many police already there for crowd control.

Shooter seems to have set off some tear gas, while wearing gas mask, and started shooting when people were running for exits.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

stealthfightrf17
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

KHOU Houston just reported that there are 14 dead, 50 injured. The suspects apartment is being swept for explosives

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Police caught shooter in the parking lot.

knotquiteawake
Posts in topic: 3

Post by knotquiteawake »

Carrying or not I think most of us would have been pretty much out of luck. The morning newscast indicated he was wearing bullet proof vest and a riot helmet.
I know for sure my .32 would probably not even be noticed by him... My plan would be to leave quickly. If I were there with like minded friends like myself maybe we could have come up with a plan to take him down physically.
Bad situation... bad bad bad, I really can't wrap my mind around any safe way to stop him from killing those people.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 17

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RPB wrote:Warning: This is the original video with sound,
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course, there is the obligatory...
There is believed to be no connection to Islamic terrorism, per a senior official monitoring the situation in Washington. Investigators are now interviewing friends and associates of the suspect to get a sense of the man's background.
...posted immediately below the video. FIRST they make a statement about it NOT being Islamic terrorism, spoken by some administration flack all the way east in DC; THEN they say they're trying to figure out what motivated him.

God help us.......In medicine, when an illness has three or four possible etiologies, any responsible doctor will tell you that A) you work by process of elimination to find the cause; and B) you START with the one that's a biggest threat to the patient and work down from there, eliminating the possibilities until you find the cause. But here, right off the bat, and without knowning anything about him by their own admission, they immediately eliminate the worst possible cause from consideration. Don't want people thinking that terrorism could ever happen again....Not on Obama/Napolitano's watch! Geeze. I'm not saying it IS terrorism, but THEY DON'T KNOW!!! Heck, it could be homegrown non-Islamist terrorism. If so, it is still terrorism. And by the way, when someone armors up, gets strapped, and walks into a crowded theater to kill as many people as he can, that is premeditated. Crazy, maybe, but definitely premeditated. Just like terrorism is premeditated. How could they make such an uninformed announcement? And why the Heck is the situation being monitored from Washington DC by some federal official if they are so sure it isn't a federal matter? "NOT terrorism" makes it a local matter until locals ask for federal help. And until locals ask for such help, federal opinions are irrelevant.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :mad5
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 22

Post by RPB »

I got eye strain watching trying to read the poorly lit tiny door signs.

Searched a few forums in other States

Century 16 in Aurora is part of the Cinemark family and while this may have changed , as of 2008 they banned OC and CC in their theatres.
http://vagunforum.net/general-discussio ... 28451.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2009 Cinemark
Manager:Excuse me guys but firearms are not allowed in here, you'll have to put them in your vehicle.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/ope ... eater.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if that's still the case; it was a gun-free zone; so there's no reason for this thread since it couldn't happen- guns aren't allowed in defenseless victim zones.

Cinemark Theaters No Firearms Policy http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RPB on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “The Crime Blotter”