Woman Beheaded in Oklahoma

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

victory
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Woman Beheaded in Oklahoma

Post by victory »

Is that the right link? The story doesn't say anything about him cutting off any heads at the school.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

Dave2 wrote:
C-dub wrote:
CHLLady wrote:Do you think he could have been after a way to cash in by claiming racism by suing the school if he was arrested and turns out he was a parent of a student at the school? But plans fell through since the lame school didn't react as he hoped? -- my kids schools have signs posted that all visitors MUST check in at the office. You have to have your id scanned and you are issued a id sticker pass.
My first thought wasn't that he was looking for a payday on a racism charge. He could be anyone from a full blown idiot radical terrorist stupid enough to ask questions that raised peoples alert level to a concerned parent with a child in the school that wanted to know if they knew the answers to his questions. There have been a couple of parents/dads that have done something dumb like this to bring attention to this type of thing before. IIRC, both of those were arrested and at least one did jail time.
They went to jail for asking questions about the security where their kids went to school?!? Surely there's more to the story...
The only one I can find at the moment is this one. He did more than ask questions.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/co ... /14044604/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was found Not Guilty. I think he was lucky, but they probably came to this verdict because he had no real intent of causing harm and did not have a weapon on him. BTW, I had not looked up the outcome of this before this time. I though for sure he was going to jail.
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04 ... tary.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

CHLLady wrote:They should have a procedure in place. Most exits are locked in a way that you can leave, just can't enter again once the door latches. That's how it is at my kids' school.
Still, what good is locking the door once the intruder is inside?

Think about it in terms of your home; if you know there's an intruder, are you going to go secure the perimeter to make sure you don't get any more, or are you going to implement either a fight or flight plan for all household members immediately?

Either bring to bear whatever resources you have to expel or neutralize the intruder, or evacuate by whatever means necessary.

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

The subject of the OP, Alton Nolen, is on trial now:

'He wouldn't stop,' survivor of beheading attempt tells jury

The reporter put in this awkward sentence:
She was saved when the company's then-chief operating officer, Mark Vaughan, interrupted the attack, according to testimony Monday.
If you didn't already know the story, you wouldn't find out for several more paragraphs that Vaughan shot Nolen with a rifle three times. Vaughan is a reserve deputy. Also, once you read the story, you find the attack on the second woman, whom Nolen tried to behead, was actually interrupted by her supervisor throwing things at Nolen, who then charged the supervisor. That was when Vaughan arrived and shot Nolen. Not taking a thing away from Vaughan, he made the final stop, but that sentence I quoted seems very stilted when you put together the rest of the story.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

C-dub wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
C-dub wrote:
CHLLady wrote:Do you think he could have been after a way to cash in by claiming racism by suing the school if he was arrested and turns out he was a parent of a student at the school? But plans fell through since the lame school didn't react as he hoped? -- my kids schools have signs posted that all visitors MUST check in at the office. You have to have your id scanned and you are issued a id sticker pass.
My first thought wasn't that he was looking for a payday on a racism charge. He could be anyone from a full blown idiot radical terrorist stupid enough to ask questions that raised peoples alert level to a concerned parent with a child in the school that wanted to know if they knew the answers to his questions. There have been a couple of parents/dads that have done something dumb like this to bring attention to this type of thing before. IIRC, both of those were arrested and at least one did jail time.
They went to jail for asking questions about the security where their kids went to school?!? Surely there's more to the story...
The only one I can find at the moment is this one. He did more than ask questions.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/co ... /14044604/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was found Not Guilty. I think he was lucky, but they probably came to this verdict because he had no real intent of causing harm and did not have a weapon on him. BTW, I had not looked up the outcome of this before this time. I though for sure he was going to jail.
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04 ... tary.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting thing is I work with this guy, he didn't mean it as a threat but he can be very overbearing!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Well, he can then meet the 72 Virginians.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

ELB

Post by ELB »

Updates:

The story link I posted on 12 Oct 17 notes that the jury recommended the death penalty (along with three life sentences and 130 years). Nolen was formally sentenced on 15 Dec 17 to death by lethal injection, plus the life sentences and additional prison time. The death sentence will be automatically appealed.
https://kfor.com/2017/12/15/may-god-hav ... -coworker/

Since then I have been reading the book Surviving a Mass Killer Rampage by Chris Bird and Massad Ayoob. It contains an account of this murder, and includes some details about Mark Vaughan, the man who shot Alton Nolen and stopped his butchering spree attempt.

Vaughan was the son of the man who founded the company, and had been its CEO when he sold the company sold to another corporation. Vaughan remained as Chief Operating Officer, and he was also a reserve deputy with the county sheriff's office. All deputies, reserve and full time, were given active shooter training. Vaughan is also a NRA instructor.

When Vaughan still owned the company he permitted employees with a license to carry handguns on company property, but when he sold the company the new corporate management forbid firearms on the property. At the time of the attack, Vaughan did not have a firearm on his person or in his office. He was notified by the head of security -- armed with an expandable ASP baton -- of the attack. Vaughan ran out to his car and got a vest with the labels "Sheriff" on it which he had purchased himself. The vest also carried rifle magazines and first aid supplies. He also picked up his AR-15, semi-auto version, which was loaded with FMJ. For operational use the sheriff's deputies used soft point rounds, but apparently he had been practicing and the rifle was still loaded with FMJ.

When he confronted Alton Nolen, Nolen charged with a knife in his hand. At about 15 feet of separation Vaughan fired one round, at which point Nolen hesitated, then continued to charge. Vaughan fired two more rounds and Nolen stopped, leaned against a wall, and then slid down to the floor but apparently remained conscious. The security guy used his baton to knock away the knife. An on duty sheriff's deputy arrived about 90 seconds later.

The first round Vaughan fired hit Nolen as he was turned sideways and cut a 1/2 inch groove across the upper part of his chest, from side to side. One of the next two rounds missed and the other went through Nolen's arm, then through his lower abdomen, then exited his body.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Rob72 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:29 am $1.20 in WWB .223= ~2.5 million in legal fees, room & board, for the State of Oklahoma

$1.89 in Hornady XTP .223= No tax payer out-of-pocket costs.

Be a good citizen. Spend the extra $0.69... :mrgreen:
Easy to QB after the fact in the calmness of hindsight, but at that distance I think I might have laid on the trigger a few more times, until he was on the floor, so $1.20 x 8 + tax = $10.
USAF 1982-2005

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

ELB wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:52 am
Rob72 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:29 am $1.20 in WWB .223= ~2.5 million in legal fees, room & board, for the State of Oklahoma

$1.89 in Hornady XTP .223= No tax payer out-of-pocket costs.

Be a good citizen. Spend the extra $0.69... :mrgreen:
Easy to QB after the fact in the calmness of hindsight, but at that distance I think I might have laid on the trigger a few more times, until he was on the floor, so $1.20 x 8 + tax = $10.
State of Oklahoma should symbolically refund his tax... lol.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”