MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

mojo84
Posts in topic: 7

Re: MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by mojo84 »

Attachments
HT_Casrtile_Gun_Permit2_MEM_160713_33x16_992.jpg
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 7

Re: MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by mojo84 »

It's also coming to light the girlfriend that did filming has since changed her story again.

Time will reveal a better picture of what really happened and why.

Sad times for all involved and our country.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 5

Post by LAYGO »

A higher res image of the letter:

I read the line in the letter to Philando stating "you must have your permit & other government ID in your immediate possession", meanwhile I went on a walk around the neighborhood last night in my gym shorts and left both of my IDs at home. All while a local officer why driving around and passed me 2-3x.

I would've been more concerned if I was in my car & I saw the officer, but for some reason, I didn't give much thought to the officer while I was walking around.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

koine2002 wrote:
LAYGO wrote:I read the line in the letter to Philando stating "you must have your permit & other government ID in your immediate possession", meanwhile I went on a walk around the neighborhood last night in my gym shorts and left both of my IDs at home. All while a local officer why driving around and passed me 2-3x.

I would've been more concerned if I was in my car & I saw the officer, but for some reason, I didn't give much thought to the officer while I was walking around.
In my neighborhood, pedestrian traffic is more likely to be stopped by the beat cops than auto traffic since there's a history of drug traffic in the immediate vicinity.
I live out close to edge of nowhere. A lot of construction going on, widening of lanes, etc. Foot traffic here in my neighborhood is really only residents. No one comes here to just walk around.

I've had kids walking down the street with airsoft rifles (orange clearly visible), bows/arrows, swords . . . all right in front of my house. The airsoft rifle spooked me for a few secs, but he was carrying it in a non-threatening manner and then I saw the orange.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

koine2002 wrote:
LAYGO wrote:
koine2002 wrote:
LAYGO wrote:I read the line in the letter to Philando stating "you must have your permit & other government ID in your immediate possession", meanwhile I went on a walk around the neighborhood last night in my gym shorts and left both of my IDs at home. All while a local officer why driving around and passed me 2-3x.

In my neighborhood, pedestrian traffic is more likely to be stopped by the beat cops than auto traffic since there's a history of drug traffic in the immediate vicinity.
I live out close to edge of nowhere. A lot of construction going on, widening of lanes, etc. Foot traffic here in my neighborhood is really only residents. No one comes here to just walk around.

I've had kids walking down the street with airsoft rifles (orange clearly visible), bows/arrows, swords . . . all right in front of my house. The airsoft rifle spooked me for a few secs, but he was carrying it in a non-threatening manner and then I saw the orange.
Yeah, I saw a teenager rise up out of the sunroof of his car with an airsoft rifle--without the orange tip. He proceeded to aim it down the street. He scared the bejeebers out of the lot of us shooting the breeze in front of our house, one of whom began raising the front of his shirt to draw his concealed firearm. A second later it became obvious that it was not a real firearm (namely the kids he was going towards breaking out laughing). They did get a pretty stern lecture from us, however.
We did have "that one neighbor" though. One night about 5 of us are in front of my garage talking. We heard something like a gun shot, but were unsure, until "that neighbor" comes out of his house into the front lawn & is seen trying to rack the slide on a pistol. We all scooted inside the garage & police were called. Turns out he had an AD while trying to clear his 1911 that was stuck real good & put a hole in his wall . . . about 3' away from his wife's head (all this per the police). He's since moved, but he has had several incidents with other neighbors around him, even pulling out a shotgun once on someone.
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

St. Anthony, Minnesota, police officer Jeronimo Yanez has been charged with second-degree manslaughter in the death of Philando Castile. In Minnesota, second-degree manslaughter carries a maximum prison sentence of 10 years.

http://abc13.com/news/minnesota-officer ... h/1610100/
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nightmare69 »

He may have been charged but I doubt he will be convicted. His career in LE is over either way though.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Posted on Hotair.com

Minnesota Cop Who Fatally Shot Philando Castile Acquitted Of All Charges
http://hotair.com/headlines/archives/20 ... l-charges/
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Que the riots in 3, 2, 1.......
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Perhaps the cops camera showed something different? I dont know,m. From the video she sounded very level headed and I assume he was too.....
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

tx85

Post by tx85 »

Not that this justifies the cop's actions, but Mr. Castile wasn't actually a legal gun owner as media outlets continue to claim even today. His state permit to carry is irrelevant because he was prohibited by federal law (18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3)) from possessing guns.
NYTimes wrote:Earl Gray, a lawyer for Officer Yanez, questioned Ms. Reynolds at length about her marijuana use. Ms. Reynolds said she and Mr. Castile smoked marijuana daily, and had done so for years. She admitted that there was marijuana in the car at the time Officer Yanez pulled them over, but she said they had not been smoking.
Progressives attacked the NRA after this incident happened and they are attacking the NRA again today for "not standing up for licensed gun owner Mr. Castile".

Progressives: "the NRA is extremist!"
Also progressives: "why isn't the NRA standing up for an illegal drug user who illegally possessed a gun?!"

Txtension
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Txtension »

tx85 wrote:Not that this justifies the cop's actions, but Mr. Castile wasn't actually a legal gun owner as media outlets continue to claim even today. His state permit to carry is irrelevant because he was prohibited by federal law (18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3)) from possessing guns.
18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts
(g) It shall be unlawful for any person—
(3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting* commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
IANAL, but I did score pretty well on the reading portion of my SAT a while back. Despite that, I'm having trouble understanding how 18usc 922 applies to Mr. Castile. I think you are intimating that gun ownership equals affecting* interstate commerce. I see how this applies to gun stores, parts manufactures, etc...and maybe to the end buyer at the time he buys the weapon. But in perpetuity as long as one simply owns a firearm? Wasn't the original GFSZ struck down with similar logic?

*Affect: to bring about, or accomplish. e.g., "To bring about interstate commerce / To accomplish interstate commerce."

With all due respect, Sir

tx85

Post by tx85 »

From the ATF website:
The Gun Control Act (GCA), codified at 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), makes it unlawful for certain categories of persons to ship, transport, receive, or possess firearms or ammunition, to include any person:

* convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
* who is a fugitive from justice;
* who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act, codified at 21 U.S.C. § 802);
ATF Open Letter:
any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition
Txtension wrote:I think you are intimating that gun ownership equals affecting* interstate commerce.
Not ownership, but possession. And it's not me, but court precedent that says that. The bar for something affecting interstate commerce is incredibly low.
Txtension wrote:But in perpetuity as long as one simply owns a firearm? Wasn't the original GFSZ struck down with similar logic?
The original GFSZ was struck down because it didn't limit which guns it applied to. The revised version added "has moved in or otherwise affects interstate commerce" and has so far been upheld by the courts that have considered it. That's basically the magical phrase that makes the Supreme Court uphold a federal regulation or ban. It's also the legal basis for the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity bill (pretty much every gun is made of parts or materials that have moved in interstate commerce, so the Federal Government can require states to let you carry that gun under the state's existing carry law).

Return to “The Crime Blotter”