MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

parabelum
Posts in topic: 15

Re: MN: Police officer shoots kills possible CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by parabelum »

Keith B wrote:
parabelum wrote:His permit was issued in Hennepin County.

He died in Ramsey County.
Supposedly, as that is the county where he lived. Do you have a link to confirmation of his permit issued from that county?
"Philando Castile had a valid permit to carry a gun when he was shot and killed by a St. Anthony police officer, a source confirmed to the Star Tribune Friday."

"Although the names of gun permit holders are not public under state law, a source confirmed Castile was issued the permit when he lived in Robbinsdale."

http://m.startribune.com/philando-casti ... 386054481/

Robbinsdale is in Hennepin county.

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 2

Re: MN: Police officer shoots kills possible CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by vjallen75 »

parabelum wrote:"Philando Castile had a valid permit to carry a gun when he was shot and killed by a St. Anthony police officer, a source confirmed to the Star Tribune Friday."

"Although the names of gun permit holders are not public under state law, a source confirmed Castile was issued the permit when he lived in Robbinsdale."

Thanks for sharing.

This definitely puts a twist on the story. I almost went on a rant about this and I will wait to give my opinion :headscratch
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Topbuilder
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Topbuilder »

Sam Keats on July 9, 2016 at 11:25 pm

"Hey, I live here and I know this guy. Phil had traffic stops only. A lot of them–people of color get profiled. The most he was ever convicted of were Misdemeanors and petty misdemeanors–driving without his seatbelt. Not having proof of registration in his car. Also, it is now confirmed that he was licensed to carry in the city of Robbinsdale. (A suburb of Minneapolis, sister city to St. Paul, where Philando worked.) He worked in our school’s cafeteria, as the supervisor, a job that is far more complicated than you might realize. He ordered food, supervised and worked on meal prep, and fed 520 kids two meals a day–kids with special needs, kids with behavioral issues, kids with food allergies that could kill them if they came in contact with a certain food. We’re talking little ones, from four through eleven. And he knew the name of every one. He gave extra food to kids who were hungry. He checked food choices and encouraged healthy ones. He helped the kids with special needs transition from breakfast to the classroom. He’d stand there–he never missed a day–his dreads in a silly bun covered with a hair net–and when you asked him how he was, he’d smile–a real smile–and say, “Just another day in Paradise.” Please look in the mirror and understand that he was a better man than most, a kinder man than most. He knew that strong could be gentle. Our school–our parents, our staff, and all of our children–are devastated by his death. And our little vigil for him on Thursday turned into a calm protest march thousands strong. When you slander this man, when you libel this man, realize that–if you believe in God–someday, you will have to face your maker about your choice. I know Phil will be there, and I’ll bet he’ll ask God to be merciful to you."

I think history will show this to be an accurate representation of the deceased. A good guy.
He was pulled over 53 times in 14 years. 86 citations issued. 1/2 of the charges were dropped. I read he currently did not have a license to drive a car. He had to know the drill... hands on wheel, follow instructions. He could have had his info out before the cop got the car. What share of the responsibility did he hold?
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

This is what happens in BO's America. Everything is upside down.

Ugly truth is that because of affirmative action, reduction in standards and degradation of proper training protocols to cater to said reduction in standards, people who have no business being a Law Enforcement Officer end up with the job they are not prepared to handle. Either mentally, physically or both.

I said before that I've noticed that yesteryear LEO's had more grit. And I'm not talking long long time ago. I'm talking about late 90's. Now I have people close to me who have served in combat, have a excellent street savvy aptitude, are expert marksman and who have squeaky clean record getting passed up because they have full sleeve tattoo as an example.
So what you get instead is a clean cut dude who looks good on paper but lacks that grit. Stop gets little iffy or something happens that is not unlawful but maybe out of norm and they get twitchy and nervous. Next thing you know, situation goes south for everyone involved.

Again, this is NOT the RULE , but rather an EXCEPTION, and the MAJORITY of LEO's are some of the finest and bravest souls patrolling our degenerated streets.

It's a shame that FEW who got into profession they never were qualified (under "old" standards) for to begin with, end up embarrassing the WHOLE LE community.

As a friend and a cousin of current LEO's, it makes my blood boil.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Topbuilder wrote:Sam Keats on July 9, 2016 at 11:25 pm

"Hey, I live here and I know this guy. Phil had traffic stops only. A lot of them–people of color get profiled. The most he was ever convicted of were Misdemeanors and petty misdemeanors–driving without his seatbelt. Not having proof of registration in his car. Also, it is now confirmed that he was licensed to carry in the city of Robbinsdale. (A suburb of Minneapolis, sister city to St. Paul, where Philando worked.) He worked in our school’s cafeteria, as the supervisor, a job that is far more complicated than you might realize. He ordered food, supervised and worked on meal prep, and fed 520 kids two meals a day–kids with special needs, kids with behavioral issues, kids with food allergies that could kill them if they came in contact with a certain food. We’re talking little ones, from four through eleven. And he knew the name of every one. He gave extra food to kids who were hungry. He checked food choices and encouraged healthy ones. He helped the kids with special needs transition from breakfast to the classroom. He’d stand there–he never missed a day–his dreads in a silly bun covered with a hair net–and when you asked him how he was, he’d smile–a real smile–and say, “Just another day in Paradise.” Please look in the mirror and understand that he was a better man than most, a kinder man than most. He knew that strong could be gentle. Our school–our parents, our staff, and all of our children–are devastated by his death. And our little vigil for him on Thursday turned into a calm protest march thousands strong. When you slander this man, when you libel this man, realize that–if you believe in God–someday, you will have to face your maker about your choice. I know Phil will be there, and I’ll bet he’ll ask God to be merciful to you."

I think history will show this to be an accurate representation of the deceased. A good guy.
He was pulled over 53 times in 14 years. 86 citations issued. 1/2 of the charges were dropped. I read he currently did not have a license to drive a car. He had to know the drill... hands on wheel, follow instructions. He could have had his info out before the cop got the car. What share of the responsibility did he hold?
Where was this quote found? Is there any indication of its accuracy?

Chas.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Side note, I remember watching couple years ago an episode of Alaska State Troopers where this nut locked himself inside of a mobile home in the middle of nowhere and threaten to shoot & comitt suicide.

Trooper was alone and he talked to this man who was armed and drunk, barricaded inside of that rat infested mobile home for hours seems like, finally convincing him to surrender and come out.

Several hours later he surrendered, came out and he got into Trooper's truck (passanger side) and they drove to the station.

That Trooper was gritty and knew how to defuse the situation.
I think the standards are pretty high for AST, still.

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I also wonder. I have seen things that indicate when he was shot he already had a weapon in his lap. Of course this is also subject to verification. Whichever way it actually happened, this is messy.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

parabelum wrote:
Keith B wrote:
parabelum wrote:His permit was issued in Hennepin County.

He died in Ramsey County.
Supposedly, as that is the county where he lived. Do you have a link to confirmation of his permit issued from that county?
"Philando Castile had a valid permit to carry a gun when he was shot and killed by a St. Anthony police officer, a source confirmed to the Star Tribune Friday."

Did the officer know he had a valid permit? What was said prior to the guy being shot? What were the guy's actions just prior to being shot? Where exactly was the gun?

This could very well be a very bad shoot or it could be justified. We do not have enough credible evidence at this point. I also won't put too much stock in unnamed sources at this point.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
It was a comment written in after a article. Sorry I did not save it or link it. It was written from a Pro "Phil" perspective.
My point it, he of all people should know how to navigate being pulled over. The reality of the situation is hidden deep in the latest stat I saw, (sorry , no link) police are 40 times more likely to be killed by a black man, who make up 6% of the population. Now this guy had nothing to with that stat other than being black. The police know this stat well. Hyper alert! MWAG robbery fits description of Phil... turns into the perfect storm. BLM will riot to demand justice for the perceived racial bias. At what point does the root of the bias get erased? At what point do blacks commit crime at the same rate as the rest of the population? Until then, we are going to have problems like this.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WTR »

I believe the correct statistic is that 40% of the Police Officers killed by firearms are by black men and that a Police Officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black man than a black man killed by a Police Officer. Still no excuse for the Philando shooting.

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jim Beaux »

Ive read a few things about Philando Castile & have not found any credible info that he was a thug. He had a lot of petty misdemeanor things... automobile violations (insurance, expired tags, lights, etc) but I didnt see anything more. I have also read that he worked for the school district since 2002-if true then that's 14 years with the same employer.

I also read that he was a member of the crips & had pics posted of him holding weapons. I couldnt find anything credible to support that. I saw some FB pics of a typical young man doing typical young man things. (Ive seen a lot worse)

In regards to accusations about this being a racial profiling- ridiculous. The profile the police where working on was for an armed robbery perp who was...black with dreads wearing a blue shirt - and he looked very much like Philando.

As Ive previously stated, we dont know what exactly happened- but I dont think the policeman maliciously shot Philando & I dont think Philando intentionally acted in a manner to provoke. From my reading he was an easy going & friendly fellow- he would have to be somewhat dependable in order to work for the same school around children for 14 yrs.

I think that what we have here is two guys that somehow & accidentally got their wires crossed. As Ive said, we dont have the facts, but Im afraid it was a split second over-reaction to a perceived threat. A bad shooting. But we shall see.

Note: The baseless, disparaging / inflammatory comments only make our forum look bad to outsiders. We are responsible & thoughtful gun owners & should maintain that standard. :tiphat:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jim Beaux »

SNIP
Topbuilder"

It was a comment written in after a article. Sorry I did not save it or link it. It was written from a Pro "Phil" perspective.
My point it, he of all people should know how to navigate being pulled over. The reality of the situation is hidden deep in the latest stat I saw, (sorry , no link) police are 40 times more likely to be killed by a black man, who make up 6% of the population. Now this guy had nothing to with that stat other than being black. The police know this stat well. Hyper alert! MWAG robbery fits description of Phil... turns into the perfect storm. BLM will riot to demand justice for the perceived racial bias. At what point does the root of the bias get erased? At what point do blacks commit crime at the same rate as the rest of the population? Until then, we are going to have problems like this.
according to FBI data, which also found that 40 percent of cop killers are black. According to MacDonald, the police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black than a cop killing an unarmed black person.
MacDonald calls the "Ferguson Effect," as murders have spiked by 17 percent among the 50 biggest cities in the U.S. as a result of cops being more reluctant to police neighborhoods out of fear of being labeled as racists. Additionally, there have been over twice as many cops victimized by fatal shootings in the first three months of 2016.
http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-st ... on-bandler

Those stats are from Heather MacDonald's book, "The War on Cops: How the New Attack on Law and Order Makes Everyone Less Safe"

https://www.amazon.com/War-Cops-Attack- ... Less+Safe.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

Thanks for the corrections fellas.
Phil would have had a bad day. Driving with no MDL. Weed in the car, with a 4 year old. Probably would have lost his CHL. His employer would have been less than impressed... We would have never read about it. I wish that were the end of the story.

Txtension
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Txtension »

...I think history will show this to be an accurate representation of the deceased. A good guy.
He was pulled over 53 times in 14 years. 86 citations issued. 1/2 of the charges were dropped... I read he currently did not have a license to drive a car. He had to know the drill... hands on wheel, follow instructions. He could have had his info out before the cop got the car. What share of the responsibility did he hold?
Why does his criminal record/driving record matter? What does that have to do with his killing?

So apparently there's some drill that he's supposed to know, but can you point out where this "drill" is codified? In Texas, we know, we're supposed to present our LTC's -and- identification when lawfully requested by a magistrate/peace officer. However, where does it say to keep hands on wheel, roll windows down, have papers ready, you know, "the drill?" Where does it say that anywhere in the United States.

As for the culpability in his own death, do we blame the rape victim for wearing skimpy clothes? Do we blame the burglarized Homeowner for buying nice TV's and jewelry. Do we blame the "jugged" for using an ATM.

Lets toss the spotlight on the Officer. How many complaints has he had? How many "thug-life" photo's are on his social media? How many anti-civilian texts has he distributed?

Yea it gets pretty ridiculous, I reckon.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

"How many "thug-life" photo's are on his social media?

Zero.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”