MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 5

Re: MN: Police officer shoots kills possible CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by Jim Beaux »

Considering the agenda driven lies, half truths, incomplete or edited videos, & biased reporting in previous shootings, I question the judgement of all who have jumped to conclusions & condemned the LEO's behavior in this incident.

Remember the lessons of Trevon Martin & Hands up dont shoot -Wait for all the facts.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by drjoker »

If they're going to advocate banning guns when regular people shoot others unlawfully, why not advocate banning/limiting guns for cops?! (Like in Britain or China)

The above was a dumb knee jerk emotional response, so I deleted the following arguments for it. The following arguments point out just how stupid my response was;

1. It has been many decades since I've been to China. Another forum member messaged me saying that cops in China now DO carry guns. They carry revolvers with special 9mm revolver ammo. That's not a misprint. It IS 9mm revolver ammo.

2. cops not carrying guns is tactically very stupid.

But my point stands. The police all over the world in all countries are becoming increasingly militarized. It is a very alarming trend. Maybe police officers need to be publicly elected officials held accountable for their actions instead of hired employees with "qualified immunity" (they are immune from many legal prosecutions).

P.S. my description of qualified immunity is oversimplified. Here is a better one: https://leb.fbi.gov/2012/september/qual ... t-officers
AJSully421 wrote:
My comment was directed, humorously, at the fact that these two are disciples of the "never let a crisis go to waste" idea. But, I don't really know what is in it for them... when a regular guy shoots a black kid, they can harp on gun bans, getting rid of "stand your ground" and rile agains concealed carry and such. When a cop shoots a kid, they really cannot advocate for jerking the guns away from the cops, they cannot get traction against assault rifles... what is in it for them that they have to go berserk every time? But rest assured, they will go berserk, every time.
Last edited by drjoker on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyphertext

Re: MN: Police officer shoots kills possible CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by cyphertext »

Jim Beaux wrote:Considering the agenda driven lies, half truths, incomplete or edited videos, & biased reporting in previous shootings, I question the judgement of all who have jumped to conclusions & condemned the LEO's behavior in this incident.

Remember the lessons of Trevon Martin & Hands up dont shoot -Wait for all the facts.
Agree...

mojo84
Posts in topic: 7

Re: MN: Police officer shoots kills CHL in traffic stop streamed live on Facebook as he dies

Post by mojo84 »

parabelum wrote:
This gentleman had been requested to show identification and he complied, officer knew he was licensed to carry. Lady in video showed great strength and did not lose it until the reality of situation kicked in.
How do you know the officer knew the guy had a license to carry? Was he shot before or after producing his identification? How do we know he had a valid license to carry?

I have no opinion on whether this was a good shoot or not as I do not have enough info. All I see is the aftermath of an officer involved shooting and a related party narrating in order to get her version of the story out.

I would hope my wife would be more interested in rendering aid and comforting me.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

"First of all; I don’t know why the NRA would issue a statement on Sterling (a convicted felon illegally in possession of a handgun who was resisting arrest and was shot after police gave him several opportunities to comply), but secondly, authorities had yet to confirm whether or not Castile did indeed possess a valid concealed carry permit."

http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/07/0 ... -evidence/

When Lies matter.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

parabelum
Posts in topic: 15

Post by parabelum »

Castile did, according to various sources, have a valid Minnesota LTC.

It kind of grinds my gears when some fail to realize that the shootings are mutually exclusive. In other words, there are thugs who deserve what they've got (Brown in Furgesson as an example), and there are American Citizens who did NOT deserve to get put down like an animal (Mr. Castile, Mr. Garner or Mr. Finnicum as an example).

I have family and close friends in LE. Majority are honorable and brave souls serving their communities with excellence. But,not all cops are good guys, just look at NYPD 77'th district.

I'll leave it at that.

http://m.startribune.com/philando-casti ... 386054481/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2705537

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

parabelum wrote:I was just now able to watch and hear the extensive stream/video.

This officer is one sorry piece of garbage, and I see him no different then the thugs who executed Finnicum.
You can even hear him curse afterwards at himself because he knows he messed up bad.

This gentleman had been requested to show identification and he complied, officer knew he was licensed to carry. Lady in video showed great strength and did not lose it until the reality of situation kicked in.

I hope this piece of garbage thug in uniform gets a murder charge for what he did.

He just embarrassed and denigrated all fine honorable officers who execute their task with diligence and professional restraint.

Not good.
Sources?
~Unknown

bigity

Post by bigity »

Do we not have dash cam or body cam footage? It seems like if there was footage (at least that exonerates the officer), it would be released as soon as possible.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Sources to contrary?

At some point common sense ought to kick in, don't you think so?

He had valid LTC. I gave you sources on that. Now, apply little logic. Valid LTC, kid in the back, and you expect me to believe that he did not comply, instead he was reaching for his gun?
With officer's voice and his verbal disposition to the aftermath, my opinion is that he (officer) knew that he made an error in judgment.

Yes, I believe officer was given verbal notice about LTC.
No, I don't believe that this man was reaching for anything other then his ID.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I deleted a video of a news story involving dispatch audio due to some cursing and graphic nature, but it's out there for anyone to look up.

Again, it is irritating when people clump the incidents together, and I could care less if it's one side doing it or the other.

T.Martin, Brown etc. are completely different cases from this one. Officer messed up here pretty bad, and MY OPINION HERE is that in THIS case race DID play a factor.

That's my opinion.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

parabelum wrote:Sources to contrary?

At some point common sense ought to kick in, don't you think so?

He had valid LTC. I gave you sources on that. Now, apply little logic. Valid LTC, kid in the back, and you expect me to believe that he did not comply, instead he was reaching for his gun?
With officer's voice and his verbal disposition to the aftermath, my opinion is that he (officer) knew that he made an error in judgment.

Yes, I believe officer was given verbal notice about LTC.
No, I don't believe that this man was reaching for anything other then his ID.
The only thing you guys didn’t see was when he shot.
False
Approximately a minute and a half later, comes the first report that there was a shooting.
True
she stated the vehicle had been pulled over for a ‘broken tail light’.
False
also allegations that the police left Castile to die in his vehicle after shooting him
False
The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery. The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide set nose,” the officer on the recording confirms.
True
He has a license to carry

??
the county people first believed to have issued Castile’s concealed carry permit did confirm their office did not issue his CCP:

@cameron_dehart Mr. Castile never applied for a permit to carry with our office. Therefore we did not issue his permit.
— Ramsey Sheriff (MN) (@RamseySheriff)
http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/07/0 ... -evidence/

Common sense is to wait for the facts
~Unknown

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

His permit was issued in Hennepin County.

He died in Ramsey County.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

parabelum wrote:His permit was issued in Hennepin County.

He died in Ramsey County.
Supposedly, as that is the county where he lived. Do you have a link to confirmation of his permit issued from that county?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

"This had nothing to do with race. This had everything to do with the presence of a gun," Kelly said. He said that Yanez, who is Latino and has served on the St. Anthony Police Force for four years, is distraught over the shooting."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /86969728/
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Return to “The Crime Blotter”