Time to move

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jusme
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Time to move

Post by Jusme »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
sbrawley wrote:
Jusme wrote:
sbrawley wrote:I took the POST and physical agility test this morning for Montgomery County and I'm pleased to say I passed both. I also have a physical test for Lubbock County in a couple of weeks. Hopefully some good changes will happen by summer.

Good luck sbrawley!

It will be a huge culture change for you if you end up in Lubbock County, but they are some of the best folks around.
Keep us updated.
Thanks.
As long as Lubbock isn't the size of Houston and preferably more rural, I think I'll/we'll adjust nicely. I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma and living in San Diego and now Houston have both been a culture shock. Ready to get back to small town life.
Lubbock is definitely NOT small town Oklahoma. It is over 185,000 in population. Rural Lubbock County, what there is left of it, is much like any other rural area, just with a big town next door.
Lubbock County is about 30 miles Square (900 Square miles)
City of Lubbock is about 61+/- Square miles.
More of Lubbock County is rural or small town than is urban.
The wind is "FUN" and the dust storms are nasty. Tornado Alley.

I spent most of my growing up years in West Texas, The Texas Panhandle, SW Kansas, NW Oklahoma and the Oklahoma Panhandle.

I lived in Amarillo 5 times between '54 and '96.

A man Asked me once what it was like where I grew up.
I told him you had three choices: You get tough, you leave or you die. I told him I was grown before I left. Nuff Said.

Never leave more than one window down or one door open at a time unless you want to empty the interior of your vehicle.
Yeah I was born in Lubbock, both of my parents graduated from Levelland HIgh School, my Grand parents lived in Littlefield and all of my relatives are buried in Levelland cemetery.
We moved to the DFW area when I was very young so I don't remember much about living there, but I visited at least 4-5 year as a child, and then traveled that area as a sales rep for many years. I always liked it, when the rain started during the dust storms, Nothing like having an inch of mud all over everything. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G.A. Heath »

Since I am about an hour south of Lubbock hit me up when you are next in the area. BTW the Gun Shak south of Lubbock just off slide is a great little store. Sharp shooters has higher prices and a wide selection. 1 indoor range and not my favorite place. A second is supposedly going to be built by a former city council member.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

Big enough and not too big, excellent medical centers, and they have a wonderful apple orchard just out of town where you can pick your own and pay at the door. An all around nice community.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G.A. Heath »

sbrawley wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:Since I am about an hour south of Lubbock hit me up when you are next in the area. BTW the Gun Shak south of Lubbock just off slide is a great little store. Sharp shooters has higher prices and a wide selection. 1 indoor range and not my favorite place. A second is supposedly going to be built by a former city council member.
Are you talking about the Ellis Gun Shak? I seen the pink sign as we were driving around the area. Found it ironic since my maternal grandmother was an Ellis.
That would be it. Beverly, who I believe owns it, is probably one the nicest female FFLs you will ever meet.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Good luck sbrawley! Lubbock is my birth town, my family moved to the DFW area when I was very young. But we would, "go back home" as my mother said, to visit grand parents, and great grand parents in Levelland and Littlefield about 5 times a year, so it seems like a second home town area for me.

Keep us updated, I know there are a lot of great folks living in that area.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Don't get me started, I live on a nice cul de sac, all nice houses with nice lawns. Last summer new owners moved in 2 houses down. 3 large pitbulls which they allowed to do their business in a common area, they didn't bother to pick up. Their grass is brown, at first they didn't bother to cut it. It's enough to make me want to move, I've already had to draw my weapon with one dog charging at me.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

That's awesome!!

Keep us updated.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

sbrawley wrote:The day after I submitted my history statement, Lubbock began calling my references. Today, they called to let me know that a few of references have been unreachable. We talked for about 15 minutes and I was told that due to my experience here with Harris County, that they were told to fast track my application and so far everything is looking good. At this rate, we could be out of Houston by this summer. :woohoo
Best of luck to you on your new job / location / home.

I hope you'll still be able to join us one or two more times for the Houston West Quadrant Breakfasts!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “The Crime Blotter”