Time to move

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Time to move

Post by bmwrdr »

I moved last year in May, not because of shooting but because of the influx of criminals in my old neighborhood. Broken glas, trash thrown of the balcony, scratch marks on my door handle and the fact of lesser English speaking neighbors over time helped making my decision to move. I think places with apartment buildings in the neighborhood are the root cause for civil problems, litter and burglaries.

:patriot:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

sbrawley wrote:2 shootings occurred in my neck of the woods the past couple of days,

First, 2 teenagers were shot outside of my local Studio Movie Grill, one sadly died
http://abc13.com/news/armed-suspect-kil ... l/1682086/

then,
yesterday morning at the North Cypress Medical Center, which is posted with both 06 and 07 signs, an individual shot inside the ER and was shot by two off duty deputies after raising the gun on them. I thought those signs were supposed to keep guns out :headscratch
http://abc13.com/news/deputy-shoots-arm ... r/1683852/
I saw that incident on the News and my first thought was :
"With my Uncle's cancer this last year, I've been in LOTS of hospitals posted 30.06 and 30.07 to keep out law abiding licenses handguns.
That's exactly why I carry my Laptop case with Kimber Pepper Blasters, HALT Dog Pepper sprays, folding Knives, a CONCEALED FOLDED RIFLE (Keltec Sub2000 in Glock 9mm configuration with the Glock 32 round magazine, and two spare Glock 17 mags 16 inches long when folded, easily fits laptop case or briefcase or large purse) at all hospitals posted to keep out law abiding licensees handguns."

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

When your neighborhood goes into decline either from marked criminality or homeowner maintenance neglect: MOVE!

After Katrina my old neighborhood went to Hades.

WE MOVED!

Yes, it's initially it's emotionally and financially stressful, but quite quickly you'll be very glad you did.

Don't try to ride it out. Things don't get better..

MOVE!

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

Abraham wrote:When your neighborhood goes into decline either from marked criminality or homeowner maintenance neglect: MOVE!

After Katrina my old neighborhood went to Hades.

WE MOVED!

Yes, it's initially it's emotionally and financially stressful, but quite quickly you'll be very glad you did.

Don't try to ride it out. Things don't get better..

MOVE!
In the course of a long life, a wise man will be prepared to abandon his baggage several times.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

Once the neighborhood tips into decline it rarely recovers. Move.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

sbrawley wrote:While the sheriff in Harris County was terminating the 287g program, the sheriff in Montgomery County is preparing to start the program and has invited us former officers to come work for him. I submitted my application yesterday and now I'm juggling the idea of moving up that way or just staying in my current home. At my current residence, it'll take the same amount of time to drive to that I am driving now. Our current HOA has left a terrible taste in my mouth and I do not want to deal with another one so if we do move it must not be under an HOA.
I've been searching online for homes in Montgomery County, but I don't know of any areas where there are no HOA's. Any assistance from those who know the area would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know your area but in mine, the Town will not allow any housing development that does not have an HOA. They view it as relieving the burden on the city code enforcement. We faced your exact situation - bad taste from a former HOA and a desire to be without one when we bought this house. It was plagued with termites and other problems. In retrospect, it might have been financially better to bull doze it and start fresh. But it does not have and will never have an HOA. I found that it takes getting into an older neighborhood to solve that problem. It can be a trade off. The problem with a lot of older neighborhoods is the one with crime that you are trying to get away from.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

sbrawley,

Contact a realtor in the area you want to move into.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

Abraham wrote:sbrawley,

Contact a realtor in the area you want to move into.
That is the fast path forward and does not change your cost. Unincorporated lots are getting thin. Values climbing. I just built a house on 1.5 acres with no utilities, no street frontage, rural by todays standards. It was valued at 30 G.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Alf

Post by Alf »

Get off the X

Jusme
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jusme »

sbrawley wrote:I took the POST and physical agility test this morning for Montgomery County and I'm pleased to say I passed both. I also have a physical test for Lubbock County in a couple of weeks. Hopefully some good changes will happen by summer.

Good luck sbrawley!

It will be a huge culture change for you if you end up in Lubbock County, but they are some of the best folks around.
Keep us updated.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

sbrawley wrote:
Jusme wrote:
sbrawley wrote:I took the POST and physical agility test this morning for Montgomery County and I'm pleased to say I passed both. I also have a physical test for Lubbock County in a couple of weeks. Hopefully some good changes will happen by summer.

Good luck sbrawley!

It will be a huge culture change for you if you end up in Lubbock County, but they are some of the best folks around.
Keep us updated.
Thanks.
As long as Lubbock isn't the size of Houston and preferably more rural, I think I'll/we'll adjust nicely. I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma and living in San Diego and now Houston have both been a culture shock. Ready to get back to small town life.
Lubbock is definitely NOT small town Oklahoma. It is over 185,000 in population. Rural Lubbock County, what there is left of it, is much like any other rural area, just with a big town next door.
Lubbock County is about 30 miles Square (900 Square miles)
City of Lubbock is about 61+/- Square miles.
More of Lubbock County is rural or small town than is urban.
The wind is "FUN" and the dust storms are nasty. Tornado Alley.

I spent most of my growing up years in West Texas, The Texas Panhandle, SW Kansas, NW Oklahoma and the Oklahoma Panhandle.

I lived in Amarillo 5 times between '54 and '96.

A man Asked me once what it was like where I grew up.
I told him you had three choices: You get tough, you leave or you die. I told him I was grown before I left. Nuff Said.

Never leave more than one window down or one door open at a time unless you want to empty the interior of your vehicle.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”